Options

Will MAdonna go to no 1 with Living FOr Love this week?

Comments

• Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Going on the Brits was not, in my opinion, something she should have done. The British record industry are interested in making money from their artists and as such several UK artists who performed have had chart re-entries this week. She should have gone on Saturday Night Takeaway, or The Graham Norton Show where more of her fans are likely to be tuning in. The Brits had a 54% 16-34 audience, and Sam Smith is where their loyalties lie.

I'm not being ageist, but Madonna should be trying to appeal to people who naturally follow her due to age and loyalties. Aiming for a fickle younger audience was a mistake. I am going to be honest - I never wanted her to go on the Brits. The Brits are generally shit and going on The One Show would probably have been more beneficial.

Aren't you the poster who wrote to their local MP claiming that Radio 1 should have play listed the song - and were being ageist in not doing so.

Considering Radio 1 is also aimed at the same age bracket as The Brits, I'm confused by your chance in stance.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie and Madonna fans should work together and fight ageism! Don't get this fan war thing, and yeah its a bit petty to gloat about number 12 being better than 26. Like seriously does it really matter if you enjoy the album?
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's no use protesting that the chart positions don't matter for acts like Madonna & Kylie, (those protests are sounding hollow anyway) - the charts is all they are. Acts that are built on media hype and creating a controversy at every turn are all about the returns, Gaga, Madonna, Miley doodah etc. They aren't here to be obscure and interesting

The charts are irrelevant to those artists who don't play that game, but those who do are pointless without chart hits and huge sales figures
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I always said. As long as Rebel Hearts hits number 1 and makes Madonna the only artist to have more number 1 albums than anyone else in chart history I'm ok with where her singles go. I want her to take that title and I hope she does.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is that Madonna fans used to collect her singles on CD. This was a huge deal for many of her fans. As soon as she stopped doing this and went to downloads only that is when her singles stopped charting high. Its not coincidence.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Aren't you the poster who wrote to their local MP claiming that Radio 1 should have play listed the song - and were being ageist in not doing so.

Considering Radio 1 is also aimed at the same age bracket as The Brits, I'm confused by your chance in stance.

Radio 1 gets a larger share of the available listening audience daily compared to The Brits one off surge. I did say I was going to write to my MP. I clearly didn't. People say and do all sorts of things when their passion about something intensifies. I still think Radio 1 is sexist. They play Sam Smith, they play George Ezra and Ed Sheeran. This music is way more suited to Radio 2 than Living For Love and many of Robbie Williams' songs, yet they continue to play the youngest artists.

Incidentally, you said in an earlier post that I was 50 and unemployed. Neither is true. I have three jobs and I'm in my 40's.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's no use protesting that the chart positions don't matter for acts like Madonna & Kylie, (those protests are sounding hollow anyway) - the charts is all they are. Acts that are built on media hype and creating a controversy at every turn are all about the returns, Gaga, Madonna, Miley doodah etc. They aren't here to be obscure and interesting

The charts are irrelevant to those artists who don't play that game, but those who do are pointless without chart hits and huge sales figures

Madonna no longer needs the charts, and hasn't for some time....her albums will always sell well, and her tours will be sell out...she will continue to get record deals regardless of how things chart, and have no need to rely on them....you always have to take into account she has a hugh fanbase.

Kylie isn't in the same league as Madonna globally so it will be harder for her, but I still think she would be able to get record deals.

Gaga will do her own thing regardless if her music charts or not.

Miley you criticise, but when the pop scene dries up, she could probably go back to country music and be quite successful...country has a big following.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't quite make it then, lol.

This month Rebel Heart will be bundled with concert tickets in the same way MDNA was in 2012 except it won't just be for the first week but also the second and I think the third. I guess her record label want some longevity this time instead of another colossal drop in the second week. It seems that Madonna's only chance at longevity nowadays is by using a bundle. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, a lot of artists do the same thing, but I wish Madonna fans would admit that it does boost sales. I doubt MDNA would have obtained a gold certification without using a bundle. Over half of its first week sales were because of it. It's strange that Barbra Streisand can still sell nearly a million copies of an album in the US alone (and in six months), but Madonna hasn't had a platinum album there in 10 years. Maybe she should ask Barbra for tips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    Didn't quite make it then, lol.

