Anyone else dipped out of office 'Do' tonight?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
Forum Member
I have.
Although I have paid for it, my main reason is the fact that I've dragged myself into work all week really suffering and visibly ill. Gave a hint, said I was going home early this aft and just flopped.

Told two other colleagues who are going, at 4pm I was not upto it.

I am now on text message number 8 and phone call number three ( missed) - colleagues asking where I am and what time am I coming. The meal started at 7.30pm :confused:
Now feeling guilty as I feel a lot better after a sleep but a bit 'peed off' as the office controller and organiser of such 'do's' has obviously got others to phone and text. The last text was "shall I tell **** why you are not coming?"

Err, no, but.. WTF? Are they stalking me?
Quite happy with a Baileys here thanks....

Comments

• LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just turn your phone off & enjoy your baileys :D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, I was just voluntarily down the pub with all my colleagues who were in work today. We had our Christmas do last week, and it was awesome.

I think I'm just incredibly lucky that I have awesome colleagues so it's not a problem.

Now, at my LAST job... the last Christmas do a bunch of us basically scarfed as much free booze as we could then ducked out early to go watch a band somewhere else. I got to have free booze with my work friends, and then not have to spend much when we got to the gig.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I have, so I could go to footy tomorrow fresh as a daisy, and now the trains timetable means I miss the footy and miss the office do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    just turn your phone off & enjoy your baileys :D

:D Just done it Very nice the baileys is too :D
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Nah, I was just voluntarily down the pub with all my colleagues who were in work today. We had our Christmas do last week, and it was awesome.

I think I'm just incredibly lucky that I have awesome colleagues so it's not a problem.

Now, at my LAST job... .
    We have just merged and I also had/still have awesome colleagues but there is now a person who obviously feels threatened by our move to her patch that she has to control everything in her power, from down to what coffee we are allowed to drink on work breaks, to what opinions we are allowed to have, and even sent the dress code out for tonight as 'Black Tie'

We are not a bunch like that but even our manager ordered tiara and ball gown :eek:

Maybe I'll turn up later in me jeans n boots in the middle of her doing her stage speech thingy, saying how we are all working towards one cause..She ordered a microphone to do it
    Or perhaps not. She might not appreciate me drunk on baileys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours is tomorrow and I'm not going.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was unable to go to our official works 'do 2 weeks ago as I was ill, and we're missing out on our unofficial works night out tomorrow night because of the bloody snow - booked a table at a really nice restaurant in town and was going to go for drinks later, but we can't possibly do it, so I phoned them and re-scheduled for 15th January, so we've not lost out! Not been on any night's out for Christmas, but I'm determined to meet with friends in town for New Year's Eve and will battle through any snow as I need a good drink and a dance! D
    Forum Member
    Ours is tomorrow and I'm not going.
    Why? Please tell :)
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have.
    Although I have paid for it, my main reason is the fact that I've dragged myself into work all week really suffering and visibly ill. Gave a hint, said I was going home early this aft and just flopped.

I am now on text message number 8 and phone call number three ( missed) - colleagues asking where I am and what time am I coming. The meal started at 7.30pm :confused:
    Now feeling guilty as I feel a lot better after a sleep but a bit 'peed off' as the office controller and organiser of such 'do's' has obviously got others to phone and text. The last text was "shall I tell **** why you are not coming?"

That reminds me of the time when our office busybody sorry organiser had a go at me for not going to my office do.

I had great pleasure in telling her that I was going to another do that I had organised (not work related) and I had to be there as 500 people were coming plus the local press.

Didnt half shut her up
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    That reminds me of the time when our office busybody sorry organiser had a go at me for not going to my office do.

I had great pleasure in telling her that I was going to another do that I had organised (not work related) and I had to be there as 500 people were coming plus the local press.

Didnt half shut her up
    Lucky you that you had a pre-empted reason. Might have made me feel a tad better but realistically I'm not so lucky, neither is anyone that works here actually, because 'the 500 people and local press' are no good at relaying the true facts and she has all the experience in this field. She has seen it all before and is the only one that can move this project forward.
    If anyone dares to say they have any hobbies or interests outside of work, hers are much better and she knows more than you. She makes people feel like mice.
    I challenged her 2 weeks ago when she swore at me in front of my manager and other colleagues. My manager said she must have been stressed out. ...I work for a local authority.

