BT Broadband support...unbelievably bad customer service!

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
I recently set up a wireless network with bt, but when trying to connect for the first time with the given login and password it gave an error message and code.

So this morning I called the support number that was given on the mail confirmation form BT when I subscribed to the network.

After a while, a guy answered the phone and all I caught was 'BT', nothing else, I had to ask him to repeat himself, and I got a kind of sarcastic 'YOUR NAME, PLEASE' response.

So, I gave my name and the usual verification details. I then described the problem, told him there was an error code and message, and asked him of he wanted the full details of the error message, and the response I got was

'Ah well y'see that's nothing to do with us if you can't get a network connection, there's nothing we can do, but you could try turning your PC off and on again'

I was actually stunned into silence for a little while...no attempt to even listen to what I said, to try and determine what the problem might be, or to even listen to the details of the error description!

And then, I regret to say, I got angry. Not something I am proud of, and something I advocate never to do in those situations...but this really got to me.

The actual words I used were...'You're having a f******g laugh, are'nt you? Turn it off and on again? Is that the best you can do? Is that it? I could get a monkey to tell me that!'

At which point he cut me off.

I kind of regret having lost it...but I was inscensed at this guys attitude...I got the impression he really did not want to be there, and while I kind of understand that on christmas day, he's paid to do a job like anyone else and should at least provide a modicum of help, not just do his level best to get people off the phone, which is how it came across to me.

Not sure what to do now, maybe my name is flagged as an abusive customer...might have to leave it a day or two...

Comments

• yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phone them back. you're a paying customer. he's probably earning at least double time today and is there from choice. when i worked in a call centre they had considerably less calls to deal with on xmas day and people just came in and did 4hr shifts at triple time rather than doing the whole day. Try not to lose your temper or swear though as that gives the agent the perfect excuse to hang up on you.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it sounds like appauling customer service. If they dont want to work xmas day, then they should say no.
    No idea what you can do as I have never had BT broadband. Hopefully someone will have some advice for you on here. Comes to something when you cant get the help from the place you should be getting it from though!
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT BB customer service is in India so there's often a problem understanding each other. Call again, speak slowly and clearly. Hopefully he'll have gone home and you'll get someone else now! It's been quite hit and miss when I've rung with some helping me more than others. Takes several calls sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect your home network is not their problem. They're responsible for providing you broadband and nothing more.

If you're using Windows you shouldn't need to enter a username, just a password.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT BB customer service is in India so there's often a problem understanding each other. Call again, speak slowly and clearly. Hopefully he'll have gone home and you'll get someone else now! It's been quite hit and miss when I've rung with some helping me more than others. Takes several calls sometimes.

Actually, the guy I spoke to was English. To be honest, after that first call I decided I did not want to spend a considerable portion of christmas day on the phone trying to sort out a technical problem, would rather leave it a day or two and wait until I am in a better frame of mind also.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    With all due respect your home network is not their problem. They're responsible for providing you broadband and nothing more.

If you're using Windows you shouldn't need to enter a username, just a password.

???

I paid for a subscription for BT Openzone, to enable me to use my laptop wirelessly. I was emailed a username and password. I tried connecting remotely, and got the aforementioned error.

It's not like I have not used wireless remote before, I have.

And it's possible there could be something I need to change in my settings or configuration, which is precisely why I called the support line.
  • ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did you pay for a BT Openzone subscription? If you have a BT Home Hub (or other wireless router) you just connect to the wireless provided by that, not BT Openzone.

And to connect to that you just need the code provided with the box (or create one in the hub control panel).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the guy I spoke to was English. .

Probably today they switched over to UK only service then as they do that sometimes. It's usually India though. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choc doc is wrong OP. If you have a BT Hub you should be able to get online wirelessly and if you can't it IS their problem. When I rang we were getting BB fine on the PC but my daughter couldn't get online on her laptop despite inputting the correct code. She needed it for homework, was a Sunday evening, so the BT BB lady in India rang me back and spoke almost an hour to her, rather than relaying everything through me, and told her what to do on her school laptop. She was great, very laptop knowledgeable and got her online eventually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the guy I spoke to was English. To be honest, after that first call I decided I did not want to spend a considerable portion of christmas day on the phone trying to sort out a technical problem, would rather leave it a day or two and wait until I am in a better frame of mind also.

Good idea but you may get someone in India next time. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choc doc is wrong OP. If you have a BT Hub you should be able to get online wirelessly and if you can't it IS their problem. When I rang we were getting BB fine on the PC but my daughter couldn't get online on her laptop despite inputting the correct code. She needed it for homework, was a Sunday evening, so the BT BB lady in India rang me back and spoke almost an hour to her, rather than relaying everything through me, and told her what to do on her school laptop. She was great, very laptop knowledgeable and got her online eventually.

Sorry the OP didn't say he was setting up Openzone so, like you, I assumed he was using a hub. You don't need a username to set up wireless on a hub, so I assumed his network was set up incorrectly if it was asking for this.

And I'm not wrong about the level of support BT will give you, you were lucky. The level of support that BT give you is indicitive of the OP's problem.