Citalopram , anyone here find it helped with depression

benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I. Have recently been prescribed Citalopram and I would be interested to hear from others how effective it was for depression .
I did see a thread about the side effects. But not how successful it was.

Comments

• clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Hey OP

I was on it for a few years, there are quite a few horror stories about side effects out there but I didn't suffer anything that wasn't perfectly manageable.

The only difficult part was at the very start when the dosage was adjusted until the right level was found, took a few weeks (alternating between tiredness and then sleeplessness) but after that it was plain sailing.

I was on it for 4 years when I started to reduce my dose, it took about 18 months of gradually reducing it until I came off them completely.

Been off them ever since.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about mental health drugs is their efficacy and side effects are highly individual. No matter what people say on this thread, your experience will probably be completely different.

I take it for anxiety and it has been an absolute godsend. I am a normal functioning human being now who only gets worried about rational, serious things instead of staying awake at night worrying that I MIGHT have forgotten to take a library book back, or carrying around a constant feeling of dread for absolutely no reason.

My side effect is a severe lowering of libido but damn, it's worth it.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Hey OP

I was on it for a few years, there are quite a few horror stories about side effects out there but I didn't suffer anything that wasn't perfectly manageable.

The only difficult part was at the very start when the dosage was adjusted until the right level was found, took a few weeks (alternating between tiredness and then sleeplessness) but after that it was plain sailing.

I was on it for 4 years when I started to reduce my dose, it took about 18 months of gradually reducing it until I came off them completely.

Thanks. I've fought going to the doctor for years thinking I just needed to pick myself up and get on with it.
    That the problems were of my own making , self medicating with wine etc.
    but quite rock bottom at the moment. Very worried that this pill will increase suicidal thoughts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Hey OP

The thing about mental health drugs is their efficacy and side effects are highly individual. No matter what people say on this thread, your experience will probably be completely different.

I take it for anxiety and it has been an absolute godsend. I am a normal functioning human being now who only gets worried about rational, serious things instead of staying awake at night worrying that I MIGHT have forgotten to take a library book back, or carrying around a constant feeling of dread for absolutely no reason.

My side effect is a severe lowering of libido but damn, it's worth it.

Thanks, not good at multiple quotes.

Oh, it appears I am :D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Thanks. I've fought going to the doctor for years thinking I just needed to pick myself up and get on with it.
    That the problems were of my own making , self medicating with wine etc.
    but quite rock bottom at the moment. Very worried that this pill will increase suicidal thoughts.

Mosts SSRIs have to be monitored in the early days of prescription in people that had or have suicidal thoughts and GPs should do a review very quickly say about week or 2 weeks but mine has never bothered, but then I suppose I havent had those particular symptoms of depression.

Do you live with someone who can know this?

I take citalopram for depression and anxiety, it took a very long time before I stopped feeling a bit manic and now I do feel quite drowsy a lot of the time but I also need to help that by staying off the carbs which I think in me, make me groggy and sleepy.

The best AD was seroxat for me, but I cant ever go on it again due to the problems in getting off it, so for me this is the next best thing. It might be worth seeing how you get on and if no good or too many side effects then there is sertraline and escitalopram which are similar (as they all are really)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Mosts SSRIs have to be monitored in the early days of prescription in people that had or have suicidal thoughts and GPs should do a review very quickly say about week or 2 weeks but mine has never bothered, but then I suppose I havent had those particular symptoms of depression.

Do you live with someone who can know this?

I take citalopram for depression and anxiety, it took a very long time before I stopped feeling a bit manic and now I do feel quite drowsy a lot of the time but I also need to help that by staying off the carbs which I think in me, make me groggy and sleepy.

The best AD was seroxat for me, but I cant ever go on it again due to the problems in getting off it, so for me this is the next best thing. It might be worth seeing how you get on and if no good or too many side effects then there is sertraline and escitalopram which are similar (as they all are really)

No I live alone now, bust up with utterly shit partner is a big factor in my depression. Been feeling suicidal and explained that to doctor so it seems weird that she prescribes a drug that increases negative thoughts.

She wants to see me within 2 weeks and I can phone out of hours if I'm struggling.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I. Have recently been prescribed Citalopram and I would be interested to hear from others how effective it was for depression .
    I did see a thread about the side effects. But not how successful it was.

Anti-antidepressants affect people differently. Sometime's it down to trying different ones until you find the right one that works. I am sure your GP would have explained that.
    It you feel it's not working then go straight back to your GP, or if things get worse get immediate professional help.
    There is hope for you and your will feel better in time. In the meantime keep seeing your GP regularly. There are lot's of charity's out there if you need counselling, or someone to talk to get yourself through this period.
    I wish you all the very best in your recovery. You have taken the right step by seeking medical advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    Anti-antidepressants affect people differently. Sometime's it down to trying different ones until you find the right one that works. I am sure your GP would have explained that.
    It you feel it's not working then go straight back to your GP, or if things get worse get immediate professional help.
    There is hope for you and your will feel better in time. In the meantime keep seeing your GP regularly. There are lot's of charity's out there if you need counselling, or someone to talk to get yourself through this period.
    I wish you all the very best in your recovery. You have taken the right step by seeking medical advice.

Thanks. Feeling very teary . And uptight and stressed . And a failure .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I live alone now, bust up with utterly shit partner is a big factor in my depression. Been feeling suicidal and explained that to doctor so it seems weird that she prescribes a drug that increases negative thoughts.

She wants to see me within 2 weeks and I can phone out of hours if I'm struggling.

