Foyle's War ITV Sunday 11 April

Comments

• OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I found it a bit disorienting. One minute we're in Hastings, then in Brighton, then London, then the murder victim's village... I'm sure the older episodes didn't rush around so much. In fact London didn't look very Londonish which made it harder to keep up with the plot.

Bomb-damage, red buses and black taxi-cabs gave us a clue ..... ;)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/modesoftransport/londonbuses/history/5159.aspx
    Buses continued to run in London during World War II. To protect passengers from flying glass in the event of a bomb blast, netting was used to line the windows. A small opening in the middle of the window was created to help passengers see where they were.
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely wonderful to have Foyle back. I thought Foyle was a bit more curmudgeonly in this episode which I think is right given he has been refused early retirement. Clearly the resentment about his being forced to work on bubbled up when Milner was off with him and Milner's sidekick was a bit too familiar at the artist's house.

Looking forward to the rest of the series and I do hope ITV wake up and realise they need the kind of audience who watch Foyle as well as the teenys who watch jungle frolics or wannabe pop stars, and commission more for next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    It was axed by the previous director of programming. It was recommissioned by the new one!

The man who swung the axe was called Simon Shaps. In last night's episode an army officer, on a visit to Hastings police station to see Foyle, instructed his driver, "Wait here for me, Shaps." :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this. It was a little difficult to follow at first , but it soon became much clearer. I wish ITV would do more of these type of programmes, the acting was superb and the whole thing was well presented and researched.

A previous poster said it was not on the internet , I assume he meant ITV Player , but it was. Earlier episodes , one which was on only a week ago , are not on Player, and I'm not sure why this is.

I do vaguely remember the guy who was in Crossroads and his acting in that was weak , but he seemed fine in this , and I assume we will see a lot more of him. How many more episodes are there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Not something that really has come in on my TV radar until very recently when I caught a repeat a couple of weeks ago and found I really enjoyed.

Saw it on Sunday that it was very enjoyable. Is it worth me going back and catching up with all the previous series?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it on Sunday that it was very enjoyable. Is it worth me going back and catching up with all the previous series?

Yes, it’s the shining jewel in ITV’s diamante Argos crown. Buy the boxset - You won’t regret it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this. It was a little difficult to follow at first , but it soon became much clearer. I wish ITV would do more of these type of programmes, the acting was superb and the whole thing was well presented and researched.

A previous poster said it was not on the internet , I assume he meant ITV Player , but it was. Earlier episodes , one which was on only a week ago , are not on Player, and I'm not sure why this is.

Earlier episodes, shown during the last few weekends in the late afternoon, were repeats. The episode on Sunday night was a premier and presumably would be available on ITV Player for that reason.
    david1955 wrote: »
    I do vaguely remember the guy who was in Crossroads and his acting in that was weak , but he seemed fine in this , and I assume we will see a lot more of him. How many more episodes are there?

I believe there are two further episodes: "Killing Time" and "The Hide".
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Gowdy wrote: »
    The man who swung the axe was called Simon Shaps. In last night's episode an army officer, on a visit to Hastings police station to see Foyle, instructed his driver, "Wait here for me, Shaps." :p

Great, love it - but then Horowitz is a very clever writer:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Great, love it - but then Horowitz is a very clever writer:D:D:D:D

Indeed. The name "Foyle" was inspired by Foyles, the bookshop. I believe the owner of Foyles had a cameo role in one episode, in which he and DCI Foyle acknowledged each other in the street outside his home.

There is another: Foyle is played by Michael Kitchen, who Antony Horowitz had in mind for the role. There was a bit of banter in a Radio Times interview a while ago, about the surnames - Kitchen and Foyle, as in kitchen foil. :D
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Not something that really has come in on my TV radar until very recently when I caught a repeat a couple of weeks ago and found I really enjoyed.

It's definitely worth watching the previous series. Foyle's War is one of the best dramas on ITV and shows that they can make good drama when they try.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely worth watching the previous series. Foyle's War is one of the best dramas on ITV and shows that they can make good drama when they try.

