do you think its ok to hate a religion

Comments

• fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jingoistic, tree-hugging, sound-bite nonsense.

What does it even mean out in the real world away from posting such lines on forums?

Hate something enough and you have the motivation to do something about it. That's all!

What are you planning to do about it then??
  • curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose its ok to hate whatever bugs you enough to hate, religion is ok we dont always agree with religious "beliefs" but it is when those beliefs are forced or imposed on non believers that is wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It's fine to hate a religion as long as you don't go around screeching about it and calling everyone who does like it names. I don't hate any religion. I hate fanatics of any religion.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of religions worldwide. I'm bound to hate at least one of them. I only know bits and bobs about three different religions though. At the moment I can't be bothered to find out much more. Maybe one day.
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure hate is the right word, but it's fine not to respect a religion.

Why the hell should we respect any religion?
    People don't respect Scientology, they laugh at it, yet it's no more ridiculous than Christianity or any other religion.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... on the other hand the Hounslow Sikh temple feeds 4000 people for free every day - its part of their religion.
    Don't see so many whingeing haters doing that, do you.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does it even mean out in the real world away from posting such lines on forums?

Hate something enough and you have the motivation to do something about it. That's all!

What is someone going to do if their neighbor or co-worker belongs to a religion he hates?

This isn't sounding very practical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    What is someone going to do if their neighbor or co-worker belongs to a religion he hates?

This isn't sounding very practical.

Not very well thought through. But then hatred is an irrational emotion.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OFFS! How many times!

NO! It isn't the exact same thing at all.

Atheists have nothing to prove and have reality backing them up.
    No one has anything to prove re religion.
    ALL religions have nothing, zero, zilch to back up THEIR claims.
    Rubbish, Just because you don't accept it doesn't make it zilch. Similarly as there is no proof that God doesn't exist doesn't mean that atheists (i.e. those who positively believe in the non existence of God as opposed to non-theists) have zilch to back up their beliefs.
    Asking the religious to back up their nonsense is not preaching anything, it's asking the most basic fully expected questions that 100% of the time in all of history, the religious have failed to answer.
    Preaching that there is no God is still preaching.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    Your complaint about people making knee jerk accussations if you question aspects of Islam.

A fair number of atheists do the same thing to people who believe in God, when it's patently obvious that, collectivelly, believers or no more afflicted with mental impairments than anyone else.
    Not necessarily obvious to stupid people and they are unfortunately well represented amongst theists and non-theists , (including atheists).
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    OFFS! How many times!

NO! It isn't the exact same thing at all.

Atheists have nothing to prove and have reality backing them up.

ALL religions have nothing, zero, zilch to back up THEIR claims.

Asking the religious to back up their nonsense is not preaching anything, it's asking the most basic fully expected questions that 100% of the time in all of history, the religious have failed to answer.

Well I disagree because atheists don't have proof there isn't a God, there will always be arguments to back up both sides...but that wasn't even what I said...
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    No one has anything to prove re religion.
    Rubbish, Just because you don't accept it doesn't make it zilch. Similarly as there is no proof that God doesn't exist doesn't mean that atheists (i.e. those who positively believe in the non existence of God as opposed to non-theists) have zilch to back up their beliefs.

Preaching that there is no God is still preaching.

Didn't see this post *thumbs up*
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt_Maher wrote: »
    I'm not sure hate is the right word, but it's fine not to respect a religion.

Why the hell should we respect any religion?
    People don't respect Scientology, they laugh at it, yet it's no more ridiculous than Christianity or any other religion.

While some parts of Scientology are laughable and public mockery has proven to be a good tactic in the bid to dismantle the 'church', I hate it because of the abuse both members and critics are subjected to.

I have read and listened to the stories of how children have been abused by this cult in the UK and since nothing has changed I can't help but wonder if there are kids suffering right now and being used as forced labour in leafy East Grinstead as social services continue to turn a blind eye.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never sure that hate is a good thing to allow too much sway over your life but if someone chooses to dislike a religion or religion then that's there choice.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Linseyap wrote: »
    Well I disagree because atheists don't have proof there isn't a God, there will always be arguments to back up both sides...but that wasn't even what I said...

