Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rhj12
    The Welsh chefs prepare their main course, but will any of them impress veteran Jeremy Lee enough to give them a top score? Richard Davies's dish is simply called A Tasting of Pork, Mary Ann Gilchrist's Three's a Crowd doesn't give much away, while Luke Thomas's dish is called Beef, Bone Marrow and Watercress

Comedy accoutrements to be revealed.

I think, too, that Mary Ann is hopelessly out of her depth - but as it's now series 8 and she must have known the score, I can only assume she thought that it would be worth it to be on the tele? :confused:
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rhj12

Comedy accoutrements to be revealed.

I think, too, that Mary Ann is hopelessly out of her depth - but as it's now series 8 and she must have known the score, I can only assume she thought that it would be worth it to be on the tele? :confused:

Whatever Mary Ann serves I'm willing to beat it ends up looking like a splodge on a plate, she's good at that
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    It usually is but not when it's just a load of nasty, personal comments like the ones I've uneasily read about Mary Ann. Come on people, it's a cooking competition, not a beauty pageant.

I don't care that she's not young, that she's not pretty - I'm not.
    I too have thin hair like hers that 10 minutes in a steamy kitchen claps to my head - but I'd wear a cap therefore, because what Looks like lank, greasy hair Looks unclean, whether or not it is.
    Similarly, the fresh scab on her chin looks unclean - a dab of concealer would deal with that.

Lots of us are cursed with lanky hair; she may have some sad condition that makes her skin what it is and we should admire her courage etc etc - but we don't know that, and what comes over is unclean, which is not a look you want in your chef.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! :eek:

It's pure comedy gold! Just look at all the fun we're having on here! It would be a bit dull if it was just a case of "Oh, you liked the beef? I preferred the look of the lamb, but they were all excellent dishes. I wonder what they'll cook tomorrow?"

We've got turds, farting puddings, hilarious maritime disasters, rib-tickling crockery & table-cloths, side-splitting toothbrushes ... and now a mad woman! It's like Monty Python!

Remind me again - whose/what was the farting pudding??
    Forum Member
    Remind me again - whose/what was the farting pudding??

The 'volcano' from the comedy Titanic genius chef :)
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member

I need the recipe for a farting pudding. Kids and OH would love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, ok, thanks :D

It DID bubble a bit :D:D

Volcano was a slight exaggeration though - more like a damp squid :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I need the recipe for a farting pudding. Kids and OH would love it.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/greatbritishmenu/raymcardle-week6-GBM.pdf

Ask and you shall received (on last page) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    No! :eek:

It's pure comedy gold! Just look at all the fun we're having on here! It would be a bit dull if it was just a case of "Oh, you liked the beef? I preferred the look of the lamb, but they were all excellent dishes. I wonder what they'll cook tomorrow?"

We've got turds, farting puddings, hilarious maritime disasters, rib-tickling crockery & table-cloths, side-splitting toothbrushes ... and now a mad woman! It's like Monty Python!

One can only hope that a large foot will drop from the Heavens and squash them all with a loud raspberry noise.

Only redeeming feature in this week's programmes is the lovely Jeremy who smiles kindly down on them with infinite patience. Marcus would have slammed them into the deep-fat fryer and stormed out muttering about professional integrity by the middle of day 1.

I'm finding Yung Gun Luke a tad irksome - the folly of YOOF, I guess. ****-Ash Lil makes me cringe. Nowt to do with appearance (lots of male chefs look just as rough at times and get little or no criticism) but her attitude just grates. She went in with this "I'm self taught and who wants to make an issue of it, eh?" approach and it just seems as if she is wearing this as a massive chip on her shoulder. :o

Hmmmm.... Chip on the Shoulder..... A turned potato, deep fried to a golden brown and served nestling on a bed of shoulder of Welsh lamb with a minted-pea mousse and, to meet the brief in a visual way, a single red tomato balanced on the top. No sauce, just a fizzy drinks bottle with a frothy brown liquid and a straw.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member

Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Mary Ann serves I'm willing to beat it ends up looking like a splodge on a plate, she's good at that

To be honest over all the 8 series I can count on one hand the number of Chefs that have left me cold. Most of them, I've only really seen on GBM so they all start from the same place. There's my Top Tier of MyMarcus, Atul, Glynn, Jason, Nigel, Lisa ... and a number of others that I end up really taking to and would go out of my way to eat at their places. Then there are people <side eye to Richard Corrigan and Steven Terry> that over familiarity can lead to a bit of exaspiration with but would still give their food a go, and others that while not fussed about wouldn't turn a plate of food down from.