Looking forward to Monday. I am so going to get done!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I work for a largish company who hired out a swanky country-house hotel for the Christmas party. By 2:30am, my boss's boss was trying to give me dating advice and even invited the heavily pregnant HR manager to try and fix me up with someone. Anyone.

I wish I `dipped out' of that one :o
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We had ours last night I was off today.

This was the first of the three we had I went to.

We had department meal didnt go as dont like that many of them.

Didn't go to the company do as people seem to go to these to be seen as a way of getting on.

Did got to our team one just drinks round the pubs, however we split up as someone was trying to drag everyone around pubs they did not really want to go to.

It was ok once we lost some people :o
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did. Not a good idea to mix alcohol and workmates!!
  • carriebebecarriebebe Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    my works christmas night out is tomorrow night and im not going either somebody was going to have to work so i said i would do it as an excuse not to go :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to my xmas do but arrived a couple of hours late - it was already over!

Not exactly party animals this lot...
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my work mates, they're a f*cking awesome laugh. Spent from bout midday till bout 30 mins ago drinking and occasionally eating, and it was all free! Think the boss is going to wake up with a 4 figure bar bill tomorrow :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I missed my school Christmas party, that's always a laugh too :(
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    We had ours last night I was off today.

This was the first of the three we had I went to.

We had department meal didnt go as dont like that many of them.

Didn't go to the company do as people seem to go to these to be seen as a way of getting on.

Did got to our team one just drinks round the pubs, however we split up as someone was trying to drag everyone around pubs they did not really want to go to.

It was ok once we lost some people :o
    Sounds like my kind of 'Do' - I mean losing some people:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have.

I'm astounded they're so interested. With most office do's it would literally be a two second wonder that a given individual was not attending. Then they'd forget all about you.

edit: just read about the uber controlling person you were referring to ~ not good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, OP, for sticking to your guns and staying away. After all, it's YOUR free time they're asking you to give up so they can have a circle-jerk, and if you don't want to be part of it, that's up to you.

I hate it when managers get all arsey and cross with you for not wanting to go. Some people just want to work and be done with it.

Now that I work alone, the office party isn't much fun anyway: touching myself up behind the filing cabinet, and sitting at the back of the bus on the way home all my meself...
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed mine so much last week that I'm going to someone else's this weekend.

I'm probably lucky in that ours only generally have 6/7 people attending.
    Forum Member
    Well done, OP, for sticking to your guns and staying away. After all, it's YOUR free time they're asking you to give up so they can have a circle-jerk, and if you don't want to be part of it, that's up to you.

I hate it when managers get all arsey and cross with you for not wanting to go. Some people just want to work and be done with it.

Now that I work alone, the office party isn't much fun anyway: touching myself up behind the filing cabinet, and sitting at the back of the bus on the way home all my meself...
    Thanks! BTW shes not a manager, she's an equal..:mad:
    Circle Jerk? - Like that.
    Should I join you behind the filing cab?
    Eww no!! you're touching yr self up:o
    Can't afford the bus ticket

How about a nice cup of tea? with a dash of baileys:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! BTW shes not a manager, she's an equal..:mad:
    Circle Jerk? - Like that.
    Should I join you behind the filing cab?
    Eww no!! you're touching yr self up:o
    Can't afford the bus ticket

How about a nice cup of tea? with a dash of baileys:)

Ooh, yes, please - make it an extra large dash ;)
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    My work night out is tomorrow night and I am looking forward to it and praying the snow stays away. My husbands work night out also tomorrow but he is not as much of a party animal as me and has told them he won't be going. Each to their own but I think it is very rude if anyone leads folk to expect them to go and doesn't tell them they have no intention of turning up. It just leads people to (who have manners) to wait around before starting dinner etc on the non attendee, much better and common courtesy to be upfront.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I'm astounded they're so interested. With most office do's it would literally be a two second wonder that a given individual was not attending. Then they'd forget all about you.

edit: just read about the uber controlling person you were referring to ~ not good.
    I know, just had such a laugh on here tonight (thanks everyone)- light relief, as I know I will get it in the neck on Monday and the days after. Where is the thingy for 'Not Bovvered?'
    I will deal with it in all seriousness, somehow