Norwich! What's it Like?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    sparks in the park or the showground... yearly firework dilemma ! :(

We did Sparks in the Park. Excellent display for the kids, but MY GOD! The Big Bang! I had no idea there were so many people in Norfolk, let alone Norwich :eek:
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jessca wrote: »
    IMO NR2 & NR4 are the nicest areas, but I'd say there are no really *bad* areas (although I wouldn't move to Larkman, Heartsease, or Mile Cross!).

I grew up on the Heartsease! :p I turned out OK though. :D Lived there for 26 years until I moved out. but bought a flat there 9 months later and lived there, which I sold a few months ago and I'm glad to be out of the area.

Golden Triangle NR2 & NR4 are very nice areas. Rent seems OK but expensive to buy in the area. The other thing that puts me off is the lack of off road parking on the streets of terraced houses.

I live in NR1 not too far away from the football ground, Riverside & the train station, which is ideal if you have no kids. Bit of pain driving to/from home when there is a home match on but new permit parking is likely to be introduced on my estate of flats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    We've heard good things about the Golden Triangle - but have seen a fantastic place in Old Catton - so off for a 2nd viewing soon!

Really enjoyed our night out in the city - The Library restaurant was awesome and we had a great time at Bedfords and the Crypt. Everyone was really friendly, so we know we'll be really happy as soon as we get up there!

Sean
  • MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've heard good things about the Golden Triangle - but have seen a fantastic place in Old Catton - so off for a 2nd viewing soon!

Really enjoyed our night out in the city - The Library restaurant was awesome and we had a great time at Bedfords and the Crypt. Everyone was really friendly, so we know we'll be really happy as soon as we get up there!

Sean

Old Catton is nice :)

Glad all went well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister, Brother in Law & neice live in Old Catton, they really like living there. :) Reasonable value for money in both rental terms and house price terms. It is high up on my list of areas to move to (I want off road parking with my next home :) ).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Ipswich is better.
    You were saying...? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    You were saying...? :D

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the pedestrianisation of the city centre. Although it gives traders access to Dixons I'm not sure how the mothers with young bairns cope.

Straight from the mouth of Alan Partridge:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh Norwich one of my favorite places, AND they beat Ipswich today too:D
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To resurect this thread!!! Anyone live on queens hill?!
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nobody with any sense or taste no. :P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Nobody with any sense or taste no. :P

Looks like you get a lot more for your money than some other areas!
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    Looks like you get a lot more for your money than some other areas!

If it's a cold and icy winter it plays havoc with access and egress.
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    hoofy wrote: »
    Ahhh Norwich one of my favorite places, AND they beat Ipswich today too:D

4 years on and where's Norwich now....?

COYB :D
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm on The Hampdens. Ex Husband lives on Queens Hill.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tavia wrote: »
    Hi all,

I may be relocating to Norwich sometime within the next year due to work (I currently live in rural Oxfordshire) and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like as a place to live?

I've had a look at rents, etc (much better than where I am now where £800 pm for a 2-bed flat is the average) and I've visited the city center a couple of times, but would like to know if there are any nice/bad areas to live? I'm young but would prefer somewhere quieter to live if finances allow. Also, any small details would be useful, such as car parking costs in the city center (which I hope is cheaper than Oxford's £14 for 4 hours), decent places to eat that aren't hugely expensive, etc.

Thanks very much!

Expensive, but a very nice, friendly City.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a program on last night called It was alright in the 70's . If you remove the sexism but keep the racism and throw in afew heroin addicts then that's pretty much what Norwich is like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on The Hampdens. Ex Husband lives on Queens Hill.

How is it to live there and travel into the city?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On my daily commute I pass the Sainsburys roundabout near Queens Hill(s). The roundabout is a bit of a bugger to exit at rush hour from the Retail Park/Queens Hills. Chapel Break & Costessey (NR5) are a bit closer. I work at the Bowthorpe Industrial Estate, right beside Chapel Break where I sometimes take a lunchtime constitutional. Nice housing estate built mid since 1980s and further expansion at nearby Three Score is planned.

The A1074 Dereham Road city bound can be quite slow going at rush hour. There is a bus lane so it's better for bus users than car users.

I used to live in the NR7 postcode (East & North East Norwich)and I think the city centre is more accessable from that side. Thorpe St Andrew offers decent schools and Sprowston offers reason value for money housing. I used to live on the housing estate in between the 2 areas.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    It's a magnet for Chinese students so I hear.

They have an insatiable thirst for Norwich.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry for delay, only just seen this.

It's exactly as progrocker has described. Dereham Road can get snarled up at the drop of a hat. Small shunts block the road right down to the Bowthorpe Industrial Estate roundabout and beyond (you can get passed this by going down Richmond Road and coming out at the Roundwell Medical Centre ights). It's only going to get worse when Hampdens View is built (it's just being started now) and Next appears at the Sainsburys roundabout.

On the plus side, the shops are within walking distance. Close to the doctors. Buses every ten minutes into the city. The Hampdens itself is very nice, quiet, safe.

The Chinese students used to come for the Bell Language School in Bowthorpe which has closed now. Shame really as they bought a different vibe to the area.

God I love Norwich, I never want to leave.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think of the idea of this 'northern distributor road' they're planning?

For me it would be convenient if I was to drive to Great Yarmouth/Acle etc, because it would mean I wouldn't have to go round the ring road to get to the A47.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think of the idea of this 'northern distributor road' they're planning?

For me it would be convenient if I was to drive to Great Yarmouth/Acle etc, because it would mean I wouldn't have to go round the ring road to get to the A47.

Despite being a potential Green Party voter next year I'm all for it. :)

I hate having to negotiate the northern part of the outer ring road - it really is 'the 7th circle of hell'. >:( Feel very sorry for the people who live on that road. :(
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Despite being a potential Green Party voter next year I'm all for it. :)

I hate having to negotiate the northern part of the outer ring road - it really is 'the 7th circle of hell'. >:( Feel very sorry for the people who live on that road. :(

If I have to go to the North East of the city I tend to use the unofficial northern ring road. A47 off at Postwick across using the road that Makro is on, across to Blue Boar Lane, and skirt round the north of the city as far as Costessey. If I have to be in the North West there's not a lot of choice apart from coming into the city itself unfortunately as far as I can see. :cry:
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    We like Norwich. We popped over one weekend and had a cheap hotel break. The shops and centre were good, impressive looking castle in the middle.

After reading all this, I want to do the same!