This month Rebel Heart will be bundled with concert tickets in the same way MDNA was in 2012 except it won't just be for the first week but also the second and I think the third. I guess her record label want some longevity this time instead of another colossal drop in the second week. It seems that Madonna's only chance at longevity nowadays is by using a bundle. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, a lot of artists do the same thing, but I wish Madonna fans would admit that it does boost sales. I doubt MDNA would have obtained a gold certification without using a bundle. Over half of its first week sales were because of it. It's strange that Barbra Streisand can still sell nearly a million copies of an album in the US alone (and in six months), but Madonna hasn't had a platinum album there in 10 years. Maybe she should ask Barbra for tips.
    Where has anyone said it hasn't?

I'm starting to suspected quite a few on here are using more than one account. I'm getting tired of the same repetitive attacks on Madonna fans which sound word for word the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has anyone said it hasn't?

I'm starting to suspected quite a few on here are using more than one account. I'm getting tired of the same repetitive attacks on Madonna fans which sound word for word the same.

Stay in the appreciation forum then....those that hate don't bother posting in that thread. It is a good laugh to read at times though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Stay in the appreciation forum then....those that hate don't bother posting in that thread. It is a good laugh to read at times though.

Funny how another poster also said that word for word the other day as well.
  • Options
    Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I was gonna cancel did not fail to chart. It went in at #59. To compare, Girl gone wild the 2nd single off of MDNA (like IWGC was the 2nd single off of Kiss Me Once) peaked at #73. Both major flops.

Turn up the radio, Madonna's last pre-LFL single peaked at #175.

You know what surprised me when I was watching a few of her videos on YouTube yesterday - Turn Up The Radio has over 8m views & Girl Gone Wild has over 30m. That's a lot of views for an artist 30 years into her career who some have written off as irrelevant & a flop. It's a shame those views don't translate into sales.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Feline77 wrote: »
    You know what surprised me when I was watching a few of her videos on YouTube yesterday - Turn Up The Radio has over 8m views & Girl Gone Wild has over 30m. That's a lot of views for an artist 30 years into her career who some have written off as irrelevant & a flop. It's a shame those views don't translate into sales.

Girl Gone Wild is such an amazing song and video, god knows what happened there commercially.

On a side note i am far from a stan for Madonna as i have not liked any of her previous albums apart from the singles. However Rebel Heart is sounding just amazing, cant wait for its release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how another poster also said that word for word the other day as well.

Just goes to show other posters share the same views, then again I did say the other day that if you don't like the criticism Madonna or her fans get, stick to the appreciation thread that is why it is there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just goes to show other posters share the same views, then again I did say the other day that if you don't like the criticism Madonna or her fans get, stick to the appreciation thread that is why it is there.

Out oif interest, if Madonna bothers you so much, why do you enjoy talking about her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out oif interest, if Madonna bothers you so much, why do you enjoy talking about her?

Madonna doesn't bother me, I don't mind a bit of Madge...especially Like a Prayer and Ray of Light....not of the opinion she is wonderful and everything she does is fantastic though.

Don't understand the obsession with chart position, that should be for the likes of Rihanna fans not Madonna fans...over 30 years in music, millions of records sold worldwide, tours that sell out, charts really should be irrelevant.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it still completely failed to chart. Are you saying all Kylie fans brought it already? where did the album itself get to?

No, all I'm saying is that your post was factually incorrect. I don't really care about either of them.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Living for Love will probably make top ten next week as it only had tri days of sales!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is nothing wrong with criticism about Madonna. I just don't like people blatantly using multiple accounts to trash Madonna's fans here on DS- I'm not the only person who has noticed this, two others think the same thing. Seems you are obsessed by us to the point you actually stalk what we say.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with criticism about Madonna. I just don't like people blatantly using multiple accounts to trash Madonna's fans here on DS- I'm not the only person who has noticed this, two others think the same thing. Seems you are obsessed by us to the point you actually stalk what we say.

