Job Seekers Allowance application

chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
Forum Member
I applied for JSA 2 days ago (1st time in my life) so I am an amateur..waiting to get phonecall for appt to see them

Couple of questions:

How soon is the appt likely to be?

How quickly does JSA start payments?

thank you in advance

Comments

• wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually appointment in a week or so .....

But all the hassle entailed in JSA, etc, it's less time consuming just to find a job ....
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    you will get an appointment pretty quickly but first payments usually take a few weeks.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    thankyou..in which case i will probably have found a job...just needed some income whilst looking for one..

thanks again
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't apply online did you?

I made my claim via the online process and they never received it. Twice.

Personally, either way, I'd phone them tomorrow to be sure it's going through.
    Forum Member
    You didn't apply online did you?

I made my claim via the online process and they never received it. Twice.

Personally, either way, I'd phone them tomorrow to be sure it's going through.

yes..i did it online...it does say the local center would ring in 2 days to make an appt, but havent heard anything yet..so i will ring tomorrow.....thank you :)
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based on my experience, they will deny all knowledge of your claim, which means your claim will start x number of days later than you are expecting, and therefore your money too. Be prepared to appeal the decision in writing. I had to do that, successfully, and they then back dated my claim.

Bearing in mind this was in May 2010, I'm surprised (actually I'm not!) that they've not fixed this problem yet.

Good luck.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made my application online on Monday, got the interview tomorrow morning.

I'm only eligible for Contributions based though, as I've had the audacity to work! No freebies for me!
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I applied on 21st July, contacted them on the Monday (25th), had my interview on the Wednesday (27th) My first sign on day was the Friday (29th) but I couldn't do this because I was away on a volunteering trip. I signed the appropriate form which excused me.

In theory my payment should have been made on on 3rd, but 'my payment hasn't been processed yet, which takes up to two weeks.' I'm hoping it'll be today or Monday it comes through. Thankfully I've got a job and am awaiting my start date, so I shouldn't need to sign on again...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll get an appointment fairly quickly but probably won't get any money for a few weeks. If it's anything like mine you'll find yourself having to tell them every fortnight when you go to sign on that you haven't had any money yet for the last two weeks, and they'll go 'Well, that's odd...' and call the centre in Hull, who need various additional details confirming every time :confused::rolleyes: Bonus points if you get an advisor who can only type with his index fingers :p
    Forum Member
    You'll get an appointment fairly quickly but probably won't get any money for a few weeks. If it's anything like mine you'll find yourself having to tell them every fortnight when you go to sign on that you haven't had any money yet for the last two weeks, and they'll go 'Well, that's odd...' and call the centre in Hull, who need various additional details confirming every time :confused::rolleyes: Bonus points if you get an advisor who can only type with his index fingers :p

thank you for your replies. :)
    I had my first 'visit' on Friday just to confirm details..but after applying 2 weeks ago & them having all my details on the PC I still may need to wait up to 12 days to get any money...good job i'm not on the breadline isnt it?
    Got to sign on again on the 24th (by which time i should have had my first payment, but given the above reply. i'm not holding my breath) Then I have to have a 40 minute 'interview' with an advisor to make sure I am doing the right things to get a job...mmmmm...we'll see. As a professional woman with a portfolio & comprehensive CV i am hoping not to have to claim for any longer than a few weeks.
    The advisor I saw on Friday appeared amazed that i had bought my portfolio & CV with me! AND yes she was a trainee with a supervisor looking over her shoulder..