Options

Is Kylie Minogue a spent force in music

mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Her run of singles chart positions have been appauling and album sales mediocre.

Can she rise from the ashes like she did after Decon or will any change in management, styling, music and promotion be futile?

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Stick a fork in her, she's done.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's always been rubbish.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Stick a fork in her, she's done.

nasty
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever Kylie appears in these parts, you either get a festival of fanwank or the complete opposite.

I think she needs better material and better marketing. The material comes first obviously, but we saw with Aphrodite that she had a good lead single that would have easily got to number 1 on its first week sales if they hadn't released it midweek, and not to mention she was out promoting it weeks before it was available to download. That whole campaign was absurd, and following the rather messy X and questionable choice of singles from it (which they also continued with the Aphrodite singles after All The Lovers) really tarnished the Kylie brand.

And then following two abortions in a row, the best she could come up with was Kiss Me Once, which was the complete opposite - good marketing and dire material. And the marketing missed at least one trick. If Sexercise has been a full single and released a couple of months later, it would have been an easy number 1 based on views alone (it got 2m views in less than a week which would have translated to 500,000 sales for chart purposes), and it wasn't as though the charts including streaming was a surprise move, it was well signposted.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    She'll be fine. Her Abbey Road album was pretty successful, and she had one of best musical comebacks of any artist I know. From 'Some Kind of Bliss' to 'Can't Get You Out of my Head' within 4 years - pretty impressive. Plus she's a pretty big live act - if she announced a Greatest Hits tour i'd bet money that it would sell out instantly.

I do think her day's of hit singles are over, but the same could be said for just about any artist over about 40. It's a young peoples game these days. She could easily rack up a few more big selling albums though - she just needs to release music that the public connect with.

I Was Gonna Cancel is in my opinion down there with 'Wow' as one of the worst singles that K has ever released. However 'Into the Blue' is one of her best, it's a shame it didn't perform better.
  • Options
    SayheySayhey Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I'm a big Kylie fan, but the last album was crap (IMO) I purchased and listened to it once, the only track I liked was a bonus track. I haven't booked tour tickets for the first time in years. I'm hoping for a album I like next time 😀
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Kylie but kiss me once is the definition of mediocre, just same old same old. I miss the kylie of 2000-2004, when she had great singles one after another with great videos and performances. I'm not talking about the chart performance but the material itself. Since x, it feels like she's just going through the motions. The Aphrodite campaign started off well but crumbled apart by the time Get Outta My Way was released. This campaign has been awful, from wasting her time on The voice to the awful IWGC video.

But if there's one thing I won't do, it's to count her out. If she came back from impossible princess, she can come back from this.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely girl, charming personality, very average singing voice, nice bum, three or four classic hit singles, good career, best to leave it at that really.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Madonna her days of big selling albums and singles are done, but both are still able to sell a ton of tickets and nowadays thats where the real money is made

The bulk of music buyers are 12 to 25 and they dont wanna hear new music from someone who's older than their parents
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    The bulk of music buyers are 12 to 25 and they dont wanna hear new music from someone who's older than their parents

Especially if even her loyal fans say that new music is poor.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    I agree that Kylie's material has been very lacklustre over the last few years.

With X, I thought the run of singles improved with each single, but it also meant each single peaked lower than the previous. The One (Freemasons Remix) was a real missed opportunity and should've been the lead single. Far superior, imo, to the quirky but yet underwhelming 2 Hearts.

All The Lovers would've done brilliantly had they released everything on one Sunday, not staggered the release over a fortnight (ie; release the CD single two weeks after the download). It helped the single climb to its peak in the charts but the two forces combined would've given Kylie at least one week at #1.

As for this latest album from the tracks I've heard, they are all crap. Didn't anyone at Jay-Z's label actually listen to the songs and think "you know what, this is really bad". I Was Gonna Cancel is just a hot mess. Into The Blue wasn't much cop either. Better than IWGC but still average at best.
  • Options
    BlazingLovaticBlazingLovatic Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Whenever Kylie appears in these parts, you either get a festival of fanwank or the complete opposite.

I think she needs better material and better marketing. The material comes first obviously, but we saw with Aphrodite that she had a good lead single that would have easily got to number 1 on its first week sales if they hadn't released it midweek, and not to mention she was out promoting it weeks before it was available to download. That whole campaign was absurd, and following the rather messy X and questionable choice of singles from it (which they also continued with the Aphrodite singles after All The Lovers) really tarnished the Kylie brand.

And then following two abortions in a row, the best she could come up with was Kiss Me Once, which was the complete opposite - good marketing and dire material. And the marketing missed at least one trick. If Sexercise has been a full single and released a couple of months later, it would have been an easy number 1 based on views alone (it got 2m views in less than a week which would have translated to 500,000 sales for chart purposes), and it wasn't as though the charts including streaming was a surprise move, it was well signposted.
    YouTube views still don't count towards the chart + 1 stream is equal to 0.01 sale, not 0.25
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    she just needs a hit single .... her last was 'all the lovers'

from the current album there a few that could have the potential if they had the right kind of promo, styling and video. It is her weakest album in a while though.

'beautiful' hasn't been released yet and could do well in the latter parts of summer.

'feels so good' - ibiza crowd with remixes may enjoy this.

besides -- she has the commonwealth games performance on the cards... both tracks could feature? If she is wise.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may not be topping the charts, but she can still draw in the crowds for a concert tour. She just has to tailor her music for an older market, then she may shift a few more units
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie is a great artist but her most recent and new stuff doesn't quite hit it for me , I loved the Light Years , Body Language and Fever era, X and Aphrodite were meh but I did like All the Lovers. Time Bomb which was a non album single was great though.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Is she a spent force in the singles chart - yep

Is she spent force in music - hell no
  • Options
    Forum Member
    has anyone noticed how poor her videos have been since .... 'all the lovers' ....

