Top Gear

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Alan Turing, without whome we would not have the computers we have today.

There were also a few other people working at Bletchley Park during WWII. Turing was a brilliant mathematician but I always think his role gets talked up by the homosexual lobby to such an extent that many people would have difficulty in naming any of the others working at Bletchley Park.
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really doesn't bother me that certain elemnts are 'staged'.

Yes, we all knew as soon as Hammond put the chip pan on there was gonna be a blaze, butit didn't stop me pmsl-ing!

Loved the arguments between Hammond and May over the tannoy and the fact the drinks trolley wouldnt fit through the door.

As long as it still makes me chuckle, i couldn't give a flying toss if parts aren't as genuine as they could be, and to all the moaners, if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH!
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »
    It really doesn't bother me that certain elemnts are 'staged'.

Yes, we all knew as soon as Hammond put the chip pan on there was gonna be a blaze, butit didn't stop me pmsl-ing!

Loved the arguments between Hammond and May over the tannoy and the fact the drinks trolley wouldnt fit through the door.

As long as it still makes me chuckle, i couldn't give a flying toss if parts aren't as genuine as they could be, and to all the moaners, if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH!

Indeed :D
    I still chuckle at just thinking about the scene in the Christmas special when they visit the USA town called 'Intercourse'.

Scripted? Probably.
    Funny? Definitely. :D
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously it is all scripted but it is still really funny.

I surprised how any of those 'passengers' managed to keep their faces straight, they looked really serious throughout, either it took them many takes or they are just boring government people anyway! :D
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by a "proper car programme", the petrolheads want 60 minutes of expensive fast cars that they will never be able to afford being driven around in circles to try and wreck the expensive tyres.

I would like an intelligent discussion about vehicles of all types and driving in general. The much missed Going Places on Radio 4 used to cover all aspects of transports and all types of vehicles - I remember a good serious road test of a real snow blower not a joke one as on Top Gear.

But Top Gear is just entertainment that fills in an hour and gives a few laughs.

I quite enjoy the challenges - the one where they all raced from London to Edinburgh in a Steam Train, Car and Motorbike, for example, was great. It was just this train one that pushed it all a bit too far for me...
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »
    If you didn't know Clarksons on screen persona is a character, then...well now you do.

I always thought he did stuff because he knew it would annoy people.

I can't help but shake my head quizzically at all the people who allow themselves to get properly outraged and offended by him.

And all those who think its just for kids, well, aren't we all kids at heart when it comes to programmes like this (my kids were on the floor laughing....budding petrol heads both of them). For all those who need to watch serious car programmes there is Jason's Used Car Roadshow and FG which I actually enjoy too.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I think that the overall issue with the programme is it mixes comedy & fact too much.

Reading this thread, it is clear some people tune in for the factual side of the programme, such as the fast-car-reviews and road tests, wheras other prefer the comedy challenges such as last night's hilarious (in my opinion) train challenge.

What the BBC really need to decide is whether it is a factual or comedy programme. Mixing the two clearly doesn't work.

I believe that the three presenters together doing their challenges works well, as each of them work well as a comparison to each of their individual personalities.

In which case, a show featuring all of their weird, wacky
    and laughable challenges should be aired seperate to all the factual stuff.

When TG was on in the 80's, it was purely factual. And half an hour. So why don't they do a purely factual review show, under the name 'Top Gear', that lasts half an hour, and is say broadcast on sunday nights,

And then have a seperate 'Top Gear: The Challenges' show featuring all the humour on in a primetime slot, say, 8pm tuesdays / wednesdays.

Then the audience could choose which part to watch and save all of the criticism the current show gets from people who only like certain aspects.

We do have that programme, of sorts. Most of the old Top Gear team like Vicki, Tiff, Quentin and Jon Bentley moved to 5 to present Fifth Gear. Its ratings are understandably far lower than TG and I believe it was even threatened with cancellation a couple of years ago.

Jeremy Clarkson has said that he quit the original Top Gear because he had totally failed to write anything of interest for a segment on the Renault Clio literally because he had found absolutely nothing of interest about the Clio.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Izak wrote: »
    I surprised how any of those 'passengers' managed to keep their faces straight, they looked really serious throughout, either it took them many takes or they are just boring government people anyway!
    I assumed they were actors. Plenty of resting dears to be had for peanuts down the local dole office.
  • Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a brilliant episode of a programme on top of its game.
  • Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    To (ironically and appropriately) paraphrase Blackadder, you couldn't be more wrong if you'd graduated from the University of Wrong with a first class degree in wrongness.

I merely state the following facts:

10 years.
    17 series.
    Sold to almost every country on Earth.
    3 international spinoff versions.
    The highest rating TV show on BBC2
    The highest rating TV show on Dave

And for those of you who wonder what Clarkson is really like outside of his media life, look at his excellent, thoughtful, reserved, entertaining yet accomplished documentaries on the VC, the St Nazaire Raid, Inventions that Changed The World (where he mourns a computer geek who commited suicide because he was homosexual in 1940s/50s Britain) and above all, his iconic, legendary portrait of Brunel that would have made Fred Dibnah proud. THAT's the real Clarkson.

