Does anyone else NOT like seeing people humiliated in the interviews?

JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find the interviews the least palatable part of the entire procedure. The interviews bully people just because they know they can get away with it. To me they actually come across a lot worse than the candidates as their bullying is a lot worse than anything we see in the tasks.

If anyone carried on like this in r/l people would walk out of the interview and the interviewer could well get a punch in the face for good measure.

Of course, here, the candidates have already invested so much both in time and emotionally that this isn't an option.

Surely there must be others who don't find this sort of spectacle entertaining?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the interviews :o. They do sometimes take it too far. But then some of its deserved, some of thestuff I've seen the candidates come out with isnt right for the interview
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I find that there is fine line between an in-depth dissection of the candidates' statements on a CV and being nasty about them.

Usually on the Apprentice they stay on the right side - even with the likes of James last year when he made some stupid statement about bring stupidity to the mix (or something like that). Like most other people - I don't really enjoy seeing someone being ripped apart on national TV in the name of "entertainment" - which is why I don't always appreciate the critiques of Jason Gardner and Craig Revel Horwood on other programmes. However - we have all seen Stuart bullshining his way through the series so it will be fun to see him being brought back down to earth - so I'm happy to make an exception in his case!

Also - these guys are after a high flying high paying job at the end of the day - and the employer can make his selection any way he likes. Multiple high pressure interviews are a matter of course for most jobs of this type - I think my dear hubby had 7 interviews in total for his latest job - starting from the intial approach by the headhunter and finishing with the CEO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I can never understand why they cant give as good as they get.
    They should study their 'bullies' files and put them on the spot a bit as well.
    LS would like that.
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    notary wrote: »
    I can never understand why they cant give as good as they get.
    They should study their 'bullies' files and put them on the spot a bit as well.
    LS would like that.

That's one of the elements of the 'bullying'. If they got one up on the interviewers it would just be edited out. (Because we've never seen that and I can't believe it's never happened. Plus it wouldn't really fit the format).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Also - these guys are after a high flying high paying job at the end of the day - and the employer can make his selection any way he likes. Multiple high pressure interviews are a matter of course for most jobs of this type - I think my dear hubby had 7 interviews in total for his latest job - starting from the intial approach by the headhunter and finishing with the CEO.

I'm sure a lot of us have had multiple high pressure interviews but I've never had anyone be as rude as some of these muppets are.

An interview should be a cooperative process where employer finds out about employee and, to a certain extent, the reverse.

I wonder how many people would actually want to work for a company who employed people as abrasive as Sugar's cronies like to be.

I'm really hoping Margaret's performance doesn't cause me to re-evaluate my currently very high opinion of her.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    OP, I'm with you, it makes me squirm.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I agree, I don't really find the actual interviews that appealing. I find them has tough to watch as the candidates do going through them.

But what I do like is the interviewers reporting back their impressions of the candidates to Lord Sugar, and seeing how Lord Sugar reacts to it. Plus, it's interesting to see how much of his colleagues opinions he takes into account or if he stubbornly sticks to his own opinion on who is the best one for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    If u really dont like them you could try not watching the interviews but you know what, I bet all the people who are saying thats its too harsh all still like the others can't actully wait to watch them.

E.G. Stu Bags could just about to get whats coming to him...... how many people want to see him ripped into properly esp if its all been bull.

LS even ses some of this is done to stress it for the viewers, he knows that , we know that ,the people aplying know that (or maybe Like Jo they just dint do any reaserch or other apprentice show watching).

The simple fact is your watching a show,. yes one person might get 6 months of work from it and it meen all to them only about work (rather then some aplying for air time) but for everyone else watching the show its more fun!

Just like he states he does not give tasks as he does for the shows in reality, only they are based to bring out certain pressures/ challenges , and genrally with no sleep like the interviews.

If u want to watch normal interviews and see normal tasks withought harsh interviews Im sure theres a program out there but it will be dull.

If I find a programe like that Ill link to you but I bet youll be back here waiting for a new Bags to be grilled :)))
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Jepsonarge wrote: »
    If u really dont like them you could try not watching the interviews but you know what, I bet all the people who are saying thats its too harsh all still like the others can't actully wait to watch them.

