Options

Sky Atlantic Virgin?

woolybullywoolybully Posts: 152
Forum Member
I suppose there is absolute zero chance of Sky Atlantic launching on Virgin by the end of the month. Game of Thrones Season 3,the best program on T.V (IMHO) starts on the 1st of April. It would be great to watch it on virgin. Ah well will have to resort to other means....again!.:cry:

Comments

• Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolybully wrote: »
    I suppose there is absolute zero chance of Sky Atlantic launching on Virgin by the end of the month. Game of Thrones Season 3,the best program on T.V (IMHO) starts on the 1st of April. It would be great to watch it on virgin. Ah well will have to resort to other means....again!.:cry:
    Not zero chance, but unlikely. There is a possibility VM may bring us Sky Atlantic when ESPN closes down, but nothing solid to support that comment, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member

Keeping Sky Atlantic to themselves doesn't work in my opinion , people just watch the shows via other means.

I have watched all of season 1 of Banshee about 2 months before even starts on Sky Atlantic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member

word of advise for u..
    go over to sky. virgin dont have many channels..
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    word of advise for u..
    Yes they do. They have pretty much all of the mainstream channels.
    It is mainly the niche channels that VM are missing.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    word of advise for u..
    A word of advice for you, to get your opinions taken as seriously as possible, do not post statements like this which are clearly incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    word of advise for u..
    The vast majority of the channels we do not have are just low quality free to air channels - Virgin Media is not missing much.

Sky Atlantic is the one that we don't get that I want, but I have conceded that the only way to see the shows I want on there is to get the box sets, which I have done with 'Mad Men'.

There are only one or two shows that are worth doing this for - the rest I can see when they eventually get repeated on other channels or when Sky finally relent and charge other platforms a sensible price for it.
  • Options
    sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    word of advise for u..

I can't work this post out, in other threads Virgin are the dogs nuts for everything :confused::confused:

Still, it's one up from "good evening all" and pointless thread starters.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no interest in Sky Atlantic but I guess there are people who are interested.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no interest in Sky Atlantic but I guess there are people who are interested.
    Same here, and I have it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a Virgin Atlantic ;).
  • Options
    spj20016spj20016 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Why is there so much hype that surrounds Sky Atlantic. Yes there are a few programmes that get hyped up (game of thrones mainly) but why are people so obsessed with the channel. It was obvious when SKY signed the exclusive deal with HBO that they were going to keep it exclusive to themselves for as long as they could, and I am sure when they see forums that are always talking about wanting the channel they will keep with holding it to get customers to change to Sky. I think a lot of Virgin Media's customers couldn't care less if we have it or not. We pretty much have most of the decent channels anyway. The people I feel really sorry for are those with terrestrial TV that get into a programme, sky come along get exclusive rights to it and stick it on Sky 1 or similar. At least more times than not it will be put on a channel that we have got.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spj20016 wrote: »
    Why is there so much hype that surrounds Sky Atlantic.

Because there are so many top programmes that HBO make. Sky atlantic is my used channel I reckon - blue bloods, game of thrones, boardwalk empire etc...
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there so much hype that surrounds Sky Atlantic.

Because after Sky1, Sky Living, Fox, Comedy Central, Watch and G.O.L.D. it's the most watched pay only entertainment channel (and that's without being in 3m+ virgin homes).
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Because after Sky1, Sky Living, Fox, Comedy Central, Watch and G.O.L.D. it's the most watched pay only entertainment channel (and that's without being in 3m+ virgin homes).

Yes but as even you must admit there are other ways to watch these shows.;)
  • Options
    spj20016spj20016 Posts: 144
    Forum Member

Well that answers why Sky want to keep it exclusive to themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but as even you must admit there are other ways to watch these shows.;)

But if we all adopted that attitude of using Torrents to get programs that are on Sky Atlantic before they are aired would we really need Virgin or Sky ? Damn, if I wanted to I could save myself a fortune on my monthly subscription to Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Sky 1, Sky F1 and Just download all the programs from Torrent and stream all the sports live over the interent via all the random links that are easy to access via google.

What is the point in torrent for tv shows, when we expect the best of the best to be in you monthy tv subscription, after all we pay enough don't we ?
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that answers why Sky want to keep it exclusive to themselves.
    Virgin is still hopeful of getting it. http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/ (Monday March 18th)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if we all adopted that attitude of using Torrents to get programs that are on Sky Atlantic before they are aired would we really need Virgin or Sky ? Damn, if I wanted to I could save myself a fortune on my monthly subscription to Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Sky 1, Sky F1 and Just download all the programs from Torrent and stream all the sports live over the interent via all the random links that are easy to access via google.

What is the point in torrent for tv shows, when we expect the best of the best to be in you monthy tv subscription, after all we pay enough don't we ?

When channels are not on VM torrents are better then nowt!

Of course i have a VM tv sub for everything else.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Virgin is still hopeful of getting it. http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/ (Monday March 18th)
    Didn't say which year, though.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although to put "so much hype" and "so many people" into perspective even the best of those channels are of course massively behind the non pay ones.

Sky Atlantic has viewing figures of 300,000 I think, about on a par with BBC4 and half that of BBC3. Although at times it's been as low as 50,000 people.

So it's not an issue for everyone in the UK, nor even for everyone who has Virgin or Sky TV.

There's no reason why it's viewing numbers would swell massively if included with Virgin, a small fraction of Sky customers watch it and it seems highly likely that the take up amongst Virgin customers would be of a similar level.

And it's continued absence is certainly not about to cause a mass exodus of Virgin customers to Sky, sorry psouth. :D
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    But if we all adopted that attitude of using Torrents to get programs that are on Sky Atlantic before they are aired would we really need Virgin or Sky ?

Put it the other way round. If companies actually gave people what they wanted there would be no need for torrenting.
    I have no idea about Game of Thrones but there are certainly other big shows on Sky that have been out in the US for months and are still being advertised as coming soon on UK tv. It's rather ridiculous in this day and age for this gap to exist. It's not even the internet and people talking about shows, read magazines like SFX and they'll be talking about all the new shows before and as soon as they come out in the US.
    We have moved on.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The engineer who installed my stuff today seemed to think that Sky Atlantic was coming soon, so make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Although to put "so much hype" and "so many people" into perspective even the best of those channels are of course massively behind the non pay ones.

Sky Atlantic has viewing figures of 300,000 I think, about on a par with BBC4 and half that of BBC3. Although at times it's been as low as 50,000 people.

So it's not an issue for everyone in the UK, nor even for everyone who has Virgin or Sky TV.

There's no reason why it's viewing numbers would swell massively if included with Virgin, a small fraction of Sky customers watch it and it seems highly likely that the take up amongst Virgin customers would be of a similar level.

And it's continued absence is certainly not about to cause a mass exodus of Virgin customers to Sky, sorry psouth. :D

yeh yeh..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The engineer who installed my stuff today seemed to think that Sky Atlantic was coming soon, so make of that what you will.

10 years time virgin media take on sky atlantic