The onus isn't on atheists to disprove anything. If I made an outlandish statement wouldn't you expect me to be able to back it up with at least a modicum of evidence? Take conspiracy theorists. They believe that NASA faked the moon landings and they provide ample 'evidence' to support their claim. Whatever you think of this evidence, at least they put it forward.

Religion also makes outlandish claims. Is it really that unreasonable to ask for evidence to support them? When people claim that the moon landings were fake it's natural, as thinking human beings, to say 'Show me the evidence'. If people say a personal god exists, isn't it also natural for thinking human beings to say 'Show me the evidence'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to illustrate that.
    can you prove there are no unicorns?
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    While some parts of Scientology are laughable and public mockery has proven to be a good tactic in the bid to dismantle the 'church', I hate it because of the abuse both members and critics are subjected to.

I have read and listened to the stories of how children have been abused by this cult in the UK and since nothing has changed I can't help but wonder if there are kids suffering right now and being used as forced labour in leafy East Grinstead as social services continue to turn a blind eye.

You could be talking about the Catholic Church in the second part of your post too.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curlywurly wrote: »
    i suppose its ok to hate whatever bugs you enough to hate, religion is ok we dont always agree with religious "beliefs" but it is when those beliefs are forced or imposed on non believers that is wrong.

I agree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

And you hate religion so much that you have to call believers all sorts of nasty names.
    Well once you have been on the receiving end of their nonsense and the vile things they say based on nothing but nonsense, like every gay person has, then you might just hate them all and all they stand for.

These people try to change laws to force everyone to their nonsense, YES! That is their mindset. They actually believe in fairy stories so completely that they feel everyone should be force to not upset a non-existent thing.

Are all religious people like this though?
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Hating a religion is like hating a star. The religion isn't the problem, it's the people who follow & interpret the religion

So are you saying that all religious people are a problem?
    Forum Member
    The onus isn't on atheists to disprove anything. If I made an outlandish statement wouldn't you expect me to be able to back it up with at least a modicum of evidence? Take conspiracy theorists. They believe that NASA faked the moon landings and they provide ample 'evidence' to support their claim. Whatever you think of this evidence, at least they put it forward.

Religion also makes outlandish claims. Is it really that unreasonable to ask for evidence to support them? When people claim that the moon landings were fake it's natural, as thinking human beings, to say 'Show me the evidence'. If people say a personal god exists, isn't it also natural for thinking human beings to say 'Show me the evidence'?

But if atheists want religion gone and prove they are right they would have to prove it wrong. As I said, both side can always come back with an answer to back up their beliefs, there are endless debates, books, articles, what have you doing just that. But again, that wasn't even what I was talking about in the first place!
    alan29 wrote: »
    Just to illustrate that.
    can you prove there are no unicorns?

No but unicorns would be walking the earth so they'd be easier to find and prove than an invisible deity. Not really the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but unicorns would be walking the earth so they'd be easier to find and prove than an invisible deity. Not really the same thing.

Fair point.
    OK, prove there are no invisible unicorns.
    It can't be done, because it is impossible to prove something doesn't exist. Believers and unbelievers have the same problem ...... there is no definitive proof either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Not necessarily obvious to stupid people and they are unfortunately well represented amongst theists and non-theists , (including atheists).

Yes, I've never really bought the line that atheism and intelligence are linked, or somehow one is neccessary for the other, having come across stupid, irrational people on both sides of the yawning chasm.
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Fair point.
    OK, prove there are no invisible unicorns.
    It can't be done, because it is impossible to prove something doesn't exist. Believers and unbelievers have the same problem ...... there is no definitive proof either way.

Exactly what I'm saying. Although I'm not sure it's a problem, wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed :p
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't hate what I don't believe in.

It's people down here on earth which cause problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well once you have been on the receiving end of their nonsense and the vile things they say based on nothing but nonsense, like every gay person has, then you might just hate them all and all they stand for.

These people try to change laws to force everyone to their nonsense, YES! That is their mindset. They actually believe in fairy stories so completely that they feel everyone should be force to not upset a non-existent thing.

I'm a gay man and I don't hate religion. Granted I hate some religious people for their nastiness but I've found others who are truely good, inspirational people, who do not judge and respect everyone.

On the other hand I've met some effing vile gay men, full of hate, spite and bigotry towards just about everyone.

Of course most people fall somewhere inbetween, as is human nature.