Cameron up for a 7 way?

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron thinks they are a waste of time and should be out on.the streets campaigning. The debates end up with mentioning stupid things like last time money being wasted on police cars and not getting down to the real issue. I suppose it's all and nothing people will vote who they won't too.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Cameron thinks they are a waste of time and should be out on.the streets campaigning. The debates end up with mentioning stupid things like last time money being wasted on police cars and not getting down to the real issue. I suppose it's all and nothing people will vote who they won't too.

Only problem I have right now is the complete double standards used in the Media in 2010 it became not only the lead story on BBC/SKY but they reported on it for upto 10 mins each hour Real pressure.

The way its being reported now is just utterly shocking and shows just how broken the media is. Whilst agendas Change the fact these debates were seen as ground breaking seems all forgotten now.
    Cameron was first in line when it appeared Brown was backing off. Some of his comments were utterly horrendous at the time.

He cant on one hand call Miliband a terrible leader and then do a blatant retreat like this and the media if they allow this are setting a very dangerous example on how much power a PM can have over the media
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Parties keep saying how they want to go out and reach as many people as possible, soon as such an opportunity comes along, Cameron decides to start shaking in his boots. Although the debates are great, if you think they add nothing then that's fine, don't watch them.

Here's why I think they work. For what feels like decades, it was all Labour v Conservatives. You may not like them but in 2010, the debates changed something and we ended up with the Lib Dems in as well. Because of that, we now have various parties coming into the mix. Who knows what the debates will lead to this time but last time they stopped it being the usual Red v Blue option.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfft some ******* leader cameron is, only ONE debate and that's the 7debate! so no head to head then with the other leader of the british main parties .....

all that spweing about leadership at PMQs proves what a COWARD he really is!

you really want to vote for someone like THAT people?????

no wonder britain is a JOKE COUNTRY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    pfft some ******* leader cameron is, only ONE debate and that's the 7debate! so no head to head then with the other leader of the british main parties .....

all that spweing about leadership at PMQs proves what a COWARD he really is!

you really want to vote for someone like THAT people?????

no wonder britain is a JOKE COUNTRY

The media really do love him (not just sky) something very iffy going on in General
    the stance they are all taking is completely different than 2010. Okay everyone knew Brown was finished and maybe they took some perverse pleasure in making sure they got a blow onto his final few days In Office.

But tonight they seem terrified of even suggesting the debates will carry on with or without him. Loads tuned in for the Clegg Farage debates. If they back down over this issue now I truly cant see how its going to be classed as a Free media.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Embarrassing for Cameron!! Refusing to do any debates would've been better than just saying he'll do the 7 way. Makes it plain as day that he's afraid of Miliband!
  • RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I'm one of those people who prefers Cameron to his party, and even If I didn't agree with his policies always thought he came across quite statesmanlike, but his whole approach to these tv debates has been absolutely shameful.

If the debate finally happens I hope the others gang up on him and ram home to the viewers how much Cameron tried to weasel out of it.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the broadcasters should just do them without the fool idiot cameron.

last election this b*****y fool wanted them, now the * fool is trying to get out of them.
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Cameron you wimp!. I thought he'd jump at the chance to go against Miliband, clearly not. Stick an empty chair in there then.

Perhaps first debate - all 7
    Second debate - Labour, UKIP, SNP, Lib Dems
    Third Debate - Labour, UKIP, Lib Dems

Final debate just because they all seem to have people standing in large parts across the country. Could be interesting without Cameron (did I mention Wimp?)

Like that idea a lot. :) They should totally do something like that now. And I hope Cameron gets torn apart in his absence with no ability to defend himself!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the broadcasters should just do them without the fool idiot cameron.

last election this b*****y fool wanted them, now the * fool is trying to get out of them.

Agree completely with all the recent posts.
    Sorry the media needs to find its balls now the Farage/Clegg debate proved just as popular. This is number 10 clearly trying to tell the media without us you have no show
    if they do allow this farce and Cameron to dictate terms of what can go ahead what an utter joke the media has become
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the broadcasters finally show some backbone and tell Cameron where to go don't the Tories still have to be represented somehow even if Cameron refuses to turn up?
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    If the broadcasters finally show some backbone and tell Cameron where to go don't the Tories still have to be represented somehow even if Cameron refuses to turn up?

