Got a new job and don't have time to sign off

CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was offered a new job with immediate start. I started Monday and work 9-6 Mon-Fri, therefore I don't have time to sign off. I need to sign off asap so I can start claiming working tax credits.

Any advice on what I could/should do would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call them, or send an email. Just make sure you have proof of your efforts to notify them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be able to sign off by phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only information I can find online is this

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/signing-off-jsa.pdf

Maybe you should contact the Jobcentre and explain your circumstances.The details can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lines are open 9-5 and I work 9-6. I get breaks but not enough time to get to a landline and make the call

You'd think they'd have better times for those in my situation
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • deb813deb813 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Speak to your manager and explain. Surely they will understand??!!
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    Lines are open 9-5 and I work 9-6. I get breaks but not enough time to get to a landline and make the call

You can do it by post. There should be a form in your ES40.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Working 9-6 you're entitled to an uninterrupted 20 minute break - is this not long enough to phone the job centre?

Or ask your new employer if you can have a couple of hours off one morning to sign off at the job centre, and place your claim for working tax credits.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signing off by phone took my husband about 5mins. If you are working 9 - 6 you should get a 30min unpaid break and a 15 min break?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Working 9-6 you're entitled to an uninterrupted 20 minute break - is this not long enough to phone the job centre?

Or ask your new employer if you can have a couple of hours off one morning to sign off at the job centre, and place your claim for working tax credits.

Have you ever phoned the Jobcentre?

You're usually on hold for at least 30 minutes listening to classical music.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how you need to sign off because you want to claim something else, not because you're illegally claiming JSA!

Anyway, just write to them.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually have an option to post, it's what a lot did when I worked there.
  • Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the little booklet the JC gave me there was a number for the advisor and the JC.. I called that and was able to sign off. Call lasted just a few minutes. Simples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I love how you need to sign off because you want to claim something else, not because you're illegally claiming JSA!

How much do you love it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been given a simple way to contact them, so I will be giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks anyway.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much do you love it?

Just a wee bit
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you didn't get chance to ring, just fill in your signing book and either post it or pop it through their letterbox. Job done.

Congratulations on the new job btw
  • Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother phoning them up. Waste of time.

Write them a letter saying your starting work stating the date and download a tax credit form from HMRC website. Send them off when you finish work.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

Back when I got JSA, I had two weeks free before I started my new job. The attitude of the job centre was that I should continue to claim searching for temporary work for the two weeks that I was still unemployed. Since I had no need for it, I told them I wouldn't be attending the meeting I was due at the next day, and that I'd drop in my jobsearch forms and sign offwhen I was conveniently nearby (8 days later, as I lived remotely at the time, and didn't have my own transport). I did say to them however that they were welcome to whack any sanctions they liked upon me for this.

For this, they docked me a whole £5.

It sounds like this job has started very suddenly, and if you're receiving working tax credits then it's a very insubstantial wage being earned.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I signed off I told them at my usual appointment (I accepted the offer the day before the shceduled sign-on appointment) my advisor was absolutely not interested and gave me a phone number to ring. I rang them on the phones in the job center and the lady who answered asked why I was calling from an internal phone, turns out she was only upstairs so she came down and gave my advisor a bollocking then and there before doing the paperwork with me, he could have done the form himself or at very least phoned this girl from his desk and handed me over.

She put my JSA end date as my job start date, even though I was no longer seeking work (too busy finding somewhere else to live, new job needed a move!)