How do you cope with losing YOUR Doctor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
I've been a Doctor Who fan since the early 90's but have never experienced losing a current Doctor that I've become attached to. I am dreading what is about to happen in The Time of the Doctor, it's more upsetting than hearing a distant relative has died. :cry:

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rough dude. Every Doctor since the show began I have thought of as my Doctor in different ways. I really don't know how ill cope with losing Matt though lol :):'(
  • Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I'll curl up into a ball and cry like a little girl
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Was never the same for me after Tom left, he'd been the only Doctor I'd ever known (I was 9 when he went).
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't 'have' a Doctor (I'm declining to make an MD joke). I do enjoy watching Doctor Who from all of its eras. Here's my cunning strategy: I rewatch a given episode on such occasion as I feel like watching said given episode. Other than that, I watch new episodes, and enjoy them on a varying scale that correlates with their level of quality. Precisely none of my time is spent wishing that an actor had not chosen to end his period of working on a television show.
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like jrmswfc above, I felt the programme lost a lot when Tom left. He's the only Doctor I would ever really call my Doctor since I was probably about the right age (10) for him to have embedded himself in my psyche by the time he left. Was not happy when that kid out of All Creatures Great and Small got his job.

And while Peter did grow on me, I've never really had a my Doctor since then, nor have I really warmed to a Doctor either. I've liked most of them, but none have ever given me that 'wow' again. Shame really, but we humans are fickle things as The Doctor would know all too well.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As regards Matt (certainly my Doctor of C21 Who) I watched 'The Eleventh Hour' again yesterday, and then 'The Day of the Doctor' on i-player; am now girding my loins (oo-err, etc) to see his swansong and will just go with the emotion of it all.

It's sad, but exciting. My first regeneration as a fan was Peter into Colin...very intense stuff, but once the new face appears it's pretty thrilling.

And those little silver discs are there 'forever'...I'm just grateful they cast the brilliant lad!

I can call him a lad...he's much younger than me! :blush::)
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never did take to the toothy bescarfed one after my favourite Doctor went. But worse things happen at sea... just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing... and "Always look on the bright side of regeneration..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I think the only way I'll cope is to not watch the episode and live in denial...
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Losing a favourite companion can be tougher.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel a bit sad when ever a Doctor regenerate, but even more so this time.

I loved Matt Smiths Doctor, the quirkiness, humour, emotions, speeches and just the look. Looking forward to today's Doctor Who but a bit sad at the same time.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to the next Doctor and get on with things.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I cope??? I look forward to the next Doctor and get on with my life like everyone else. :)

I'd probably be more upset if The Doctor was real but sadly he's not.
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I focus my energy onto the excitement of a new Doctor rather than focus on losing an old Doctor, I'm only ever "sad" in the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been a Doctor Who fan since the early 90's but have never experienced losing a current Doctor that I've become attached to. I am dreading what is about to happen in The Time of the Doctor, it's more upsetting than hearing a distant relative has died. :cry:

Easy. Its just a actor changing the role.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After surviving Peter to Colin, I can survive anything.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Peter Davison left, I was six and heartbroken. I persevered through the Colin and Sylvester years, the stories weren't as good, but I put it down to me not accepting them as Peter's replacements. However, upon seeing stories featuring the first four Doctors, I realised it was purely the quality of 6's and 7's stories that were jarring me. Peter shall always be my favourite though. :)
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you get to see this character for 3 years of yours and his life. You feel you know him, a friend. someone you always look forward to seeing.then suddenly he's gone. replaced with someone else.

I'm normally sad for about 5 minutes and when it sinks in that the show must go on i'm fine.
  • missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cried when david left. I like matts doctor may cry again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i tend to dislike every other doctor and loved the ones in between. so i'll love one, he'll go - the next chap will never live up to his standards, then he goes - which is a relief so the next one cant be as bad as him & so i love him...but like star trek films...every other one is great...
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well they seem to like bringing old doctors and assistants back now so matt smith and billie piper will probably pop up next year some time.

I still miss Tom.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've always let them go...eventually! MY Doctor was Patrick Troughton.....I hated Jon Pertwee - for a few minutes of his debut story - then I thought, "He ain't so bad!". It carried on like that until NOW! Ooops - it's 7.28pm - must dash off! Something to watch ;-)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us spent so very long waiting for paul to come back. When he went it was a happy occasion....
  • hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    My Doctor was Sylvester, so I never got a real sense of loss or of closure (I was too young to realise what had happened when it was cancelled). I think finding something good in the next Doctor is the best way forward.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have never understood the concept of "your" or "my" Doctor. I suppose if I did have a "my" Doctor, then it would have been the first one as I have been watching Dr Who for all those years. However, no, there is no "my" Doctor for me. The Doctor regenerates and is portrayed by different actors, for me, and next is the 13th!:)
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are David Tennant fangirls then you whinge and moan at every Matt Smith episode regardless of the episode quality.;-)

Peter Davison was mine and it was difficult as Colin Baker's Doctor was so different in character than Peter's. But adjusting to a new Doctor is part of being a Doctor Who fan.