Cineworld Rip-Off Prices

MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do not go to Cineworld very often these days because of the rip off charges. However, I made an exception today cos being a Trekkie I wanted to see the new Star Trek movie.

Damn good it was too.

However, for a concessionary ticket and a jumbo hot dog I was charged a whopping £11.15.

Now, many of you will say, "well, if you do not wish to pay the price, just do not go."

Which is a fair comment. Now, it has been recently announced that family incomes in the UK are some of the lowest in Europe and have been sliding down the income scale during the past eight years. So, if businesses wish to compete and get their customers in, they should seriously think about reducing their prices. Rip-off Britain needs to be buried once and for all.

Comments

• Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really would like to see the new Trek film, but my nearest cinema is a 50 mile round trip (£7.50 in petrol) and the cinema is I think £7.90.

However, in 4 months time, the Blu-ray rip will be free.

Blockbuster closed in town last year. The next nearest Blockbuster 25 miles away has shut down, and there's no where locally to buy films except Tesco's tiny rip off priced selection (£20 for single disc Blu-ray anyone?), so what's a bear to do?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Is this the same Cineworld that lets you watch as many movies as you want, in an environment that cannot be equaled anywhere else, all for £15 a month.

The bast**ds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Is this the same Cineworld that lets you watch as many movies as you want, in an environment that cannot be equaled anywhere else, all for £15 a month.

The bast**ds.

That's a great deal if you go to the cinema loads, some people don't though.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I do not go to Cineworld very often these days because of the rip off charges. However, I made an exception today cos being a Trekkie I wanted to see the new Star Trek movie.

Damn good it was too.

However, for a concessionary ticket and a jumbo hot dog I was charged a whopping £11.15.

Now, many of you will say, "well, if you do not wish to pay the price, just do not go."

Which is a fair comment. Now, it has been recently announced that family incomes in the UK are some of the lowest in Europe and have been sliding down the income scale during the past eight years. So, if businesses wish to compete and get their customers in, they should seriously think about reducing their prices. Rip-off Britain needs to be buried once and for all.

£11.15 for a couple of hours entertainment and some food is pretty good value compared to, well, just about anything.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think that cinema will still be around in 10 years time?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »

Damn good it was too.

£11.15 for a ticket *and* a hotdog?

It cost me £10.15 just for a ticket to Star Trek Into Darkness (2D) at my local Vue last Wednesday night...
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    I really would like to see the new Trek film, but my nearest cinema is a 50 mile round trip (£7.50 in petrol) and the cinema is I think £7.90.

Blockbuster closed in town last year. The next nearest Blockbuster 25 miles away has shut down, and there's no where locally to buy films except Tesco's tiny rip off priced selection (£20 for single disc Blu-ray anyone?), so what's a bear to do?

You could always buy Blu-rays online, instead of using the distance to the cinema and the lack of a local Blockbuster as justification for piracy ;)

Amazon has Life of Pi (BD + UV) for £15, Django Unchained (BD + UV) for £15, Les Mis (BD + UV + Digital Copy) for £17, Argo (BD + UV) for £17, Silver Linings Playbook (BD) for £14, The Hobbit (BD + UV) for £17, The Hobbit (BD + 3D BD + UV) for £20, Lincoln (BD + UV) for £15...
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Yes but it will be art house cinemas like the Cameo or Filmhouse here in Edinburgh, cinema is dying, in ten or 15 years time I can see new releases sent straight to the consumer via on demand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Yes but it will be art house cinemas like the Cameo or Filmhouse here in Edinburgh, cinema is dying, in ten or 15 years time I can see new releases sent straight to the consumer via on demand.

Yeah, cinema is definitely dying...that's why Iron Man 3 is nearing $1 billion in worldwide box office takings in less than a month...:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Several indie film companies in the UK and US now do simultaneous on demand and theatrical releases. Though is primarily to combat the fact that indie films tend not to get as much coverage as blockbusters. And I remember an interview with several studio heads saying they thought this was the way all releases were likely to go.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »

You dont have to go a lot. If you go twice a month the card has paid for itself.