Mary Ann comes across as a blend of defensive and confident, which never works well on the tele box, but also her food isn't all that either. I can honestly say after seeing her and her work the last 2 days, I wouldn't be rushing to book a table. Which probably isn't what she entered for. :cool:

Little Cheflette Luke, from reading about, seems to be regarded as a bit of a cheffy protege but really just seems to have fallen in the trap a lot of first timers to the competition do of 'what techniques can I use ... and then add one. How many ingredients can I get in ... and then add a couple more'.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It worries me that one of these Welsh chefs will get through to compete in the final, but Chris Fearne's Cowboy Pie will not have a chance. When it clearly was proper inspirational.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at Mary's restaurant menu online, she's basically cooking what's on there this week.
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a walk in the park for Richard. Did they deliberately choose the other two chefs so that he could sail through to the finals, having failed twice?
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Looking at Mary Anne's restaurant menu, there's a lot of food I'd love.

I'd have Pea mousse and Carmarthen ham.
    Slow cooked chinese Pork.
    Icecream with oranges

The prices are very good and hurrah! The mains come with veg. rather than having to order everything as sides.

Still, and it recently isn't whether she's pretty or not, who cares?, I'd be worried about finding hair and skin in the dishes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »

Icecream with oranges

The prices are very good and hurrah! The mains come with veg. rather than having to order everything as sides.

Still, and it recently isn't whether she's pretty or not, who cares?, I'd be worried about finding hair and skin in the dishes.

You could try and find out what day she is not working and go then :D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a walk in the park for Richard. Did they deliberately choose the other two chefs so that he could sail through to the finals, having failed twice?
    That's what the wife and I decided last night, it's like a sympathy line up.

Never in the field of the Great British Menu have so many missed the brief by so far.

It's like chef's don't understand the word "comedy", most don't seem to have watched a single sitcom ever given the huge range of historically funny dishes (as shown by previous posters). They inhabit a world where pineapples, nan's china, red plates and tin cans are the peak of comedy genius.

(Although oddly a large number do seem to be aware of "Why did the chicken cross the road")
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »

Icecream with oranges
    Given the comments above, I think you may of just given away her next two dishes. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    That's what the wife and I decided last night, it's like a sympathy line up.

Never in the field of the Great British Menu have so many missed the brief by so far.

It's like chef's don't understand the word "comedy", most don't seem to have watched a single sitcom ever given the huge range of historically funny dishes (as shown by previous posters). They inhabit a world where pineapples, nan's china, red plates and tin cans are the peak of comedy genius.

(Although oddly a large number do seem to be aware of "Why did the chicken cross the road")

Or be pondering, which came first - the chicken or the egg :cool:

At the start of the programme, hearing the brief - whoda thought that Marcus would turn out to be the one with the best grasp of the concept and humour :D :eek: :D
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only dish that is in the finals that I can remember making me laugh (as opposed to just smiling) was Michael's "Why did the chicken cross the road" starter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I cannot believe that they thought she would be appropriate for the comp.

Am I the only one that took for granted that she was put there for comic effect given that it was comic relief the other day? When they introduced her in her kitchen serving grubs I instantly thought "this must be a joke, GBM sticking to the brief themselves". But It seems like it is only me, and they haven't "revealed" the joke so I am seriously starting to consider that they did it at face value, which it really is puzzling.

Did anyone else think like me? It just seems way too odd to invite a not-classically trained, not acclaimed chef. The rest of them have some caliber, invinting to the competition to any pub chef is not really what the program is about and just seems an attempt to irony here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    If my TV mag is to be believed, it looks as though the chefs are allowed to change a course, so maybe we'll get some funnier options next week.
    One of the new fish dishes is called the Cod Father.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zydecocat wrote: »
    If my TV mag is to be believed, it looks as though the chefs are allowed to change a course, so maybe we'll get some funnier options next week.
    One of the new fish dishes is called the Cod Father.

Yeah, they've been allowed to completely change one course and tinker another round the edges for a couple of years now.

Don't think a completely re-done course has made it to the banquet yet, though? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just caught up on this week so far and have to agree its got to be one of the poorest weeks in GBM history :o

Have to also say though that page 63 of this thread had me literally lolling heartily, so all is not lost.
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    Yeah, they've been allowed to completely change one course and tinker another round the edges for a couple of years now.

Don't think a completely re-done course has made it to the banquet yet, though? :confused:

If we don't get a rerun of the comedy Titanic I shall sulk big time, I'm just waiting for the other chefs' reactions to it (as sadly they'll never see that other classic 'dog turd on a plate' :( )