Freezing meat

Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
Forum Member
Hi all.

I'm off to the supermarket soon to buy some joints of beef, lamb, pork and some other bits. They are for xmas and also into the new year.

How long will they last in the freezer?

Ta

Comments

• Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm off to the supermarket soon to buy some joints of beef, lamb, pork and some other bits. They are for xmas and also into the new year.

How long will they last in the freezer?

Ta

Should be okay for at least 3 months I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beef joint - 8 months
    Lamb, pork and veal joints - 6 months

Source: http://www.helpwithcooking.com/food-storage/freezing-meat.html
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Cheers.

I'll stock up. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also depends upon the type of freezer and what star rating it has. Not everybody has a large chest freezer.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Prontopro wrote: »
    It also depends upon the type of freezer and what star rating it has. Not everybody has a large chest freezer.

If the OP is buying multiple joints of meat I think it's safe to assume they have a large freezer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the OP is buying multiple joints of meat I think it's safe to assume they have a large freezer.

I can fit large joints of meat into my freezer and it's just half of a fridge-freezer. I get 3/4 months grace on that although I have guts of steel so do store things for longer and haven't died yet. I miss my chest freezer, it served me well. :)
    Forum Member
    I have a chest freezer. Just bought 5 joints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a chest freezer. Just bought 5 joints.

So are you're going to invite us round for Xmas dinner now? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :oI thought you'd left your flies open TT!:o
    Forum Member
    sahalouise wrote: »
    So are you're going to invite us round for Xmas dinner now? :p

LOL
    No chance.:D

These joints don't look big enough to feed the 6 of us and the mother in law whose coming along.
    Forum Member
    :oI thought you'd left your flies open TT!:o

PMSL.

:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last sunday we had a shoulder of lamb that had been in the freezer over a year - it was beautiful. I don't really go by the recommended freezer times...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL
    No chance.:D

These joints don't look big enough to feed the 6 of us and the mother in law whose coming along.

If the MIL is coming, then you MUST get it right as she'll never let you live it down.

Secondly, if the joints don't look big enough, then you ought to get bigger Rizla or a cheaper supplier!!!!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Last sunday we had a shoulder of lamb that had been in the freezer over a year - it was beautiful. I don't really go by the recommended freezer times...

I dont either. I have some joints in my freezer that i bought in January. I will use them soon, but i like a joint of meat on a sunday in winter - whereas in the summer we have more BBQs.
    Forum Member
    If the MIL is coming, then you MUST get it right as she'll never let you live it down.

Secondly, if the joints don't look big enough, then you ought to get bigger Rizla or a cheaper supplier!!!!

Ha ha. I like your wit. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha. I like your wit. :D

Thank you..............I'm here all week!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a pork shoulder joint in the freezer for over 18 months :eek: and defrosted and ate it last weekend. My OH is a non-believer in dates being on most pre-packed groceries, never mind frozen so he was laughing at me when I was saying I'm sure we should have eaten that over a year ago...

He was right though :mad:, it cooked beautifully and was delicious.

I don't know exactly what's supposed to happen to frozen food once its passed its 'use-by' date :confused:
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching a repeat of Antiques Roadshow on Yesterday. This guy bought in a tin that was one of the very first tins of meat ever produced.

Apparently it contained Veal and was made in the early 1800s. It went on two trips to the Arctic without ever being opened. It was eventually opened sometime just before World War 2 over 100 years after being sealed.

Apparently when tested it was found to be safe to eat!

So if you want to keep stuff for a while find a tin, a vacuum pump and a welder :D
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I was watching a repeat of Antiques Roadshow on Yesterday. This guy bought in a tin that was one of the very first tins of meat ever produced.

Apparently it contained Veal and was made in the early 1800s. It went on two trips to the Arctic without ever being opened. It was eventually opened sometime just before World War 2 over 100 years after being sealed.

Apparently when tested it was found to be safe to eat!

How much was it worth though?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much was it worth though?
    No more than a couple of hundred as I recall.

Mind you if it had touched the hand of Captain Scott and gone to the Antarctic instead it would have been a hell of a lot more apparently!