I used to work with JC and AW and I wish i could say he was a prick and all different but i cant, he is just the same bloke as you see on the tv.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In the Sports train carridge for a few minutes I was sure the other guy was David Gower :D
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There were also a few other people working at Bletchley Park during WWII. Turing was a brilliant mathematician but I always think his role gets talked up by the homosexual lobby to such an extent that many people would have difficulty in naming any of the others working at Bletchley Park.
    Tommy Flowers. He's the one that got their computer working.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    To (ironically and appropriately) paraphrase Blackadder, you couldn't be more wrong if you'd graduated from the University of Wrong with a first class degree in wrongness.

10 years.
    17 series.

And for those of you who wonder what Clarkson is really like outside of his media life, look at his excellent, thoughtful, reserved, entertaining yet accomplished documentaries on the VC, the St Nazaire Raid, Inventions that Changed The World (where he mourns a computer geek who commited suicide because he was homosexual in 1940s/50s Britain) and above all, his iconic, legendary portrait of Brunel that would have made Fred Dibnah proud. THAT's the real Clarkson.

Great post. If DS had a rep system, you'd get a load for that post.
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Alan Turing, without whome we would not have the computers we have today.

However I must take issue with the earlier posting saying Rowan Atkinson's stand up career was undervalued. He doesn't do it any more but he was major star when he did do it, in a time that predates BlackAdder and Bean by some years. Not The Nine O'Clock News made him a name but his stand up act made him a star, which got him the BlackAdder lead in the first place. I suspect if you mention to any current stand up comedian Atkinson's 'calling the school register' monologue they'll wax lyrical about it for some time.

I've seen that so many times and still find it hilarious.
    I used to work with JC and AW and I wish i could say he was a prick and all different but i cant, he is just the same bloke as you see on the tv.

Two points:
    - I am officially jealous of you, and
    - James May has said that they are all basically how they are on TG, just slightly exaggerated. I'm sure that JC, like everyone, has many different aspects of his personality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I can't get my head around the speed of the Nissan, off the line, compared to the Jag.

Get your head around it :)
    MIND BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :O
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did come across really well.

I'm a fan anyway, but you can never be sure how your sporting heroes will fare on entertainment shows. He was really charming though.

I would have a crush if I wasn't too old for that sort of thing. :D

I am too old probably but I know what you mean. ;) Vettel came across so nice, really funny and down to earth.
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the old style challanges, like 'buy an Italian sports car for £2500 and then do some tests'

The ones nowadays when watched are so obvious as to the outcome.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

10 years.
    17 series.

The poster is correct about BBC-2

BBC2
    w/e 10 Jul 2011 000's
    1 TOP GEAR (SUN 2002) 5,409
    2 THE APPRENTICE - YOU'RE FIRED! (WED 2200)3,878
    3 MOCK THE WEEK (THU 2202) 2,617
    4 UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE (MON 2002) 2,490
    5 COAST (SUN 2105) 2,269

but Top Gear is not in Dave's Top 10 shows:

Dave (was UKTV G2)
    w/e 3 Jul 2011
    000's
    1 NOT GOING OUT (TUE 2101) 324
    2 QI (TUE 2140) 323
    3 QI (MON 2220) 294
    4 MOCK THE WEEK (WED 2141) 284
    5 QI (WED 2221) 279
    6 HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU (MON 2140) 276
    7 HAVE I GOT A BIT MORE NEWS (SUN 2100) 262
    8 HAVE I GOT A BIT MORE NEWS (FRI 2100) 253
    9 LEE MACK LIVE (SUN 2300) 251
    10 GAVIN AND STACEY (SAT 2241) 247

I was surprised Top Gear is not in Dave's Top 10
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I was surprised Top Gear is not in Dave's Top 10

Me too, maybe its because its rarely shown in primetime on Dave.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Train stuff was hilarious.

Stunned at the quality of people wasting their time in Johnny English - Dominic West, Rosamund Pike, Gillian Anderson.... The original is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen and it’s disappointing to see the talented Atkinson wasting his time on another one of these abominations.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice bit of eye candy in the front row. :D
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Train stuff was hilarious.

Stunned at the quality of people wasting their time in Johnny English - Dominic West, Rosamund Pike, Gillian Anderson.... The original is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen and it’s disappointing to see the talented Atkinson wasting his time on another one of these abominations.

They sell through internationally very well. Atkinson is one of the few western comedians who appeals all around the world, even in Asian countries because of his slapstick style. They might not be sophisticated humour but that's partly why they do well in places with less educated folks in parts of Asia and the Middle East.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shouldnt they be wearing safety equipment, especially helmets?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will they edit out all the bike race references for Dave?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    What a pointless last 20 minutes.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    How will they edit out all the bike race references for Dave?

Why would they need to? They've referred to TV events before like snooker etc in other episodes.
This discussion has been closed.