Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

I suspect the reviewer has not done their job properly...

Fluff ? No way :mad:
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the series we know and love written about by a person who has never, apparently, watched it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    It's the series we know and love written about by a person who has never, apparently, watched it. :)

Well said...

Philistine !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Well said...

Philistine !

I find it strange that so many Internet reviewers don't have to disclose their name. Unless it is hidden somewhere...
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched S4E7 with Biff and we noticed a few things:

1. Pauline has the same nasty unappreciative mindset towards Al that LG sometimes has towards DM in S5. He goes to DM to kindly ask him to change her resume, and he's really good at what he says; DM is just intransigent. That was so nice of Al and so well said! Yet, Pauline blames Al for not doing a good job, instead of thanking him for trying as she is walking the puddle.

2. DM gets the letter of acceptance, however he has already gotten Chris to get a new doc for the clinic, as he tells Pauline. That is, DM was so confident of his getting the position after the communication with Dr. Dashwood, he contacted Chris that he is for sure leaving and got Chris to organize a new doc search. All this BEFORE he had his contract in hand. Also, the contract needed to be sent back within 31 days for it to be set, and we never do see DM sending it back to the hospital. Did he? We assume so, as he is told he'll have to wait six weeks for his job in S5, so it seems clear he accepted.

3. DM does not tell Edith he got the position. She tells him she wants him to mingle with others at the hotel to try to promote his getting the job, when he cuts open the bag of blood, and he does not mention, "Oh, I've got the job". Later, when she calls from the hotel, she is all excited that a woman doc on the Imperial Board will be there, and suggesting if DM speaks to her he'll have a better chance. He still does not say he already got the letter.

Why is he not telling her the good news? Why does he hold back?

Okay, you are going to make me watch it again! A re-re-watch. Most intriguing observations.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I like the dialogue between DM & LG through the car window. At the shower the re-gifting of some of the presents was a little extreme.

Did DM's medical school training allow him to pack at least one suit, two shirt, etc into a carry on bag, which when he handled it seemed as light as a feather?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was wondering the same thing - if by fluff the writer means trivial, no-- it is not a trivial series. You learn alot along the way, both practical medical terms, treatments, how the British health care system operates, and, of course, how two very different people found each other and how they are working on their relationship. Plus, a bonus for me, that beautiful English fishing village of Portwenn and its surroundings. Lastly, the great care and time the writers take to write the episodes. I suspect this person has never seen the series until assigned to critique it, and then, possibly one, two episodes, if even that. Some people never do their homework, properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched S4E7 with Biff and we noticed a few things:

1. Pauline has the same nasty unappreciative mindset towards Al that LG sometimes has towards DM in S5. He goes to DM to kindly ask him to change her resume, and he's really good at what he says; DM is just intransigent. That was so nice of Al and so well said! Yet, Pauline blames Al for not doing a good job, instead of thanking him for trying as she is walking the puddle.

2. DM gets the letter of acceptance, however he has already gotten Chris to get a new doc for the clinic, as he tells Pauline. That is, DM was so confident of his getting the position after the communication with Dr. Dashwood, he contacted Chris that he is for sure leaving and got Chris to organize a new doc search. All this BEFORE he had his contract in hand. Also, the contract needed to be sent back within 31 days for it to be set, and we never do see DM sending it back to the hospital. Did he? We assume so, as he is told he'll have to wait six weeks for his job in S5, so it seems clear he accepted.

3. DM does not tell Edith he got the position. She tells him she wants him to mingle with others at the hotel to try to promote his getting the job, when he cuts open the bag of blood, and he does not mention, "Oh, I've got the job". Later, when she calls from the hotel, she is all excited that a woman doc on the Imperial Board will be there, and suggesting if DM speaks to her he'll have a better chance. He still does not say he already got the letter.

Why is he not telling her the good news? Why does he hold back?

It doesn't matter what anyone watches and comments on but we are on S4 e8 this week aren't we? I've had a couple of chaotic weeks and hope that I haven't stuffed it up for everyone. :)

NewPark has mentioned s4 e7 a number of times which is fine but this week in the re-watch it is the episode after this one. The final in series 4.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what anyone watches and comments on but we are on S4 e8 this week aren't we? I've had a couple of chaotic weeks and hope that I haven't stuffed it up for everyone. :)

NewPark has mentioned s4 e7 a number of times which is fine but this week in the re-watch it is the episode after this one. The final in series 4.

and I have in fact watched it, but will wait a bit to comment until others have had a chance. That last scene never gets old!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    Did DM's medical school training allow him to pack at least one suit, two shirt, etc into a carry on bag, which when he handled it seemed as light as a feather?