i presume you think i'm the other poster, but if you look outside of the music forums you will see we disagree on certain topics relating to HR and the sunday trading laws for example. you will see similar passionate discussion as you do here, but complete disagreement on many points

i think having two accounts isn't allowed, so if you suspect someone of having two accounts, use the report function and report both accounts seperately to mods, as mods should be able to see the IP addresses used, plus probably the email addresses etc, and by doing that they will be able to either see automatically if the same IP is shared or get an indication

personally i've only had the one account here, there is no need to have a second one. as anyone can see from my posts i can put my point across adequately and stand by what i saw with facts

btw dearmrman is the name of a prince song, and many prince fans often listen to a wide variety of other types of music, and also enjoy madonna and michael jackson music, at least the best of their music, which is typically the 80s stuff with the exception of some of the early 90s stuff. similarly some may say princes best stuff was the 80s and early 90s and many fans aren't that impressed with the new stuff, but the won't pretend they like something they don't and be quite vocal about it, the opposite of the typical behavoir noticed by fans of madonna and michael jackson who comment like the sun shines out their arses. if prince makes a dick of himself on telly, the fans won't let him forget about it. take the grammys and many people commenting about how he gets a standing ovation just by turning up, but amongst fans he gets a complete slagging for looking like a golden girl that's been tango'd (due to the orange outfit). some people just call it as it is, no matter who the person is. whilst some may view it as negative, prince fans comments are usually refreshing in that they don't fawn over him for every little thing and instead say it straight as they think it. so if the new song is shit they won't hold back. and likewise do the same if it comes to any other artist. and that's typically how most people work. call a spade a spade. it's typically the over enthusiastic fans who are blinded by what the see and hear, and quite often as this forum demonstrates on a regular basis, those fans are very unfamiliar with the history of music and have no idea how much has been done before so think the artist they like is the first or best to do something when it's usually been done decades before

two people thinking the same thing!!! it's a conspiracy! call the law!
  • Options
    JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Maybe Ghosttown will have better luck. It's getting a great reception from people. It's also the sort of song Radio 2 will play.

Unlike Madonna, Kylie’s never been a consistent album seller outside of the UK and Australia. A Kylie album that sells two million copies worldwide is good for her. A Madonna album that sells two million copies worldwide is considered a disappointment. Plus, for 95% of her career, Kylie hasn’t had the US market, the biggest in the world, on her side. Madonna’s last album sold over 500k in the US, a good portion of MDNA’s total sales. Other than her debut album and Fever, Kylie's never had a sales boost from the US, something which Madonna can always rely on. Sure, Kiss Me Once didn't sell really well in a lot of countries, but it's not the first Kylie album that's sold under a million copies worldwide. Let's Get to It and Impossible Princess both did, and they never ended up career.

One thing I've always admired about Kylie is that she doesn't place a lot of importance on sales and chart positions. She doesn't give up when an album doesn't sell well or when a single doesn't chart as high as expected. I admire her for not relying on gimmicks to sell her music like Lady Gaga has (99 cent Amazon deal). Madonna obviously does care about sales otherwise she wouldn't have a bundle deal planned for all of March to give her longevity in the top 10 on the Billboard 200.

I can’t speak for other people in this thread, but I’m not bitter. “Bitter much?” is such a lame response. Had Kylie’s career ended in the early 1990s like Paula Abdul’s then I’d probably be bitter but it didn’t. Kylie has her career and Madonna has hers. They've both lasted in a very fickle industry. I'm looking forward to the Rebel Heart tour.
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The live performance of Ghosttown is amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i presume you think i'm the other poster, but if you look outside of the music forums you will see we disagree on certain topics relating to HR and the sunday trading laws for example. you will see similar passionate discussion as you do here, but complete disagreement on many points

i think having two accounts isn't allowed, so if you suspect someone of having two accounts, use the report function and report both accounts seperately to mods, as mods should be able to see the IP addresses used, plus probably the email addresses etc, and by doing that they will be able to either see automatically if the same IP is shared or get an indication

personally i've only had the one account here, there is no need to have a second one. as anyone can see from my posts i can put my point across adequately and stand by what i saw with facts