Of course I'll watch it, I didn't watch the show right from the start to intentionally skip an episode. :rolleyes: I'll watch it because whether I like it or not, it's a crucial part of the show, and watching it doesn't mean I secretly approve of the way the interviews are carried out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    Of course I'll watch it, I didn't watch the show right from the start to intentionally skip an episode. :rolleyes: I'll watch it because whether I like it or not, it's a crucial part of the show, and watching it doesn't mean I secretly approve of the way the interviews are carried out.

Quite.

And, as someone said above, watching the interviewers giving their opinions to Sugar is interesting because it gives us some insight into their abilities.

And watching him ignore them is even funnier.

Of course, if he ignores Margaret: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I do enjoy watching them although I often think the interviewers are as bad as the candidates. They only look to pull them apart, which is fair enough, but a very one dimensional approach. Given that the candidates have spent the past however many weeks telling us what they can do it does make sense to have one episode that focuses squarely on what they can't do or what they have lied about.

To be honest I'm not looking forward to Stuart's interview- it's going to be brutal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silkstone wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not looking forward to Stuart's interview- it's going to be brutal.

Unless they get out the Kryptonite I'm pretty sure he's impervious. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    can't wait :)

I do not think in any shape or form I am business person but I love the show for watching peoples character when the person is really pushed.

esp Margret,. And yes I do also feel that feeling of this is way too harsh ! but....

Its only in those moments that really test you, one finds out who really is family, your friend, or in business a solid colleague who wont go behind your back, or shame the company. That's the one and only little gem life seems to have opened my eyes to.

Liz if she had won could have done great is it was selling/ presenting... but if when things go wrong her character crumbled would be very likely to do more damage in a few moments then all of the good work before. I know that bit is "picked on" with her reaction to loosing.... so not a very good example but still I think a learning curve for her.

It is the same if your hit by a bus and live, only your reel friends will truly be there for you,. Or partner in divorse using children as thier own tool to manipulate the situation... its only then one finds out just what sort of person they really are. Its very easy when things are breezy to hold integrity .

As far as interviews go ..... I do cringe but also you know that if they can't stand up to it , very little chance they will be able to cope with what LS has in mind.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it uncomfortable but incredibly enthralling
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually I don't, but I can't wait to see Stuart being ripped apart by them, I'm hoping it makes the past 10 weeks of having to watch him worth it.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have resovled to accept that this is just another entertainment show which must have triumphs, disappointments and riddicule. Interviews generally fall into that arena. If you interview too well you'll get called robotic etc..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    depends who it is:D - though yeah, I would like to see the bully boy interviewers told to button it or that they are out of line once in a while...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worpler wrote: »
    depends who it is:D - though yeah, I would like to see the bully boy interviewers told to button it or that they are out of line once in a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEBQbWVS8A

Enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »

Great link, thanks. :D
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just the interviews, either. Sugar is a nasty character as well and all his henchmen interviewers - I mean the three originals, not Margaret - are the most peculiarly repulsive set of people I have ever come across. It really isn't reflective of the real world and has nothing to do with how business is conducted despite its pretension to be a serious business programme.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my least favourite task, partly because it's so one-sided but also because the outcome doesn't really depend on what we've seen the candidates do, but on the opinions of the interviewers whom I never feel I know as well as I do Lord Sugar.
  • Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    I find the interviews the least palatable part of the entire procedure. The interviews bully people just because they know they can get away with it. To me they actually come across a lot worse than the candidates as their bullying is a lot worse than anything we see in the tasks.

If anyone carried on like this in r/l people would walk out of the interview and the interviewer could well get a punch in the face for good measure.

Of course, here, the candidates have already invested so much both in time and emotionally that this isn't an option.

Surely there must be others who don't find this sort of spectacle entertaining?

I find the interviews my favourite part of the show :p all the contestants are egotistical to some extent, they should be able to contend with any questions or probing that is thrown at them :p a true honest, articulate candidate should have nothing to fear :) Having said that I have never any respect for AS after he employed that contestant that lied on his CV :p
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    It's only an intensive grilling. It's not like they're having their fingernails pulled out, or being prodded with hot pokers. If you are so criminally stupid as to make wildly exaggerated claims on a CV that you know is going to be picked apart and broadcast to the nation, then a bit of public humiliation is in order. I thoroughly enjoy the interview stage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by silkstone View Post

That's exactly why I'm looking forward it. :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch The Apprenctice to see who is the best businessman/woman but to see a bunch of arrogant so and sos make complete and utter fools of themselves and to my mind the interviews are an integral part of that