Its very good value for money to say the least.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here I wish to see the Star Trek film but our closest one is Colchester or Ipswich.
    Though going to Dorset next week if there is one close by them might go see it on a wet day.
    Last film I saw before ours closed was Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes.
    Our one was quite old but not expensive about £3.50 to get in.
    Shame it closed.
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »

Given that cinema admissions grew dramatically during the 90's since the bad days of the early 80's, and continue to remain stable now, it seems unlikely that the industry will go away any time soon.

People still like going to the cinema. Compared to most other ways to spend an evening out it's cheap, and if you can't find a way to see a film for less than a fiver you aren't really trying hard enough.
    Forum Member
    You dont have to go a lot. If you go twice a month the card has paid for itself.

Its very good value for money to say the least.

Unlimited cards can be used for 2-1 tickets on Orange (EE) wednesdays as well. That's one trip a month and its paid for itself.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

The bast**ds.

and discounts on food and drink on top of that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »

you dont have to go loads,if your going 2 times a month which is quite easy to do,your already up on the deal,even more so when you factor in Orange Wednesdays too
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Food deals are indeed extremely expensive, which is why we hardly ever buy anything to eat or drink there (just for my daughter occasionally).

However with the likes of Orange Wednesday, 10% off for booking online, Unlimited tickets and £1 film for juniors on Saturday and Sunday I find their tickets quite reasonable.

And these days I'm afraid a cost of £11.15 does not count as whopping.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    why buy grub in there, bring your own like most do
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Unlimited cards can be used for 2-1 tickets on Orange (EE) wednesdays as well. That's one trip a month and its paid for itself.

I was wondering about that...assumed it would be too good to be true though. Cheers for setting me straight.

I'm on Orange too so all I have to do now is find a girlfriend to take :D
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Total bolox of course. You cannot compare a big blockbuster on a huge screen to sitting in your front room. There are now 4d cinemas opening to give you other effects like seats shaking etc. Cinema will never die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Total bolox of course. You cannot compare a big blockbuster on a huge screen to sitting in your front room. There are now 4d cinemas opening to give you other effects like seats shaking etc. Cinema will never die.

The technology to do this at home also exists. Several films have DBOX (which is essentially seat shaking technology) versions on their DVDs and Blu Rays. It's actually been used on quite a large number of films including the Hobbit, Wreck-It-Ralph, Prometheus and The Hunger Games (but it's not always included on the DVD/BD release).

Also, cinemas make me uneasy and the smell of popcorn makes me want to vomit. The sooner simultaneous releases get here the better...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

Agreed,VOD will probably become more day and date,but all that will happen is the consumer will get the option to watch it wherever they choose,be it Cinema,VOD

those that want to watch it at home will watch it on VOD,and those that want the Big Screen experience will continue to frequent Cinemas
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I think I paid £10.95 for a seat the last time I went to the vue cinema. I was given a £5 gift voucher and that did not even get me a hot dog.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

And these days I'm afraid a cost of £11.15 does not count as whopping.

It is when you've got a family of 5.
    We have a Vue locally which we hardly go to these days as thankfully the older original 3 screen cinema thats 5 miles away has recently had a refurb with new screens,projectors,seating and gone for the bums on seats approach and lowered its prices to £2.50 mon-fri, £3.50 sat-sun and shows all the latest films. Its no surprise that pretty much every showing of the 3 films is sold out everyday.
    So for 5 of us including travel is still cheaper than 2 tickets would be going to Vue.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I think I paid £10.95 for a seat the last time I went to the vue cinema. I was given a £5 gift voucher and that did not even get me a hot dog.
    not been since they show u2 on 3d
    an the feature film
    was lord of the rings
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem.