Options

Are you frightened of the testcard? Did you find it creepy as a child?

Comments

• Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    You aren't alone, this has come up a few times from others. A fair few people saw the body of the clown as a green skull!

I never saw it like this as a child, but can do so now it's been pointed out.

I used to think the clown's body was a green balloon
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I used to think the clown's body was a green balloon

As a very small child I remember seeing the testcard and generally taking in the image. Slowly, as I got older, it started to sink in as to what it was- but like you I didn't get it right at first :D

ISTR that it took me ages to work out what the clowns body was and IIRC, Carols skirt and the clowns feet took a long time to work out too!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If anyone was scared of that then they obviously needed help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If anyone was scared of that then they obviously needed help.

Children can be frightened by all sorts of innocuous things. Even if you haven't had children yourself, surely you remember being a child? :confused:
  • Options
    SkywavesSkywaves Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    edited 14/09/17 - 07:55 #31
    I have fond memories of the test card, but I never found it creepy. In those days, clowns were not regarded as scary like they are today. I used to love the music more than anything and would record it on my cassette recorder.

Fans of that test card music should check YouTube. I wouldn't be surprised if every piece of that test card music is there. You'll also find collections of Trade Test Transmissions programmes. I am so go glad that people have uploaded these for posterity.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 14/09/17 - 09:01 #32
    Other- Please state in thread.
    Skywaves wrote: »
    I have fond memories of the test card, but I never found it creepy. In those days, clowns were not regarded as scary like they are today. I used to love the music more than anything and would record it on my cassette recorder.

Fans of that test card music should check YouTube. I wouldn't be surprised if every piece of that test card music is there. You'll also find collections of Trade Test Transmissions programmes. I am so go glad that people have uploaded these for posterity.

The genuine original music of that period is available on two CDs. 'The girl, the doll, the music' and 'Big Bandwidth', both on the Flyback label. Probably long gone now. But it's weird listening to them now, as the tunes are in the same order as they were played on the test card and I find I know what's coming next. I suppose over 20 years at the repair bench does that to you!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes- please give your reason/s in thread.
    Yes - I think its the way she was looking almost sideways on that seemed rather suspect. And the clown. Clowns are never a good idea! :fearful:
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No because the scene was as bland as could be imagined.

Stunned anyone was even mildly entertained by it, let alone was made to feel uncomfortable in any way shape or form..
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember there was an advert which took the testcard - or a testcard like picture - and then rapidly aged the girl in the picture. I remember that seriously creeping me out. I've never been able to track down what the advert was for, so I'm half assuming I've imagined the whole thing, but if so, what a bizarre thing to imagine.

Edit - found it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LbSBXLpls4
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    I sometimes wonder if TV engineers dream about the testcard (as they were consciously and subconsciously exposed to it so much).

Can't say I ever have!
  • Options
    rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do encounter some utterly ludicrous concepts online but fear of an inanimate graphic is still astonishing. I also recall some poor souls sharing their fear of the Yorkshire TV ident.

Tell me, how are either going to harm the poor lambs? Will Carol Hersee's clown come in the night to murder them? Will the grid lines descend from the ceiling in the night to suffocate them? Should they be allowed out without a carer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17/09/17 - 16:43 #38
    No
    Children have less understanding of the world, combine this with a strong imagination and the possibilities are endless.

Don't think that 'Life On Mars' will have helped either :D
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember this test card? It used to have car horns beeping on it most of the time thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrKuH8_yKPY
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is bonkers ! The girl & clown were used because these included almost the full range of displayed colours with grey scale ....... Adding to the info already there in earlier grids and diffraction patterns for monochrome .......
  • Options
    adamofwarmfieldadamofwarmfield Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Ha ! I realise this is an old thread but I have just found this after some Googling about that famous test card. I thought it was just me that saw some kind of toy with a green skull and strange square yellow body facing the girl ! It always used to baffle me when I heard people referring to the girl and the doll/toy etc (singular). To me there was clearly two; the clown and the green head doll thing. In fact I think I may have been in my late teens or early twenties before I twigged that the skull was the clown's body. I think the thing is, when you are a kid you are programmed to see people FACING a blackboard, not sat beside it looking out. I remember the girl being so much older than me, looking maybe even old enough to be a teacher at school, so my mind was expecting to see someone facing her. It looked like some kind of weird doll or toy with either a big skull or even a helmet, leaning back and looking up at the girl. You could even see the tip of the nose, which is actually the clown's arm. What used to puzzle me as a child was the green head thing's left arm / shoulder which looked like some kind of tiny stunted thing at the end of a square shoulder, obscured by the girl's arm. Look at the clown's two buttons. That looked to me like studio lights shining on the smooth green skull / helmet. I don't think I ever wondered where the clown's body was. I guess I assumed it was obscured by that oversized green skull. I think it just used to puzzle me, not scare me. Anyway, I was never scared of clowns, but was wary of aliens with big green shiny heads and yellow square bodies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 04/02/18 - 01:08 #42
    No
    Nope, you weren't alone in thinking that way :D

It was only in the past few years that I realised that the yellow at the bottom of the doll (Bubbles) was a tablecloth; I had previously thought that it was the girls (Carole) skirt!
  • Options
    the cheesethe cheese Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    The girl looked strangely creepy as if she knew something you didn't - and I always wondered why she was playing noughts and crosses with a green glass skull. It wasn't until the internet came along in the late 1990s that I ever heard anyone mention that the green thing was part of the clown. Even now that seems 'wrong' to me.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 04/02/18 - 09:02 #44
    No
    Having grown up in the days of Test Card C and played with Dx TV a lot in my teens, test cards of many kinds were a regular part of my life. Therefore when colour and Test Card F came along I was well into adulthood and not spooked by it one bit. I just saw it for what it was, a novel way of showing colours and providing a centre mesh for convergence setting.
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    As a young child I certainly found the Test Card image a little bit creepy! I can't remember why though...
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No; loved it - miss it !
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    In often wondered who the girl was and why the picture was being shown. I thought it was something to do with Play School.
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There was nothing remotely scary about it. I knew that the testcard was there because programmes hadn't yet started. And the testcard had accompanying light music.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just needs updating for the modern era...

huhk41.png
  • Options
    SwebbsterSwebbster Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Test Card Blooper
    https://youtu.be/OIIxIJshmTw
  • Options
    seedybobseedybob Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    edited 10/03/18 - 13:18 #51
    My issue as a kid was all about the gameplay itself on the board. Was she "X" or "O" - why did she not put an X in the centre square? And it always puzzled me why there were no future moves made. By not putting the first move in the centre square I was pretty sure that a positive outcome to the game was more likely. Guess I was just a geek.