'sexercise' was perhaps her best in ages... yet this wasn't pushed as a single but little more than a promo single ... so strange
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I was having this discussion with a friend over skype a few weeks back. We both generally came to the conclusion that Kylie and Madonna are spent as much as million selling albums and singles go. Madonna's last campaign was dire, EDM was starting to get long in the tooth and Ms Minogue followed her right in. The whole of the Kiss Me One campaign has been poor the image and marketing was great but the album...I fail to see how that got past the gate. It is just a load of over produced noise with no definition of meaning. She was trying to sell herself as some sex icon, I really dislike Sexercise it was convoluted and unnecessary. She got away with a slightly cheeky look on Aphrodite and still managed to look classy.

I got excited when it was published she signed with rocnation, now I see the result and I have to say I just cringed. Aphrodite was a standout album when it was released in 2010, for me it brought the really Kylie back. Yes it was playing it safe but the music sounded fresh and new at the time when released amongst the tripe coming from Lady Gaga and such like.

I loved Aphrodite, the whole album had a string of songs that could have been singles. Its just sad that the music was great but the marketing behind it was piss poor. The reverse is true now regarding KMO. This is the first time since 2000 or so that her tours haven't sold out immediately, I suspect this will be a common occurrence going forward unless there is a change in direction. This album the music and everything just wasn't befitting of Kylie, she needs to get that sparkle back where music has a hook. The music she is singing now belongs to the younger crowd, Rihanna et al.

Kylie I fear has come crashing down and sadly both age and the music buying public are not on her side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madonna's last album sold over 2m with limited single releases/promo... and record number 1 in countries.... quite amazing ..and a record breaking tour.... ....but admittedly she hasn't promoted the album with singles or videos as she used to.... but if she did ... i think that she could sell 4m+ which would be seen as the world best seller in todays market... hard candy is my least fave of hers... but it is popular among the under 25s, MDNA.... was poorly promoted...

Aphrodite ...was imo one of kylie's best albums - so cohesive .... pure pop ...great production .... and her vocals are her best .... but as usual let down by bad promo and single choices....

both Kylie and Madonna have more to give ...
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Madonna's last album sold over 2m with limited single releases/promo... and record number 1 in countries.... quite amazing ..and a record breaking tour.... ....but admittedly she hasn't promoted the album with singles or videos as she used to.... but if she did ... i think that she could sell 4m+ which would be seen as the world best seller in todays market... hard candy is my least fave of hers... but it is popular among the under 25s, MDNA.... was poorly promoted...

Aphrodite ...was imo one of kylie's best albums - so cohesive .... pure pop ...great production .... and her vocals are her best .... but as usual let down by bad promo and single choices....

both Kylie and Madonna have more to give ...

I agree with everything you have put there. Except the last bit....I think Madonna still has a lot of mileage in touring and releasing new music albeit not being a massive seller. That said if an album did sell more than 4 million you are right in the current market it would be a world best.

Its just Kylie.....I don't know how long that locomotive (;-)) is going to keep on chugging. Her Aphrodite album for me was one of her best I wholeheartedly agree with you, she benefited from having Stuart Price at the helm (who incidentally also produced Madonna's last big seller Confessions). The album was perfection it hit every note for me, joyous, happy and fun. For me it was a stand out album of 2010.....now in 2014 with Kiss Me Once words just fail me.....

Madonna is now working with Disclosure who I do believe are very gifted but again they should be working with younger artists and the occasional collaboration with a more mature artist. Their work with MJ Blige on F for You, a not a remix per se but a re-recording if you will was brilliant. But again I just don't know what they can do for Madonna who should maybe have an album playing it safer and releasing something less current and more classic.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »

Madonna is now working with Disclosure who I do believe are very gifted but again they should be working with younger artists and the occasional collaboration with a more mature artist. Their work with MJ Blige on F for You, a not a remix per se but a re-recording if you will was brilliant. But again I just don't know what they can do for Madonna who should maybe have an album playing it safer and releasing something less current and more classic.

It was rumoured she's working with Disclosure, but another article said it wasn't true, as they were touring. The main producers of her new album are Avicii and Diplo. But what would playing it safe and being more classic mean for Madonna? The heart of her music has always been dance/electronic music from her first album. People think she is trying to be "current" but she from her first album has always been working with the hot dj's of the time. She did ballads and AC stuff for a brief time in the 90's, but that was the exception more than the rule for her. I can't see her doing a whole album of slower MOR/AC music and it working for her even though that's what people expect from an artist in their 50's. That would seem very un-Madonna to me rather than being "classic".
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say she's finished. She might not be popular in the mainstream any more but she still has a fanbase and as long as she has fans she will keep going. I would regard her in the same league as Madonna in that she's had a legendary career and released some great hits but she's more of a niche or cult artist now. Her concerts still do well though.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course, not. kylie can still tour and pull in the crowds. that is where the money is to be made anyhow and her latest album sales will not effect her ability to sell tickets.

i do think her recent album is particularly weak though, but her "abbey road" album did pretty well and perhaps she should have continued down the acoustic route.

its unfair to blame her management or label as much as people do on here. the music just didn't connect with music buyers beyond her fan base, its disappointing, but the material just wasn't up to scratch.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As just a casual fan I am really surprised I was gonna cancel didn't do that well..if anything I think that should have been her lead single
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a 'spent force'?... she was never a force anyway, just a pop star.