Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure that is the reason but it's just unfortunate that in Britain a common saying is 'it was like Beiruit' and this is not normally meant as a compliment;)
    the food looked lovely but the restaurant name to me is like calling an Iraqi one Saddams:eek:

Maybe a better solution would have been to call it Saida's. I assumed she might feel nostalgic. Didn't she say that her children were still in Lebanon, or are they elsewhere?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186354-d1027913-Reviews-Old_Hall_Inn-Peak_District_National_Park_England.html

The first two reviews are interesting! Two sides of something that happened in the restaurant at the Old Hall Inn, which features next week.

Agree with you, Bellamy, 'Saida's' would be a nice name.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64261630&postcount=332

Above is a link to next week's places( Old HalI Inn is one of them)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellamy wrote: »
    Good fun for the spectators:D

Oh yes! I love it! You just know what is going to happen :D:D
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186354-d1027913-Reviews-Old_Hall_Inn-Peak_District_National_Park_England.html

The first two reviews are interesting! Two sides of something that happened in the restaurant.

The Old Hall:confused: is this from an old show
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The first two reviews are interesting! Two sides of something that happened in the restaurant.

:eek: :confused: Two very different accounts there!! :D
    Forum Member

I've just read them both, and, on the face of it, the manager sounds as if he's got a point. They've also got overwhelmingly good reviews. People can sometimes be very blinkered over how their children behave.
    Forum Member
    The Old Hall:confused: is this from an old show

I was assuming it's one of next week's:confused:
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Sandi T is very tiny, you know - and Veronica rather less so:)

The nationality issue keeps cropping up, but I wonder if V is German. One of the guests on TA said "To my surprise the female inkeeper did welcome me in fluent german." http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186259-d568535-r137813622-The_Richwood-Torquay_English_Riviera_Devon_England.html#REVIEWS

They have so many good reviews, but, sadly, the animosity towards any criticism, deflects from the positives.

This was one of my pet hates when working as a Restaurant Manager. Diners did not look after their children and allowed them to run around the other customers tables. We were so busy and asked the parents if they could keep them in their safekeeping as hot coffee and food was being served and all it would take was a child colliding with a waitress and of course we would get the blame. In many cases, the parents were more interested in downing their drinks than supervising their children. It was not down to staff to look after them and several times parents had arguments amongst themselves because neither wanted to be with their kids. One of the less happy sides to restaurant work.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Ben and Katie - truely one of the nicest couples to have appeared on FIAB. They deserved to win, and their B&B looks amazing (still not sure about the yurts though...).
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    quite agree, all that hype and did end up a bit meh:(
    I wouldn't mind trying the Lebanese restaurant, some of that food looked yummy:p but I wouldn't want to stay there

I would love to try Lebanese food but not in that dump.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was assuming it's one of next week's:confused:

It is, I have put a link (courtesy of Birthday Girl) to them on the original post.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64261630&postcount=332

Above is a link to next week's places( Old HalI Inn is one of them)

Interesting comments on The Old Hall. Looks like a pair of irresponsible parents venting their spleen. The response is thoughtful and measured.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Ha ha:D Rosemary Shergar

No, I looked her up and it was Jean Broke- Smith or how I hope it is now Jean Gone Broke- Smith, she really was a top snob.

I remember her well gillie. She was an awful snob and didn't one of the couples have to be split because she only had a lumpy single bed in one of the rooms? She was blithely unbothered about the comfort of her guests and clearly living in reduced circumstances!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Interesting comments on The Old Hall. Looks like a pair of irresponsible parents venting their spleen. The response is thoughtful and measured.

I thought that too, Dan the landlord appears to reply to and thank all posters who like the place, has been a good sign in the past.
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    This was one of my pet hates when working as a Restaurant Manager. Diners did not look after their children and allowed them to run around the other customers tables. We were so busy and asked the parents if they could keep them in their safekeeping as hot coffee and food was being served and all it would take was a child colliding with a waitress and of course we would get the blame. In many cases, the parents were more interested in downing their drinks than supervising their children. It was not down to staff to look after them and several times parents had arguments amongst themselves because neither wanted to be with their kids. One of the less happy sides to restaurant work.

A few years back, when my brother had three under 5s, his family stayed at a hotel which tackled this problem by having superb separate children's facilities. It was far from cheap, but brilliantly done and the young 'uns loved it. Lots of happy families, and non-families co-existed in that hotel.
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    I would love to try Lebanese food but not in that dump.

