Best Mix? Judges on Various Shows: Simon, Cheryl, Paula, Piers, Sharon, Nigel, etc

SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
Forum Member
✭✭
What qualities/ personalities/ balance, etc do you think make the best judge (panel)…. Based on looking at what has & hasn’t worked in the past:

American Idol & X Factor
Idol
Simon/ Randy/ Paula…… worked
Simon/ Randy/ Paula/ Kara……..not as much
Simon/ Randy/ Kara/ Ellen………not as much

X Factor
Simon/ Louis/ Sharon…… (guessing not as much)
Simon/ Louis/ Sharon/ Danii…….. (guessing not as much)
Simon/ Louis/ Danii/ Cheryl …..worked

X Factor Au
Natalia/ Ronan/ Guy/ Kyle …..not as much

Recent Guest Audition Judges
Idol Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Shania Twain, Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris and Kristin Chenoweth
XF Geri Halliwell, Natalie Imbruglia, Pixie Lott, Katy Perry, Nicole

America's & Britain's Got Talent
US (Piers/ Hasselhoff/ Brandy-Sharon-Howie) … not as much (compared to BGT)
UK (Simon/ Amanda/ Piers) …. Worked

Strictly/ DWTS
UK (Len/ Bruno/ Craig/ Arlene- Alesha )
US (Len/ Bruno/ Carrie Ann )

So You Think You Can Dance
US (Nigel/ Adam Shankman/ Mary Murphy -Mia Michaels)
UK (Nigel/ Arlene/ Louise Redknapp/ Sisco Gomez)
AU (Bonnie Lythgoe/ Jason Coleman/ Matt Lee)

Comments

• Helen90Helen90 Posts: 4,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't think the judging panel on X Factor Oz worked? I thought it was perfect - except for maybe Natalie, I would have kept Marcia from Australian Idol instead.

For X Factor UK, I think Simon/Louis/Cheryl/Sharon would be very interesting, but I wouldn't want Dannii to go out.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon, Louis and Sharon did work, IMO. Especially in series 2 but Sharon went from being shocking to being quite predictable and boring so by series 4 the novelty really had worn off.

Idol has been hopeless at picking new judges. Simon, Kara, Randy and Ellen was dire. Though not helped by the insanely dull contestants who gave them little material. It looks like they might be going down the recent XF road with a "happy" panel by adding Steve Tyler and J'Lo so it'll be interesting to see if that works out. Apparently Randy has woken up as well.

I don't think America's Got Talent has ever got it right. I've said before that Julianne Hough should be on the panel. All round talent (sings, dances, acts), all American girl, very sweet, very cute and now she even has a showbiz romance. I could totally see her shedding a tear as someone tells their sad story. The show skews a bit old so logically, you'd put someone younger on the panel.

When considering XF US, I think they should have:

Simon Cowell
    Cheryl Cole or equivalent (young, hot, cries a lot, sympathetic, bickers with Simon)
    Paula Abdul/Sharon Osbourne (slightly older than the Cheryl type, a bit crazy as well)
    Young "behind the scenes" figure (a young and fast rising manager, A&R exec or producer - some male eye candy for younger viewers)

So I suppose you could say that's what I think is a "formula" for a good judging panel. But I think the current XF panel and the original Idol & BGT panels have all worked really well in different ways.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I think that this judging panel on X factor (Simon, Cheryl, Dannii, Louis) is fab and is working great.

Add Neil Patrick Harris to it and it would be even better!:D
  • SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen90 wrote: »
    You don't think the judging panel on X Factor Oz worked? I thought it was perfect - except for maybe Natalie, I would have kept Marcia from Australian Idol instead.

For X Factor UK, I think Simon/Louis/Cheryl/Sharon would be very interesting, but I wouldn't want Dannii to go out.

To be fair- I didn't think XF Au was a bad panel, I was probably thinking more of the show not accomplishing the numbers they were aiming for, which in their case, probably involves many other factors (budget, the Australia viewing public in general, etc).

In fact, I do think they came off better as a panel than as individual judges (in that they all have problems for me individually, but the problems are so different that they worked to some extent)....

Kyle has the right ingredients for a perfect judge, but in the case of xfactor where the mentor element is involved, he is almost too slack of a mentor for him to really be great.

Natalie is a great mentor & straightforward judge, but almost too blaze. But in the end she is a good anchor (like Danii in some ways).

Guy doesn't really hit the mark for me. Sort of strange because formulamatically he should work. But while I think he does a decent job as a mentor and judge, there is something missing (again strange seeing as he won idol). Not sure what it is, but he is both likable and not likable at the same time in different ways. He worked within the panel, but not a very compelling character than you want to watch.

Ronan is a good judge and mentor as well. I like the bit of arragance he brings, but at times he verged on whinny or bitter. But overall he balances out the panel.

Regarding Idol Au, I thought Marcia was pretty good (sort of a Paula character). And I thought Jay Dee was really good when featured during the audition rounds and early in the show. That said, I think he did decline a bit in appeal towards the end of the show. Not sure if it was due to him changing in some way, or if he is someone who becomes less appealing the more the viewer gets to know him?
  • SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Simon, Louis and Sharon did work, IMO. Especially in series 2 but Sharon went from being shocking to being quite predictable and boring so by series 4 the novelty really had worn off.
    Similar to my response about Xfactor AU, I was soley labeling Simon/ Louis/ Sharon as not workings as well....based from a quick comparative numbers point of view. And in fact I never saw them as a panel. (That said I have never been a fan of Sharon on other shows, but I often thought she may be more appealing to a british audience?).

