"Obese" babies - both parents obese & met in Burger King

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-met-partner-burger-5252250

Not sure what the Mirror is implying here are they saying the babies are obese because both parents are classed as obese or are they saying the babies are obese because the parents met and worked in Burger King? :confused:

If they had met in a gym would the babies have come out with muscles and a six pack?

Have any studies shown that obese parents have obese children or people who work in fast food restaurants are more likely to have obese babies? :confused:

Comments

• pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the mum even obese? She looks overweight, not surprising considering she has just given birth to two babies, but not obese.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Is the mum even obese? She looks overweight, not surprising considering she has just given birth to two babies, but not obese.

Well they call her "Curvy" in the story :D
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you are confusing "obese" and "morbidly obese". She very much looks to be the former.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

isnt that a euphemism for fat on dating sites?

like "bubbly" = fat
    and cuddly = fat
    good personality = fat
    homely = fat
    caring = fat ;-);-);-)
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the 'intelligent tabloid' remember.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My baby was 10lb and at the time of birth I weighed 10st 3lb including baby. What a lot of shite that article is, terming newborns obese. The last thing we need is pregnant women starving themselves in case their baby's fat. Twits!!!!!!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    My parents meet each other on a beach. So does that mean i am meant to be a lifeguard?

What a pointless article. The baby is safe and well. Isn't that all that matters?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

She certainly doesn't look noticeably very fat. She has, what I would call, a bit of weight on. I've seen some that are worse than her round here.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big question is why did the parents phone the newspaper to have their 'story' put in the papers?

Where they sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and decided they wanted some attention?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    The big question is why did the parents phone the newspaper to have their 'story' put in the papers?

Where they sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and decided they wanted some attention?

They obviously don't care at all if they make themselves look cheap. They probably want the money.
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing ever good good comes from eating animal corpses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    Nothing ever good good comes from eating animal corpses.

All the amino acids that are needed to make complete proteins. Milk and eggs have them as well.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They obviously don't care at all if they make themselves look cheap. They probably want the money.
    Do you really get paid for crap like this?

You phone the newsdesk and tell them you have a story to sell, what's the story? We are both overweight and now we have overweight babies.
    OK we buy your story for 500 quid, we will send a photographer and a journalist round to your house.

Do they really pay for this stuff?
  • maxplusmaxplus Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Not picking on you particularly but this is part of the problem.
    She is most definitely obese but obesity is so common these days that the goalposts have moved for how people tend to see it. People these days can be 2 or 3 stone overweight and they're seen as pretty normal (and she's a lot more than that)
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Do you really get paid for crap like this?

You phone the newsdesk and tell them you have a story to sell, what's the story? We are both overweight and now we have overweight babies.
    OK we buy your story for 500 quid, we will send a photographer and a journalist round to your house.

Do they really pay for this stuff?

My bet is that this gripping tale will have come from some women's magazine. It won't have been lifted from a men's magazine.

Either way it is not a news item.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    My bet is that this gripping tale will have come from some women's magazine. It won't have been lifted from a men's magazine.

Either way it is not a news item.

Or local papers which seem to thrive on absolute non stories. My mate sent me a link to her local paper this week regarding something we'd bee talking about and one of the others stories in their was about a man who had had his free toe nail cutting appointment cancelled - I kid you not
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haven't read the article, but if a woman is diabetic with raise blood sugars, then the baby can become overweight before it is born.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Getting pregnant isn't an excuse for getting fat. Plenty of women stay fit and healthy throughout their pregnancy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    It's like saying if a Mother & Father believed what the Mirror wrote they would sire a thick, gullible child!!
    Or if a Mirror journalist had a child with a Mirror editor then they would be born a slimy, untrustworthy, bull shitter, or in a nutshell;- Piers Morgan
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not by western standards in 2015, but if using the medical definition, she looks like she would easily fall into the obese category.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never fails to amaze me why people allow their babies to be plastered all over a tabloid
    IMO. A babys photos is private and not public property
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    It never fails to amaze me why people allow their babies to be plastered all over a tabloid
    IMO. A babys photos is private and not public property

She was possibly paid the handsome sum of £25, or around that sum for her story.
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    All the amino acids that are needed to make complete proteins. Milk and eggs have them as well.

You just pulled that out your anus. No nutritionist would state a human needs to eat meat for a healthy diet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    You just pulled that out your anus. No nutritionist would state a human needs to eat meat for a healthy diet.

If I was a betting man, which I am, I'd wager £50 that you're one of those veggie folk. :D
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    My parents meet each other on a beach. So does that mean i am meant to be a lifeguard?

Are you a turtle?