Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being allowed to sit up on school nights to watch Prisoner Cell Block H when it was on ITV back in the early 1990s. I was immediately hooked and never missed an episode.

I was supposed to be going on holiday to London back in January but it was cancelled due to the poor weather and heavy snow at the time so in a complete moment of madness I bought the entire 17 volume DVD set online with my refunded money. With nearly 700 episodes at 45 minutes each it's gonna take me a few years to get through them all.

The local news somehow got hold of the story from someone and were keen to interview me. Must have been a quiet day in the newsroom. :D

Apparently it then sparked a "Prisoner Cell Block H" frenzy in Scotland as loads of fans who weren't aware the complete series was available on DVD started phoning and emailing in the station to ask for more details on where they could purchase it.

Amazon must owe me a few quid in commission fees. ;)

That's a good story. So you were on Scottish news talking about being a fan of Prisoner? :D Which station was it?
  • PotsdamerplatzPotsdamerplatz Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    That's a good story. So you were on Scottish news talking about being a fan of Prisoner? :D Which station was it?

It was a radio interview on STV regional news (Glasgow & West)

Our local news finishes with a small but bizarre/interesting story to wind things up and that just happened to be my 2 minutes of fame.

It wasn't so much talking about being a fan of Prisoner as being loony enough to purchase all the box sets on a whim because of a cancelled holiday.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a radio interview on STV regional news (Glasgow & West)

Our local news finishes with a small but bizarre/interesting story to wind things up and that just happened to be my 2 minutes of fame.

It wasn't so much talking about being a fan of Prisoner as being loony enough to purchase all the box sets on a whim because of a cancelled holiday.

Nothing loony about buying all the boxsets :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-watching the Angel Adams episodes, she was a great character and like Bev Baker before her she came and went too quick, although we did get to see more of her than the Beast. Megs acting in the last few episodes has been appalling, really like Ray Proctor though. And Tammy had a great bum.

I'm also surprised that I can watch Phil Cleary this time around without screaming at the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-watching the Angel Adams episodes, she was a great character and like Bev Baker before her she came and went too quick, although we did get to see more of her than the Beast. Megs acting in the last few episodes has been appalling, really like Ray Proctor though. And Tammy had a great bum.

I'm also surprised that I can watch Phil Cleary this time around without screaming at the screen.

And Frances Harvey was a great heavy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen Prisoner Cell Block H but heard Wentworth is coming to Channel 5 so may watch it on Youtube.
    I remember watching an advert of it of a woman in a bath washing her legs
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I've been catching up with the Kay White story and the work release programme.
    She eventually ended up at Wentworth.

Prisoner was unique in the way that many actors where used many times for many roles throughout the series. That added to the entertainment value. It was fun recalling what part you'd seen them play before in it!

It is such a great drama with a great following.

I can never forget the haberdashery seige. Who could? Loved the way Meg got involved and was seen on the TV by all back at Wentworth.
    I felt sorry for Margo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ali_CW wrote: »
    I can never forget the haberdashery seige.

Yeah,its hard to forget how terrible it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen Prisoner Cell Block H but heard Wentworth is coming to Channel 5 so may watch it on Youtube.
    I remember watching an advert of it of a woman in a bath washing her legs

A woman in a bath washing her legs?
    That doesn't sound like Prisoner tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman in a bath washing her legs?
    That doesn't sound like Prisoner tbh.

Yeah,i'm a bit :confused: by that one too.

I remember seeing an advert of a dirty old man sitting in the bath eating pickled onions...it wasn't Prisoner:D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Prisoner was unique in the way that many actors where used many times for many roles throughout the series. That added to the entertainment value. It was fun recalling what part you'd seen them play before in it!

I can never forget the haberdashery seige. Who could? Loved the way Meg got involved and was seen on the TV by all back at Wentworth.
    I felt sorry for Margo.

I really felt for Margo, when she was released we saw a side to her not seen before, a sweet, kind, loving side. She was always a heavy, but not as tough as she became when she ended back up in Wentworth. She didn't care about anything after that, and grew into the nasty Margo that we know now, and eventually shipped off to Blackmoor. A sad end for a character for who life could have been so different.
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Chrissielatham
    I really felt for Margo, when she was released we saw a side to her not seen before, a sweet, kind, loving side. She was always a heavy, but not as tough as she became when she ended back up in Wentworth. She didn't care about anything after that, and grew into the nasty Margo that we know now, and eventually shipped off to Blackmoor. A sad end for a character for who life could have been so different.