It's because he's so strong and virle! :cool::):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »

Oh dear. Renee has gone Bodmin. Aren't we all jealous? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Oh dear. Renee has gone Bodmin. Aren't we all jealous? :)

:D:D:D

I came on the forum today to get a bit cheered up and lo and behold I found Renee's post! Thank you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Prove it! Where's the Doc? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, prompted by daughter's report last night of 2 inches of snow on the ground in Cambridge, I checked the weather today in Port Isaac -- 37 degrees and hazy. Perhaps not too much outdoor filming?

No reports of filming yet I note, and Rory Wilton -- he who has a "big part" in E1 as Chippy Miller the crab man, is still tweeting about being in Exeter doing a part in "The Incomers."

On another note -- very strange to watch AJ in the last few scenes of S4E8, knowing that in a very few hours she will have crashed into a gorse bush and died of a heart attack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read an old article on DM/DM (Doc Martin/Dominic Minghella) where Minghella says he wrote the Doc's character as an autistic side of himself. This from 2004. In this article, the writer also refers to Minghella as "Minghella Minor," referencing his being the baby brother of the renowned Anthony, and sort of living in his shadow. Dominic says rather than being intimidated, it was empowering as seeing what his brother became gave him a sense of the possibilities for himself.

I want to mention the Doc's gentleness, an endearing quality shown almost exclusively with Louisa until the emergence of baby James. Doesn't this gentleness come at least in part from a certain sensitivity, compassion, and empathy? It shows the Doc does have the ability to change, and can choose a softer behavior when he wants. He, at least sometimes, recognizes what seems to be called for, but - out of anger, frustration, stubbornness, a judgmental/critical stance, even a certain misplaced integrity - he generally chooses NOT to "play the game."
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to mention the Doc's gentleness, an endearing quality shown almost exclusively with Louisa until the emergence of baby James. Doesn't this gentleness come at least in part from a certain sensitivity, compassion, and empathy? It shows the Doc does have the ability to change, and can choose a softer behavior when he wants. He, at least sometimes, recognizes what seems to be called for, but - out of anger, frustration, stubbornness, a judgmental/critical stance, even a certain misplaced integrity - he generally chooses NOT to "play the game."

Yes, it is so interesting to see how gentle he is when talking to Louisa. It will be interesting in our S5 rewatch to look for that - along with looking for the comedy ;)

I have been doing a little study of conversations between Martin and Louisa and have really noticed something interesting - especially in looking at the subtitles. Martin stutters quite a bit and uses a lot of "um"s when talking to her. You don't see that when he is talking to other people so much and Louisa doesn't fumble as much in her conversations with him. This really shows how much she has knocked him off-kilter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just found this article which I hadn't seen before, done in 2004 just after Doc Martin filming for first series.
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Culture%3a+He%27s+still+behaving+badly%3b+Affable+Martin+Clunes+had+to...-a0121485889

And this one: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Paddy+Shennan%3a+Doc+Martin%27s+a+real+tonic%3b+.+.+.+but+cab-driver+Neil%27s...-a0121616603

Where did you find the DM/DM article?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prove it! Where's the Doc? :)

In the bedroom. :cool:
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course he is. Where else would you have him handcuffed to the bedpost? :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beg to differ, dear, but he was right here with me as I watched "Reggie Perrin" series 2! :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just had to explain to Dominic Minghella on twitter why the two onions were in this picture. Told him we see onions frequently in the show. In Louisa's car, Doc's shed, and in his kitchen. I also told him the Doc held an eggplant and two vegetables in his hand once. ;)
    Can't believe I had to explain to him about his own show! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many good scenes. The one in the beginning, where Edith sweeps into the surgery, is just about perfect, I think. Martin delivering the line "It really doesn't" --great.

The scene in the schoolyard is one of the most poignant of the series. I think, even at that date, Louisa was still holding out some small hope that he would be able to offer her something more than post-dated checks -- but, although he clearly wanted things to be different, he couldn't get himself to the point of doing anything effective about it.

I love the three bearded "wisemen" and the nativity star on the door.

As DM is leaving the surgery for the last time, he does glance over to Louisa's house, with an expression of regret, I think. And when the mover says "somebody's here to say goodbye" you can see when he eagerly glances around, that he hopes/wishes that it would be Louisa, and some miraculous way to move them past their impasse.

Such a well-written, carefully plotted episode.

I've always wondered, how did they get those pictures of the newborn? Are they all carefully spliced in, or did they somehow get an actual newborn on set? because that baby looks very, very young.
This discussion has been closed.