Cardboard cutout of Dave? ;-)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"representing the conservatives ..... IAN DUNCAN SMITH!"
    ^_^

oh if only we have ministerial debates too, his would be a fun one
  • TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,788
    Forum Member

Would they be allowed to if no-one from the Conservatives "turned up"

Ofcom rules:
    6.2 Due weight must be given to the coverage of major parties during the election period. Broadcasters must also consider giving appropriate coverage to other parties and independent candidates with significant views and perspectives.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/
    Forum Member
    Would they be allowed to if no-one from the Conservatives "turned up"

Ofcom rules:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/

Wouldn't Cameron's proposed date be before the election period? :mad:
  • TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,788
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Wouldn't Cameron's proposed date be before the election period? :mad:

Indeed it would be. It would be very interesting if one of the broadcasters tried to "call his bluff". The only one that I could see trying it would be Channel 4.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Only problem I have right now is the complete double standards used in the Media in 2010 it became not only the lead story on BBC/SKY but they reported on it for upto 10 mins each hour Real pressure.

The way its being reported now is just utterly shocking and shows just how broken the media is. Whilst agendas Change the fact these debates were seen as ground breaking seems all forgotten now.
    Cameron was first in line when it appeared Brown was backing off. Some of his comments were utterly horrendous at the time.

He cant on one hand call Miliband a terrible leader and then do a blatant retreat like this and the media if they allow this are setting a very dangerous example on how much power a PM can have over the media

http://labourlist.org/2015/01/10-times-david-cameron-praised-tv-debates/
    10 times David Cameron praised TV debates

but none of that matters now, and the only thing it proves is what lots of us already knew, Cameron's word is worthless.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't who has made the biggest fool of themselves, Cameron or the broadcasters. Of course this started with the suggestion that UKIP should be included, the other parties and their media supporters are running scared of them.

This election isn't about the two main parties, neither are going to get a landslide victory, it is about who they are going to have to work with. Arrogant, pro euro, power hungry Clegg has out stayed his welcome and his treachery will become more obvious, and UKIP are scoring higher in the polls than any of the others.

If Cameron doesn't have the confidence to defend his track record, how does he expect anyone else to. Miliband helped bankrupt the country, and the vision of Ed Balls being in charge of public money is terrifying.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »
    This election isn't about the two main parties, neither are going to get a landslide victory, it is about who they are going to have to work with. Arrogant, pro euro, power hungry Clegg has out stayed his welcome

Is Nick any more "arrogant, pro euro, power hungry" than Ed or Dave? Wouldn't have thought so. Anyway, being "power hungry" is an essential part of being a politician. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish the TV & radio companies would tell Cameron to go & do the long jump & just go ahead with the debates.

They should invite another senior Conservative (or maybe Nick Clegg can speak on his behalf as well as himself?) to stand in & if they can't supply anybody, just empty chair him & be done with it.

Cameron will live or die by his decision, but in no way should he be allowed to dictate the terms on how these debates should be constructed.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every interview with Dave from now to the election should start with 'Prime Minister, in 2010 you said that leadership debates were needed for democracy, why have you changed your mind?'
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Every interview with Dave from now to the election should start with 'Prime Minister, in 2010 you said that leadership debates were needed for democracy, why have you changed your mind?'

the moron is such a big baby that he storm off on any interview if asked that question
    Forum Member
    Interesting stuff at The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/mar/05/cameron-ducks-tv-debate-with-just-miliband-reaction-politics-live-blog

Ashdown making very good point that the debates would happen before the Tories had even released their manifesto:
    In his Today interview Lord Ashdown also said that it would be wrong to hold the debates before the publication of the Conservative party manifesto.

Tories LYING about Labour not wanting the 7 way. Desperate stuff!
    4 - The source claims that Labour has ditched support for a multi-party debate, and that that is because Ed Miliband does not want to appear alongside Nicola Sturgeon. I’ve just spoken to the Labour party who say that is not true, and that Miliband is still committed to the multi-party debates, as well as to the head-to-head with Cameron.

Labour has setup an online petition to not let Cameron get away with not debating Miliband: https://t.co/qLtyIdFNtt
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    "representing the conservatives ..... IAN DUNCAN SMITH!"
    ^_^

oh if only we have ministerial debates too, his would be a fun one

We should have ministerial debates. There's far too much focus on a single figurehead for our form of government. In a perfect world I'd like to see head to head to head for each cabinet role. Give a much truer reflection of what will actually happen over the next five years rather than the overly simplistic presidential debates.

Might be a bit problematic for the greens when koantemplation turns up to discuss their immigration plans but would make fun TV