Margo did have that gentle side. You so much wanted it to work out for her.
    Other characters like Lou Kelly and Reb Keane had a gentle side to them and just when you thought they would give that bit more, they never did.

I remember a scene in the cell with Lou and the nun ( can't remember her name )
    Lou opened up that bit more to her, it was that other side of Lou we never really saw and wanted to see, it stopped short when Myra entered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Chrissielatham

Margo did have that gentle side. You so much wanted it to work out for her.
    Other characters like Lou Kelly and Reb Keane had a gentle side to them and just when you thought they would give that bit more, they never did.

I remember a scene in the cell with Lou and the nun ( can't remember her name )
    Lou opened up that bit more to her, it was that other side of Lou we never really saw and wanted to see, it stopped short when Myra entered.

Oh yes Sister Anita Selby. Yes I agree totally
    Forum Member
    Yes, It was sister Anita Selby. Thank you.

I remember when Joan the freak Ferguson would have those very important talks with her friend was it Cynthia on the phone?
    She lived in Brisbane?

I am certain we never seen Cynthia. She spoke with great authority.

Trying to remember withing searching online!

It would be good if there was Prisoner online quiz to do just for fun at one's own leisure. Surprising what could be remembered!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember when Joan the freak Ferguson would have those very important talks with her friend was it Cynthia on the phone?
    She lived in Brisbane?

It would be good if there was Prisoner online quiz to do just for fun at one's own leisure. Surprising what could be remembered!

We never saw Cynthia Leach's face - just her from behind as she picked up a phone and spoke. She was 'played' by the lady who played Lyn Warner's mum in the early days of the show!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She lived in Brisbane?

Cynthia Leech was terrifying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awwwwwwwwwww this thread seems to have died and i was so hoping we could hit 2000 posts before that happened, we are so near that target too! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    awwwwwwwwwww this thread seems to have died and i was so hoping we could hit 2000 posts before that happened, we are so near that target too! :D

It's been resurrected, I've been some odd episodes because I've two days off. Rewatching The Freaks first appearance and episodes500-503.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Greenway still one of my favourite of the minor prisoners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently taking a break from Prisoner.

I've seen all the episodes far too much.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt sorry for Margo.

Loved those epsiodes, Margos bloke Bazza played a few roles in Prisoner, remember him playing that copper Harley, and that maintenance man, who had it off with that Librarian woman with the split personality that Meg knew :D

Speaking of the haberdashery, it reminded me of a video i watched today that had it on, Prisoner Locations, Then and Now. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPrpy3dizbY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently taking a break from Prisoner.

I've seen all the episodes far too much.

Same here tbh. Last time i was trying to watch it i had to stop, just couldn't enjoy it at all.

We can still have a chat bout it though:D
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942145_363201513780574_496134596_n.jpg

So it looks like they have turned to the past in an attempt to reach out to old fans. Bit shameful really - the new series should stand on its own merits and not have to rely on the popular original to get it off the ground.

It also appears that two former actors who appeared in PCBH have appeared in the first series of Wentworth - Anne Charleston and Gloria Ajenstat who played minor character Tammy Fisher between 1981 and 1985.

The producers of Wentworth are obviously avoiding casting anyone who had a strong association with the original series, why is that? Are they worried that doing so would upstage the re-imagined characters?

Note: Patsy King looks fantastic for 82 years old!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942145_363201513780574_496134596_n.jpg

So it looks like they have turned to the past in an attempt to reach out to old fans. Bit shameful really - the new series should stand on its own merits and not have to rely on the popular original to get it off the ground.

It also appears that two former actors who appeared in PCBH have appeared in the first series of Wentworth - Anne Charleston and Gloria Ajenstat who played minor character Tammy Fisher between 1981 and 1985.

The producers of Wentworth are obviously avoiding casting anyone who had a strong association with the original series, why is that? Are they worried that doing so would upstage the re-imagined characters?

Note: Patsy King looks fantastic for 82 years old!

Is Gloria Ajenstat in it, I might have to start watching Wentworth then.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Gloria Ajenstat in it, I might have to start watching Wentworth then.

Only one episode as a guest character.