Options

Recommendations for a 17 year old Girl?

loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
Forum Member
My sister turns 17 soon and my parents have bought her a Kindle, which I want to preload with some books. But I don't really have any idea of books for teens/young adults.
She's quite a 'young' 16/17 so anything aimed at 13+ is fine, but so would books aimed at adults.

She likes the Hunger Games series and Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses series but not Twilight (so maybe she's not so young for her age after all :p ).

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about True Blood? It's also about vampires and so forth but made more for adults rather than teenagers.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's highly likely she'd like Veronica Roth's Divergent and Insurgent if she liked Hunger Games.

What about some classics too - many of them are free for Kindle, you could have a whole range of things like Pride & Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, all sorts - things that she might never have bought but might like to dip into and see if she likes them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Another vote for divergent, it's brilliant. Check out the ya thread on here, there are some gear suggestions. Off the top of my head I think of delirium by Lauren Oliver, matched by allie Condie and I am number four by pitticus lore.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys. :)
    Gormond wrote: »
    What about True Blood? It's also about vampires and so forth but made more for adults rather than teenagers.
    I'm not sure if she's really into vampires, I'll have to try to slip it into conversation later and find out. :D
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think it's highly likely she'd like Veronica Roth's Divergent and Insurgent if she liked Hunger Games.

What about some classics too - many of them are free for Kindle, you could have a whole range of things like Pride & Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, all sorts - things that she might never have bought but might like to dip into and see if she likes them.
    Will definitely try the first two. I might download them myself first, I loved the Hunger Games too.
    I have some classics I downloaded when I first got my Kindle but have never got around to reading them, but as they're free I could download them for her too, I never even thought about them. If she's not interested she can just delete them I suppose. :p
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Another vote for divergent, it's brilliant. Check out the ya thread on here, there are some gear suggestions. Off the top of my head I think of delirium by Lauren Oliver, matched by allie Condie and I am number four by pitticus lore.
    Thanks, I'll check the thread out.
    They're all great suggestions too, they all seem like books I'd enjoy as well.

I think she may like less fantasyish books too, maybe with a bit of humour or romance. She liked the 'Angus, Thongs...' series a few years ago.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything by Sarah Dessen would be my vote.

My students have also enjoyed books by John Green. Maybe some Nicholas Sparks, my GCSE and 6th form girls always seem to like him.

If she likes humour and romance, why not Bridget Jones's Diary? I think I read them when I was about 15-16.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anything by Sarah Dessen would be my vote.

My students have also enjoyed books by John Green. Maybe some Nicholas Sparks, my GCSE and 6th form girls always seem to like him.

If she likes humour and romance, why not Bridget Jones's Diary? I think I read them when I was about 15-16.

Yeah, as previously discussed I'm not a John green fan, but he's definately a hit with the teens, also Maureen Johnson is great, I love her works, she does contemporary tenn fiction as well as ghosty stuff in shade of London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh another suggestion - if she's quite detail focused or sciencey she might like vitals by Kathy reichs, it's the teen series linked to bones (the book and tv series by the same author), there's science mixed with adventure, I love them.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Catcher in the Rye
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    For teenagers who love reading, I recommend Eva Ibbotson, Mary Hooper and Celia Rees. Their books are a terrific blend of history, humour, intrigue and romance. I'm sure your sister will love them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I've never read it, but they've made a film based on the book
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Eva Rice)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may want to try the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.
    I also agree RE the Divergent books, they were very good.

If you think she would like more 'real' young adult books there are quite a few aswell.
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is fantastic, also a film. You could always do a little bit of digging online to find popular YA books, see if you think your sister would enjoy any.
  • Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by Paula Danziger or Judy Blume would get my vote :)
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, A Certain Smile, by Francoise Sagan is a dead cert. She wasn't much more than 17 when she wrote it.

Less beautifully written but still OK is Peyton Place, by Grace Metalious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SourCherry wrote: »
    The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (Eva Rice)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)

Two of my favourite books ever.

Kind of like The Lost Art..., I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I adored this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may want to try the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.
    I also agree RE the Divergent books, they were very good.

If you think she would like more 'real' young adult books there are quite a few aswell.
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is fantastic, also a film. You could always do a little bit of digging online to find popular YA books, see if you think your sister would enjoy any.

There's a film of Speak? :eek:

Has anyone ever read Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd? I saw the pilot of the TV show and enjoyed it, but haven't had the chance to see the rest - wondered what the books were like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of my favourite books ever.

Kind of like The Lost Art..., I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I adored this.

Oh, me too! I really love that type of book. I struggle to find more with the same feel. It's something I can't quite put my finger on.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh yes! I Capture the Castle is lovely! Haven't read it in ages, I might have to read it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SourCherry wrote: »
    Oh, me too! I really love that type of book. I struggle to find more with the same feel. It's something I can't quite put my finger on.

The only word I can use to describe them is 'lovely' :D there's just such an endearing charming feel to all 3 of those books.
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a film of Speak? :eek:

Has anyone ever read Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd? I saw the pilot of the TV show and enjoyed it, but haven't had the chance to see the rest - wondered what the books were like.

I haven't seen the TV show but I've read all the books and they are very addictive....

To the OP, I'd recommend:

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mangomoon wrote: »
    I haven't seen the TV show but I've read all the books and they are very addictive....

To the OP, I'd recommend:

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis

I'm the other way, love the show but the books were not my cup of tea, a little young writing style, so maybe good for a teen (rather than an older woman who still likes to read teen books :o), they're very gossip girly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I'm the other way, love the show but the books were not my cup of tea, a little young writing style, so maybe good for a teen (rather than an older woman who still likes to read teen books :o), they're very gossip girly.

The DVD boxset and the books are kind of expensive :eek: will have to look out for bargains.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    You could try both Blood Red Road and the follow-up Rebel Hearts by Moira Young, they're alternative world fiction, quite similar to Hunger Games or maybe Shiver, Linger and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (the Wolves of Mercy Falls series).
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    What about Harry Potter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The DVD boxset and the books are kind of expensive :eek: will have to look out for bargains.

The tv shows great, very dark and twisty. I only read books 1 & 2 before giving up, perhaps if I'd read the. Before the show? But then you'd know who 'a' is (the bad guy/girl) and that's ruin the show!
    You could try both Blood Red Road and the follow-up Rebel Hearts by Moira Young, they're alternative world fiction, quite similar to Hunger Games or maybe Shiver, Linger and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (the Wolves of Mercy Falls series).

Loved all of these, although brr and rebel hearts are strange writing to read.