We are dangerously conditioned to blow on fire to put it out

2»

Comments

• Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    surely, they do "the combustion triangle" in schools? and when did the boy scouts stop camping?

"Boy" Scouts (they stopped being Boy Scouts years ago!) still go camping - as do Brownies and Guides, and campfires are a huge part of both organisations.

However, I know so many Guides (girls aged 10-14) who are scared of matches because they're not been taught how to use them safely, same with lighting and using candles.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is the an oral sex undertone running brought this thread?
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never blow to put fire out. I always chuck petrol on it.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    surely, they do "the combustion triangle" in schools? and when did the boy scouts stop camping?

Never heard of that myself. What is the combustion triangle?
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SequShor wrote: »
    I just had what would have been a small kitchen fire turn into a potentially much more dangerous situation because my first instinct to extinguish the fire on the piece of kitchen paper that I had accidentally set fire to was to blow on it.

I blew on it, and It then separated into multiple pieces of kitchen paper that were all separately on fire. I panicked, but managed to put all the individual fires out.

Once everything was safe, I asked myself why on earth I thought it was a good idea to blow on a piece of kitchen paper that was on fire, and then it dawned on me.

We are conditioned from our very first birthday, that fires can be put out by blowing on them.

I wasn't conditioned to blow on a fire to put it out, A candle or a Match yes, But never a fire.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose this is some kind of clever metaphor for certain political situations?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If something on your house goes on fire, cover it with a damp cloth unless it is electrical. Didn't the fire brigade come to your school to teach you this OP?