Options

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, BBC1 Xmas Day, 6pm.

Comments

• Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very Christmassy. Not enough Rory

6.5 out of 10

Trailer however... AWESOME!!!
    Wonder if the men in black will be the same men in black from the cartoon and SJA?

And Ooooooooooooooood!

Aaaaand the markings on River and Amy - Satan Pit anyone?
  • Options
    DaisyunuDaisyunu Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diva_moon wrote: »
    I didn't even bother to watch it this year. Already sick of Dickens' classic being re-made as "modern" stories, so very unimaginative doing a Dickens ploy, therefore predictable ending.

No point watching it just for Mat Smith's stupid haircut. RIP Doctor Who

Because you really know what the episode is like after not watching it!

I thought it was brilliant. Prooobably my favourite Christmas episode! I think the really funny dialogue helps though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, he is growing to grow a beard!
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't impressed, quite possibly the weakest christmas special so far, there wasn't any real excitment in the episode, was that flying shark supposed to be scary? the preview for season 6 looks good though.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked gorgeous in HD but that's about the only good thing I can find to say about it.

Muddled, confusing story. This is what happens when the man in charge is also the writer. There's no one to say it isn't working. :(
  • Options
    jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Excellent!!! Typical Xmas story. Totally off the wall.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was that flying shark supposed to be scary? t

well i think it's initial appearance was very well done, it certainly made me jump!
  • Options
    CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my i dont understand people not liking this i thought it was absolutley gorgeous!

Michael gambon was amazing as usual! Such a gorgeous episode, my favourite episode since turn Left
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually kinda liked it.

However, on repeat viewing I may think differently.

(Made me cry though...:o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Next series, looks amazing. :eek:

I thought the episode was great overall. It had it's dull bits, but I never found it that hard to follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »

Muddled, confusing story.(

I am baffled as to why anyone could call that story confusing. It was simplicity itself. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it - sharks and Kathreine Jenkins and all and now onto JB on Strictly - yay.
  • Options
    lindop1993lindop1993 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at first i was absolutely scared at the glance of the ood (never seen the impossible planet and satan pit) but then i saw the xmas special and i loved that they were peaceful but if threatened they slyfully fight back (the ood turned that asshole into an ood) and ironically i wasnt scared of them anymore

now i cant wait for them to come back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it - sharks and Kathreine Jenkins and all and now onto JB on Strictly - yay.

I know, his up first, I bet he is brilliant. Shame it's only a one off really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and get me a FEZ!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It gave us the sort of muddled, inept shrillness that we haven't seen since Russell T Davis left. Utterly disappointing in almost every way. The music was particularly over-bearing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great :)
  • Options
    027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm never overly excited about Who xmas episodes, although it's always nice to something to watch amongst a dredge of miserable soaps and film repeats. The christmas specials are never going to be as good as the actual series, as they're always tied down in some way to a christmas theme.

However, this has been my favourite christmas special so far. I enjoyed the story alot more than any other year and enjoyed it quite a bit. Plus series 6 looks great as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    I think the fact that you have been able to put the majority of the episode story in two short lines shows the basic problem to be honest.

It was just uber filler tastic, nothing to get excited or worried about, just dull.

The trailer at the end looked good though.

*chuckle*

It wasn't Shakespeare...it was fun, family entertainment. I'm just taking it for what it was and I enjoyed it, so did the show's demographic in my house.

I'm looking forward to the new series more than I was looking forward to this, this is nice bit of fluff with a charming story to get tastes wetted.

The trailer looks great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amy and Rory were hardly in it.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    CJWALKER wrote: »
    Oh my i dont understand people not liking this i thought it was absolutley gorgeous!

Michael gambon was amazing as usual! Such a gorgeous episode, my favourite episode since turn Left

Completely agree, had a tear in my eye at the end, great stuff :)

A lot of people seemed to have decided they weren't going to like it before it even started, which I find terribly sad,

Loved every minute of it :)
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Ooh I am looking forward to watching this fully - missed the beginning as I decided to take my Audi sledging around a friend's place!

From what I saw it looked like good ol' Christmas hokum - but better still the trailers look awesome!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply stunning. Very very tight, Moffat's usual stunning ability to make a complicated idea simple, brilliant acting, SUPERB production design and directing (this was movie quality in a lot of places), funny, entertaining and just flat out brilliant. Great takes on the Christmas Carol story which always seemed to take a left when you expected it to go right (I really didn't see the Christmas Future thing going where it did).

Only thing I'd say is I would have like a bit more Amy and Rory BUT... it worked. It made their situation (and by extension the lives of 4,000 people) so much more urgent when they did make their appearance. And yes, I admit, I had a lump in my throat at the ending. Fun, funny, scary when it needed to be, some VERY dark topics (especially for Christmas, wasn't expecting to hear the father actually hit his son) and tight as a drum in terms of script. Bravo Mr Moffat, Bravo.

Oh, and for the first time ever I had friends sending (very brief) texts during an episode as their jaws hit the floor.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was too much timey wimey but it was better than the Runaway Bride or Voyage of the Damned.

I know this is nitpicking, but am slightly disappointed the not allowed to touch yourself from a different time period rule from Mawdryn Undead has been undone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The bit when they're being pulled by the shark through the clouds, all grinning and laughing inanely made me cringe :o