Just shopped at Lidl's for the first time in years great value

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Had a bit of an expensive month and need to cut back till payday a week on Friday.

Can't believe how much bargains you get ok its brands you have never heard of but I am giving them a go.

May consider going there permanently and stop going to Tescos which is horrendously expensive now

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've used Lidl for years and agree it's a good value shop. The meat is quite good as well and it's all Scottish.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidl is awful. Rubbish named brands that taste nothing like the original brand they are impersonating. Sometimes I think it's worth paying a little more just for enjoyment of the product itself.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the likes of Lidl is that if you go in there with a shopping list you can only guarantee coming away with half of what's on the list
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always thought lidl was a poor mans shop?
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

There were a lot of East Europeans shopping when I was in
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nah, the people I know around here who all have loads of cash all shop in Lidl. They have some really good stuff.

I get my meat from the local butcher, get cold meats and cheese from the indoor market and my veg from the outdoor market, but I go to Lidl for items like plum tomatoes, kidney beans etc, fruit juice, and they have a lovely smoked salmon that tastes better than the more expensive ones in other supermarkets.

I'm not bothered about brand names. So long as it tastes good, why pay more?

Edited to say - and around Christmas they do these stollen bits that are ever so tasty. I always look forward to them!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Aldi.

Because they are truly awesome as well as cheap.:D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sticking up for Lidl here.

I like them, not just for mostly lower prices (note, some items ars same price as other shops), but for the different brands. Some of these different brands IMO taste better than the very similar product we are more used to in (for example) Sainsburys.

Downsides, well, unlike previous years they let themselves down on the run up to Xmas 2012. They had a quite a good Xmas line up early on, but 2 weeks before Xmas most of their Xmas lines were being taken down and the normal ones put back in place. Other people we know who went there also said the same thing. Dont know what they were up to.

For us, Lidl is only 8miles away, but on the wrong side of town, so it means getting stuck in traffic. Would go more often if we lived that side, or they opened a store on our side.

The nearest Aldi store is 12-14miles away so we cant justify the fuel to go there (and back).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I like Waitrose better :)
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Our lidl is usually full of East europeans buying cheap beer and vodka. Also they seem to be cheaper because they have hardly any staff.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am learning to love Lidl!

Fruit and veg is quite good value for money and the one near me quite often has cheap game (got two ducks and 6 quails for £8 :D )

It doesn't cost much less my usual Sainsbury's shop though tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bars of white chocolate you get in Lidl are delicious and it's the only place I can find olives stuffed with feta. Mmmm. :)
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sweets and biscuits are just as good as the more expensive named brands, and the frozen goods are excellent too.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why Lidl and Aldi came out top of the supermarkets .If only the snobs would even try it they might be quite surprised .Actually I suspect a lot of people DO use them but don't have the guts to admit it .
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    The Cheese Twists from my local Lidl's in-store bakery are sublime.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno what it's like in the rest of the UK, but here in NI Lidl's "inhouse bakery" jam-filled doughnuts are fabulous! I had to force myself to stop buying them by the dozen!
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    This is why Lidl and Aldi came out top of the supermarkets .If only the snobs would even try it they might be quite surprised .Actually I suspect a lot of people DO use them but don't have the guts to admit it .

This, so much.

Supermarket snobbery is just bizarre, and a reflection of how insecure those people are imo.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Lidl is awful. Rubbish named brands that taste nothing like the original brand they are impersonating. Sometimes I think it's worth paying a little more just for enjoyment of the product itself.

No its not awful .I have no problem saying I shop there and in Aldi .Because I do not throw my money away in supermarkets that are double the price .
    Have you tried their cakes ? biscuits ? jars of gurkens ? Some things in fact I go in for as they are better than some name brand
    You like named brands , Good for you .Maybe some of uis like Lidl brands .You might not like them doesnt mean its awful .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure about Lidl but I buy Aldi Pringle type crisps usually. This week I bought some real Pringles because they were on special offer and they were horrible. The overwhelming chemical smell when I opened them was enogh to put me off before I even tasted them

Our Aldi always has quite a few BMWs etc in the car park.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    lidl is ok, but aldi is better.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Have you tried their cakes ? biscuits ? jars of gurkens ? Some things in fact I go in for as they are better than some name brand

That's the problem with them. You go in for a jar of gherkins and come out with gurkens.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    I love Lidl - I shop there every week.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »
    That's the problem with them. You go in for a jar of gherkins and come out with gurkens.

Gurkens are much nicer !!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only annoying thing is that I always forget to take a carrier bag with me. :rolleyes:
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member

Our Lidl has a bipolar clientele.

There's always people from the council estate... and then lots of very wealthy people. One woman I know about actually lives in a manor house and she shops there all the time!

It's the paranoid "keep-up-with-the-Joneses" middle class folk who avoid Lidl like the plague.... and I've even seen a few of those in there a few times.... cramming multipack Lidl loo-roll into their Waitrose bag-for-life!