:D:D:D Sums it up.
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I remember her well gillie. She was an awful snob and didn't one of the couples have to be split because she only had a lumpy single bed in one of the rooms? She was blithely unbothered about the comfort of her guests and clearly living in reduced circumstances!

Wasn't her B&B also untraceable - no name, no website? She'd been a principal at Lucy Clayton, and used to pop up with Paul Burrell and other illustrious folk. The phrase "opening of an envelope springs to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to a local pub for a Christmas Day dinner many years ago when our children were about 6 and 4. Obviously the place was busy and their was an extended family in one part of the pub with probably about 6 children in total. (Thankfully we were well away from them). The parents were oblivious to their children running around and one youngster collided with a waitress causing her to drop, thankfully, empty plates.

Both my children did not move between courses, knowing that when they have a meal they sit at the table. At the end of the meal the manager came over, commented on our childrens behaviour and even deducted one child's meal from our bill because they had been so well behaved! But what does it say about standards, that he thought to reward us for behaviour that should be the norm. :D
    Forum Member
    Wasn't her B&B also untraceable - no name, no website? She'd been a principal at Lucy Clayton, and used to pop up with Paul Burrell and other illustrious folk. The phrase "opening of an envelope springs to mind.

I don't know if it was untraceable Bellamy but at the back of my mind I have a feeling it was somewhere like Holland Park, a very expensive area of London, and in my mind the only way she could hang on to her house was to take in paying guests. Nothing wrong with that, I'd do the same but I'd make the business a pleasure, not a chore.
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I don't know if it was untraceable Bellamy but at the back of my mind I have a feeling it was somewhere like Holland Park, a very expensive area of London, and in my mind the only way she could hang on to her house was to take in paying guests. Nothing wrong with that, I'd do the same but I'd make the business a pleasure, not a chore.

Ah, right. She could literally have been Jean Broke Smith then. I wondered how she acquired guests. Maybe a discreet ad. in The Lady.
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    We went to a local pub for a Christmas Day dinner many years ago when our children were about 6 and 4. Obviously the place was busy and their was an extended family in one part of the pub with probably about 6 children in total. (Thankfully we were well away from them). The parents were oblivious to their children running around and one youngster collided with a waitress causing her to drop, thankfully, empty plates.

Both my children did not move between courses, knowing that when they have a meal they sit at the table. At the end of the meal the manager came over, commented on our childrens behaviour and even deducted one child's meal from our bill because they had been so well behaved! But what does it say about standards, that he thought to reward us for behaviour that should be the norm. :D

Says it all really, doesn't it?
    Forum Member
    Ah, right. She could literally have been Jean Broke Smith then. I wondered how she acquired guests. Maybe a discreet ad. in The Lady.

Or here:

http://www.londonbb.com/cata.html

I saved that link because a lot of those places look like a good alternative to hotels in central London.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I've just read them both, and, on the face of it, the manager sounds as if he's got a point. They've also got overwhelmingly good reviews. People can sometimes be very blinkered over how their children behave.

Indeed - I don't like the expression 'kids being kids', as if being a child means you should automatically be given free reign to run around like a lunatic. I think 'allowing kids to be kids' is basically a euphemism for 'I can't bothered to exert any control over my offspring'. The poster's comment that 'young children are going to wander up the steps - and the room was empty anyway' is even more worrying - he's basically admitting that he's happy for his young children to disappear off into unsupervised and potentially hazardous areas.
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with 4iB. Oh dear, £6.20 was quite cruel, even with a stained mattress and a filthy room that was a low blow.

For the sack of fairness, I think if someone does not stay then any payments from the ones that leave should be void and the percentage should be calculated for the remaining guests.

I feel for V&S this programme and their actions have done them more harm than good.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    bingoes wrote: »
    Just caught up with 4iB. Oh dear, £6.20 was quite cruel, even with a stained mattress and a filthy room that was a low blow.

For the sack of fairness, I think if someone does not stay then any payments from the ones that leave should be void and the percentage should be calculated for the remaining guests.

I feel for V&S this programme and their actions have done them more harm than good.

Exactly - it did seem grossly unfair that they still had a say in the scoring, and the £6.20 was more than insulting. However, the losers here will be V&S I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.