btw dearmrman is the name of a prince song, and many prince fans often listen to a wide variety of other types of music, and also enjoy madonna and michael jackson music, at least the best of their music, which is typically the 80s stuff with the exception of some of the early 90s stuff. similarly some may say princes best stuff was the 80s and early 90s and many fans aren't that impressed with the new stuff, but the won't pretend they like something they don't and be quite vocal about it, the opposite of the typical behavoir noticed by fans of madonna and michael jackson who comment like the sun shines out their arses. if prince makes a dick of himself on telly, the fans won't let him forget about it. take the grammys and many people commenting about how he gets a standing ovation just by turning up, but amongst fans he gets a complete slagging for looking like a golden girl that's been tango'd (due to the orange outfit). some people just call it as it is, no matter who the person is. whilst some may view it as negative, prince fans comments are usually refreshing in that they don't fawn over him for every little thing and instead say it straight as they think it. so if the new song is shit they won't hold back. and likewise do the same if it comes to any other artist. and that's typically how most people work. call a spade a spade. it's typically the over enthusiastic fans who are blinded by what the see and hear, and quite often as this forum demonstrates on a regular basis, those fans are very unfamiliar with the history of music and have no idea how much has been done before so think the artist they like is the first or best to do something when it's usually been done decades before

two people thinking the same thing!!! it's a conspiracy! call the law!

I'm not getting into a stan war with you. I just said what I feel is going on.

There are a few posters here that insist on branding Madonna fans on DS all the names under the sun yet from what I can tell they all seem like a good bunch of people so its totally uncalled for and its making all this a rather unpleasant experience.

And just to point this out. You blast Madonna and Michael Jackson fans in this post but then go on a love note about Prince and how amazing he and his fans are. You even call Prince fans more intelligent than Madonna fans. I mean irony much!! If I thought you and dearmrman, which yes is a Prince song title, were the same its only because Prince fans would seem to be of the opinion they are better than everyone else! I mean that is basically what you are saying isn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The live performance of Ghosttown is amazing.

Interesting to see it already outperforming L4L on French iTunes by at least 10 spots currently.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting into a stan war with you. I just said what I feel is going on.

There are a few posters here that insist on branding Madonna fans on DS all the names under the sun yet from what I can tell they all seem like a good bunch of people so its totally uncalled for and its making all this a rather unpleasant experience.

And just to point this out. You blast Madonna and Michael Jackson fans in this post but then go on a love note about Prince and how amazing he and his fans are. You even call Prince fans more intelligent than Madonna fans. I mean irony much!! If I thought you and dearmrman, which yes is a Prince song title, were the same its only because Prince fans would seem to be of the opinion they are better than everyone else! I mean that is basically what you are saying isn't it? :confused:

L4L, I wouldn't bother communicating with Unique. He/she has such a high opinion of himself that it is impossible to debate or discuss things with. He actually compared Jools Hollands shows to a set up of a performance in a lottery style show by saying that they have loads of artists ready to perform so don't use backing tracks. Of course they do, it's a blinking music show. Backing tracks are used by the BBC for all appearances on shows where artists just appear as guests. Unless the show is a special edition given over to one guest. i have given up debating with him because it is tiresome and unachieving. He fails to see anyone elses viewpoint and virtually disagrees with everything and everyone. As for Prince fans, it is a bit daft to suggest that they are vocal regarding what Prince does either positively or negatively, but as he's 56 now (oh, my goodness, the same age as a certain other artist), he doesn't get cries from other fans and the media in general, to stop being weird, he's way too old! He's an old man! Madonna fans were very vocal making their disappointments known about how her music was inferior on Hard Candy and MDNA. But of course, all us Madonna fans are thick as shit and only play Madonna records and nothing else because we can't figure out who anyone else is can we? :D
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He actually compared Jools Hollands shows to a set up of a performance in a lottery style show by saying that they have loads of artists ready to perform so don't use backing tracks. Of course they do, it's a blinking music show.

I was in the audience when Pearl Jam played on Jools, there certainly weren't any backing tracks on their performance. The band did an extended impromptu jam when playing 'Alive' and Ed went and grabbed Corrie Bailey Rae for a dance (Whatever happened to her?). Absolutely no backing tracks.