Idol has been hopeless at picking new judges. Simon, Kara, Randy and Ellen was dire. Though not helped by the insanely dull contestants who gave them little material. It looks like they might be going down the recent XF road with a "happy" panel by adding Steve Tyler and J'Lo so it'll be interesting to see if that works out. Apparently Randy has woken up as well.
    I agree. Idol has been hopeless at picking judges. Simon & Paula is the only combo that has worked IMO. (in fact I have always thought Randy was a drag, but bc Simon/ Paula worked so well he was sort of thrown into the "good juding panel" group). I actually think Randy/ JLo/ Tyler may miss the mark as well, but Idol has several years to tweak if needed. I think the new mix is hard to prejudge & will almost take trial and error to see if they work as a whole.

I don't think America's Got Talent has ever got it right. I've said before that Julianne Hough should be on the panel. All round talent (sings, dances, acts), all American girl, very sweet, very cute and now she even has a showbiz romance. I could totally see her shedding a tear as someone tells their sad story. The show skews a bit old so logically, you'd put someone younger on the panel.
    Again completely agree. AGT has failed a finding the right panel (or host for that matter). And also think Julianne Hough would be great as a judge (really on any of these shows). I think she is one of the few that really does have the "xfactor" for a "judge character" on almost all of the "judge panel" reality shows.

(She is Incredably Hot, accomplish dancer, tv personality, now has a #1 US Country album & top 5 general US album, Footloose Movie supposedly coming out next year, she can be both sweet and provactive, press interested in her love life).... that pretty much ticks all the boxes.

When considering XF US, I think they should have:

Simon Cowell
    Cheryl Cole or equivalent (young, hot, cries a lot, sympathetic, bickers with Simon)
    Paula Abdul/Sharon Osbourne (slightly older than the Cheryl type, a bit crazy as well)
    Young "behind the scenes" figure (a young and fast rising manager, A&R exec or producer - some male eye candy for younger viewers)

So I suppose you could say that's what I think is a "formula" for a good judging panel. But I think the current XF panel and the original Idol & BGT panels have all worked really well in different ways.

Completely agree with this as well…. (looks like Simon is fairly valuable, seeing as he is on all 3 of the panels that work.) But since he has been on a panel that doesn’t work, he can’t carry a show on his own. In which case I think the formula you described is certainly a good one. With a similar formula, I thought Shania Tw may fit the “slightly older, bit crazy” judge. & someone like Enrique Ig may fit the younger male. But a fast rising attractive younger guy from the business end would work as well, assuming there is someone who is the perfect fit for this description.
    Simon/ Cheryl perfectly cover the first half of that formula on XF & USXF. (although interestingly, I think on BGT , Piers & Amanda sort of fill that dynamic..... making Simon not as essential as he is on XF/Idol).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best judges
    Randy
    Dannii
    Louis
    Nicole
    Nigel

I would like to add Simon but he was dishonest in the last X Factor series and far too biased for his own act which clouded his judgement.

Pointless judges
    Paula
    Cheryl
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven Tyler could be a brilliant judges if he comes out with more stuff like this

“Hell fire, save matches, f—k a duck and see what hatches!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJ2Um_H_1Q#t=4m00s
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could choose a panel I'd choose, Simon, Randy, Kara and either Nicole or Dannii.

Louis, Cheryl and Paula are all as bad as each other and don't get me started on Ellen, she's a great chat show host but didn't work on Idol.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,725
    Forum Member
    I think the X Factor panel works quite well now. The only person I am not bothered about is Simon.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original X Factor line-up was one of the best judging panels ever. Simon, Louis and Sharon worked so well together - they were hilarious. Danni added to the mix did ruin the dynamic and Sharon did lose her place slightly. If I had a choice, I'd gladly go back to the original line-up.
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the SIMON/DANNII/LOUIS/SHARON mix because you had sharon who was feisty and then u had Dannii who was calm and collective and the pretty one. I also liked the chemistry between dannii and simon!

But i do like the current panel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon/Dannii/Cheryl/Louis is the best panel of all current ones.

It just clicks and they all have a chemistry, and Simon would be a fool to change it.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon, Sharon and Louis worked well, in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as much as i despise of sharons behaviour towards dannii, she did bring alot to the panel but i think her mentoring is the worst the shows ever had!
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Simon, Louis and Sharon had the best chemistry as a judging panel. They all gave as good as they got. If Cheryl had joined instead of Danni it would have been brilliant. Cheryl and Sharon would've gotton along a lot better than Danni and Sharon and the panel would be more balanced.

I don't like Simon, Cheryl, Danni and Louis line up. It's like Simon and Cheryl v Danni and Louis and it's really nauseating how each year they manage to make it less and less about putting on a good show for people to enjoy and more about Simon and Cheryl's ego's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Simon, Louis and Sharon had the best chemistry as a judging panel. They all gave as good as they got. If Cheryl had joined instead of Danni it would have been brilliant. Cheryl and Sharon would've gotton along a lot better than Danni and Sharon and the panel would be more balanced.

I don't like Simon, Cheryl, Danni and Louis line up. It's like Simon and Cheryl v Danni and Louis and it's really nauseating how each year they manage to make it less and less about putting on a good show for people to enjoy and more about Simon and Cheryl's ego's.

I still believe Sharon would have left if cheryl had joined instead of Dannii! Sharon just wouldn't have been as vocal about cheryl imo and left silently
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    If X Factor replaced Cheryl with Kara, it would be a perfect panel in my opinion.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    If X Factor replaced Cheryl with Kara, it would be a perfect panel in my opinion.
    The funny thing with Kara was that while she was spot on and I agreed with pretty much everything she said, there was something extremely irritating about her that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wanted to like her but couldn't :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing with Kara was that while she was spot on and I agreed with pretty much everything she said, there was something extremely irritating about her that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wanted to like her but couldn't :o

Same!

I did LOVE her and Bikini girls audition though, highlight of that series for me.