All anti depressants have that risk to them, it comes from giving people a little more motivation generally but not being able to treat the actual depression in the first few weeks so the theory is that in some people who have had suicidal thoughts but not the motivation to carry them out, they may get some initial motivation in the first few weeks of taking the tablets but still have the suicidal thoughts and may get the energy to carry them out.

The risk decreases after the first few weeks as they take about 4 weeks or so to kick in for the depression. You should be on a lower dose initially and then go up after the 2 weeks to the next dose up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All anti depressants have that risk to them, it comes from giving people a little more motivation generally but not being able to treat the actual depression in the first few weeks so the theory is that in some people who have had suicidal thoughts but not the motivation to carry them out, they may get some initial motivation in the first few weeks of taking the tablets but still have the suicidal thoughts and may get the energy to carry them out.

The risk decreases after the first few weeks as they take about 4 weeks or so to kick in for the depression. You should be on a lower dose initially and then go up after the 2 weeks to the next dose up.

It's 20mg. Not sure if that's high or low.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on 20mg daily, I think it's the standard starting dose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Feeling very teary . And uptight and stressed . And a failure .

I can feel your pain my friend. I have been there plus some. All the colour went our of life for me. I thought it was going to be like that forever, but it passed with help. I hope that give's you some hope.
    You will get through it, that is for sure. Please just stay away from drink and pick up the phone to one of the organisations I provided in the link above. The Samaritans have walk-in centres. Do not underestimate how helpful it is to just talk to someone and spill it all out. Take it a day at a time. Look at it as a period that will make eventually make you a stronger person..
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

20 is the norm. You can go up to 40 IIRC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a treatment dose but the lowest level, they should normally put you on 10mg for the first couple of weeks then up it to 20. Im on 20 now. See how you get on and just sleep if you need to sleep and cry if you need to cry, you will soon feel better and then you're more able to determine what else you might need to try or do to support yourself.

Obviously the wine isnt going to help, personally I just cannot drink at all on ADs as it gives me a headache.

Also, I eat like a gannet when Im on ADs and have unfortunately put on lots of weight that I carefully lost. Not happy about that and I constantly crave things that I shouldnt be eating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    I can feel your pain my friend. I have been there plus some. All the colour went our of life for me. I thought it was going to be like that forever, but it passed with help. I hope that give's you some hope.
    You will get through it, that is for sure. Please just stay away from drink and pick up the phone to one of the organisations I provided in the link above. The Samaritans have walk-in centres. Do not underestimate how helpful it is to just talk to someone and spill it all out. Take it a day at a time. Look at it as a period that will make eventually make you a stronger person..

Thanks, the Samaritans have been a life saver tho I should have sought help way earlier.
    I've bottled it up for years thinking I could cope when clearly I wasn't coping at at all. Thanks .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a treatment dose but the lowest level, they should normally put you on 10mg for the first couple of weeks then up it to 20. Im on 20 now. See how you get on and just sleep if you need to sleep and cry if you need to cry, you will soon feel better and then you're more able to determine what else you might need to try or do to support yourself.

Obviously the wine isnt going to help, personally I just cannot drink at all on ADs as it gives me a headache.

Also, I eat like a gannet when Im on ADs and have unfortunately put on lots of weight that I carefully lost. Not happy about that and I constantly crave things that I shouldnt be eating.

Not eating and. Self medicating has spiralled recently. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, the Samaritans have been a life saver tho I should have sought help way earlier.
    I've bottled it up for years thinking I could cope when clearly I wasn't coping at at all. Thanks .

They are mate. They were a god send for me. You can tell them stuff that you would not tell others and without judgement. Get your GP to refer to to a professional to talk to. They can get you seen really quickly, and then you have someone to see every week who is expert in dealing with this period. It will give you something to look forward to.
    I felt absolutely detached from the normal world - it was very scary indeed. The best thing was when I gradually felt it lifting...very gradually - sometimes it was just 20 mins in a day that I would feel me again - this grew daily....Get a plan together. You are taking the right steps. Remember that they are baby steps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not eating and. Self medicating has spiralled recently. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

You will soon get your appetite back dont worry, but make sure you put in lots of nutritious food rather than just stodge or snacks as if you havent been eating but been drinking your physical needs havent been met which will impact on how you feel too.

Im sure you know all this but when you're not feeling your best its nice to have the reminders!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will soon get your appetite back dont worry, but make sure you put in lots of nutritious food rather than just stodge or snacks as if you havent been eating but been drinking your physical needs havent been met which will impact on how you feel too.

Im sure you know all this but when you're not feeling your best its nice to have the reminders!

I just cannot be bothered TBH. But I know your right .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember the not eating part of it. Everyone said I looked really well because I lost weight - oh, the irony! I would cry at everything - it was so weird to cry so much. I am a burly bloke who never every cried, but turned into a crying wreak!....
    Please please don't self medicate. Seek professional help and clean living will help.
    You WILL get through it. And the person you will be after will be so much better, believe me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you wont at the moment, but in time you will do and then you do all your good fats and lean proteins, fruit and veg stuff and see it like medication for yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a really good sign, trust me! Baby steps mate. I am well and I can't be bothered to eat the right foods at the best of times - that is normal.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter has a brain tumour in for surgery in May hopefully and my wife has gone on Citalopram as once she woke up she couldn't get back to sleep been a great help. It takes some getting off though have to gently reduce the dose don't try and go cold turkey. Good luck
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on them for a few years.

I had insomnia so bad I went days without sleep. No matter what I did I couldn't get to sleep. Even when I was absolutely exhausted. When I did finally sleep it was fitful and I'd wake up feeling worse than I did before I slept.

I had a constant migraine too.

Changed to a different antidepressant and the headaches stopped almost immediately as did the chronic insomnia.