Soap characters accents

Comments

• cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Terry Woods from Emmerdale has a very strong Scottish accent in real life:)
  • BasilbirdBasilbird Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    wavlovr wrote: »
    Lastly...why aren`t there any Welsh characters in soaps? Being Welsh myself, I`m disappointed about the lack of Welsh characters in soaps.

Yeah there haven't been many.

Richard Davies was shop keeper Idris Hopkins on Corrie in the mid-1970s though I will alwyas think of him as one of Basil Fawlty's guests in "The Kipper and the Corpse"

And the very lovely Richard Elis was Huw (the builder, I think) in EE in the late 1990's. In real life he's married to Pobol's dasterdly Yvonne (Tonya Smith). Well.. I think she's pretty dasterdly!

I can't think of any others at the moment, Certainly not on Corrie - the *other* soap I regularly watch! (yr sebon arall i wylio!)
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis was Welsh, wasn't he? The fella who lived with Eileen for a while, when she first came into the show, and then left her for Janice only to be killed in a car accident a few weeks later.

On the subject of accents, Peter Barlow lived in Scotland for most of his childhood, yet managed not to pick up a Scottish accent. And young Simon lived in Australia for the first 5 years of his life without picking up an Aussie accent!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same accent as Fiz from Corrie.

I hate Fiz's accent and mine :D
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmi in Doctors is Welsh - and he's been in the show for over six years.
    I`ve only been watching Doctors for about 6 months or so, and I had no idea Jimmi was Welsh. Is the actor Welsh too?
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basilbird wrote: »
    Yeah there haven't been many.

Richard Davies was shop keeper Idris Hopkins on Corrie in the mid-1970s though I will alwyas think of him as one of Basil Fawlty's guests in "The Kipper and the Corpse"

And the very lovely Richard Elis was Huw (the builder, I think) in EE in the late 1990's. In real life he's married to Pobol's dasterdly Yvonne (Tonya Smith). Well.. I think she's pretty dasterdly!

I can't think of any others at the moment, Certainly not on Corrie - the *other* soap I regularly watch! (yr sebon arall i wylio!)
    Yvonne is one of my fave characters in Pobol Y Cwm.
    Did she play Myffanwy in Little Britain too?
  • avanneavanne Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    ads84 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: YES there bloody well is!!!
    In fact, even though the rest of the country won't notice, there are differences between accents in Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton and Preston - all towns that are separated by a 20 mile stretch of motorway.
    To go as far as Yorkshireland...well, they talk completely different there ;)

The one that makes me laugh is Curly Simon! He's supposed to have spent his early childhood in Austrailia - but couldn't be more East Lancs! It is really marked on certain words. I'd love to pinpoint it. My other half is from Preston and Curly Simon sounds just like the old blokes we hear at Deepdale talking about the days of Tom Finney!
  • ShamelessnessShamelessness Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she play Myffanwy in Little Britain too?

Ruth Jones (Gavin & Stacey's Nessa) played Myffanwy in Little Britain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also what is Vanessa off Eastenders accent? It sounds a bit brummie?
  • ShamelessnessShamelessness Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Also what is Vanessa off Eastenders accent? It sounds a bit brummie?

Zöe Lucker is from Huddersfield in West Yorkshire.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeg wrote: »
    Dennis was Welsh, wasn't he? The fella who lived with Eileen for a while, when she first came into the show, and then left her for Janice only to be killed in a car accident a few weeks later.

On the subject of accents, Peter Barlow lived in Scotland for most of his childhood, yet managed not to pick up a Scottish accent. And young Simon lived in Australia for the first 5 years of his life without picking up an Aussie accent!

As mentioned by Victoria Wood during her portrayal of Ena Sharples in a 'As Seen On TV' sketch.
  • lmcd08lmcd08 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like val and amy's accents in emmerdale and have no problem understanding them since there roughly from the same place as me :) also like a good scouse accent now and again with the likes of sinead in hollyoaks
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Emmerdale introduced the 'Soapstars' family about 10 years ago - each member of that family had a different accent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mich92 wrote: »
    I have the same accent as Fiz from Corrie.

I hate Fiz's accent and mine :D

What is Fiz's? Manchester ish?
    Indeg wrote: »

Ayye Dennis was, he's in Casualty now with the same accent.
    Chris Gascoyne has said before he has a really mixed accent so that's maybe why.
    Totally agree on Simon :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Sophie Webster in Corrie, but I have a job understanding what she says in some scenes.

I could never understand why Dianes sister Val in Emmerdale has a Geordie accent, and Dianes accent is Liverpudlean. As lovely as Vals accent is, I sometimes find it difficult to understand sometimes. Ditto with Amy.

Darrens accent in EastEnders is ocassionally garbled and I do get the gist in most of what he says.

What character accents do you have trouble understanding?

Lastly...why aren`t there any Welsh characters in soaps? Being Welsh myself, I`m disappointed about the lack of Welsh characters in soaps.

I'm Irish and I have no trouble understanding these characters :eek:
    The only one I have trouble understanding sometimes is Brendan out of Hollyoaks, and he's actually Irish :o It's just cause he talks so low....

And as for Welsh, Hollyoaks had Elliot, a token Welsh character, for three years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed watching EE when Jane said she couldn't do any accents, cause actually her actress is able to do lots of different accents from what I heard!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Who is Freddie Jones?
    Sandy , google his real name and be surprised at what he has been in , he was always a bady , after he had a heart attack he said he would never play a bady again
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one actor in particular , its the various Mockny Cockny accents in EE that confuses me :eek:
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,287
    Forum Member
    Im scottish from glasgpw and never have a problem understanding anyones accents, probably because the glasgow accent is probably the worst english accent and i understand that fine so the rest are easy.

The worst accent I seen in a soap is by far Roisin from River City, Aberdeen accent, still understand it but no english or amaerican or australian person would as theres that many words that arent acutally words.

This is her talking, cant find any video of her in river city http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0isMWmwfO34
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheryl and Brendan Brady in HO is funny- he's got a distinctive Dublin accent and she's got northern irish one but they are apparently only half siblings so that probably explains it

incidentally what accent does Warren have? he pronounces mandy like mandeh so I assumed it was mancunian but don't quite know ?
  • malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janine in EE is Welsh and many years ago there was another welsh actor in Corrie called Brian Hibbard. Can't remember the character's name but he used to go out with Deirdre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You find that people from Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Bolton etc pronounce Claire as "Cluur " .....I live in a town 4 miles down the road from Oldham and people born and raised there say Claire and not Cluur...weird eh how accents can vary from one town to the next!

I pronounce it Cluur as well and i'm from halfway between Blackburn and Preston:)
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I laughed watching EE when Jane said she couldn't do any accents, cause actually her actress is able to do lots of different accents from what I heard!

would u believe the actress who plays Jane is scottish? her london accent is brill
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pronounce it Cluur as well and i'm from halfway between Blackburn and Preston:)

Samlesbury? There's posh!
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    avanne wrote: »
    The one that makes me laugh is Curly Simon! He's supposed to have spent his early childhood in Austrailia - but couldn't be more East Lancs! It is really marked on certain words. I'd love to pinpoint it. My other half is from Preston and Curly Simon sounds just like the old blokes we hear at Deepdale talking about the days of Tom Finney!
    He's from Blackburn.
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Samlesbury? There's posh!
    Hmmm...could easily be Bamber Bridge. Not so posh :D:o