I agree with your sentiments 100%.....

Foyles War, is ITV drama at its best, (on a par with Lewis), with characters that you can identify with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Foyles War, is ITV drama at its best, (on a par with Lewis), with characters that you can identify with.

Absolutely right. If you liked Sunday's episode, buy the earlier series. You won't be disappointed.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Gowdy wrote: »
    Absolutely right. If you liked Sunday's episode, buy the earlier series. You won't be disappointed.

The only ones I have missed, were the first 2 episodes, but will hang back from the box set until xmas, as they may have the new eps included.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Watched this on ITV Catchup and I'm glad to see that the series hasn't lost any of its charm since the last series (there was a two year gap I believe).

When Sam asked Foyle what he would do when he finally retires, Foyle answers: 'I may go to America. Some unfinished bussiness to attend to'. I wonder if this has anything to do with the 'Fifty Ships' episode, in which Foyle
    has to let the murderer go to America for the sake of the war but promises he will get him once the war is over

Anyway, I'm glad it's back :D
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to watching this, but it began late (STV region) so I only have 90 minutes recorded.

Ah well - will watch for an early repeat on ITV2,3 or 4.

Anyone know WHY it was delayed? Must have started nearer 8.30 than 8.....
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    I was looking forward to watching this, but it began late (STV region) so I only have 90 minutes recorded.

Ah well - will watch for an early repeat on ITV2,3 or 4.

Anyone know WHY it was delayed? Must have started nearer 8.30 than 8.....

There was football on ITV in England before it, which went into extra time.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Scotch - I could not see anything on the lacklustre STV line up (the best of 'The Hour'....:confused:) that could possibly have over-run......
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You lucky person. You have all the episodes back to 2002 to discover, since FW has been running that long. I don't think I've ever seen a bad episode of it yet.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    There was football on ITV in England before it, which went into extra time.

Weird. It was in the listings for for 8pm but it changed in the EPG to 8.15 earlier in the day. They must have rescheduled it during the day. I didn't realise it was because of the football, just assumed it was to compete with BBC One which had Over the Rainbow at 8.15.
  • IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *cirrus* wrote: »
    Indeed. The name "Foyle" was inspired by Foyles, the bookshop. I believe the owner of Foyles had a cameo role in one episode, in which he and DCI Foyle acknowledged each other in the street outside his home.

There is another: Foyle is played by Michael Kitchen, who Antony Horowitz had in mind for the role. There was a bit of banter in a Radio Times interview a while ago, about the surnames - Kitchen and Foyle, as in kitchen foil. :D
    Thank you, love this sort of stuff.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honeysuckle on Breakfast now. Her and Susanna Reid in the same place at the same time. I need a cold shower!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting ending to tonights "final" episode - it's left wide open for him to return if ITV have a fit of concience!

One minor gaffe - when Foyle was driving round the corner to the hotel on the letter that had been found in the victim's bedroom, you could see a "Pay Here" pay and display sign in the background!

Still, must be a nightmare trying to backdate streets and chose the correct camera angle to avoid the 21st Century!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God forbid ITV should commit to another series and announce it at the end of this one.

Will we get to see Foyle’s American excursion? Would be expensive.

Blake’s Seven fans will have liked seeing Steven Pacey tonight. Never liked Tarrant myself - Show went terminally downhill when he joined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Will we get to see Foyle’s American excursion? Would be expensive.

Agree, but we could get a series where he's gone over to investigate whatever he's gone over to investigate and has come back to persue it I suppose - I just thought the ending gave opportunity for a further series, which was nice.

One thing did puzzle me - I wonder if the guy on trial was really Foyle's son from his earlier encounter with his mother? There seemed to be a hint of it.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, but we could get a series where he's gone over to investigate whatever he's gone over to investigate and has come back to persue it I suppose - I just thought the ending gave opportunity for a further series, which was nice.

One thing did puzzle me - I wonder if the guy on trial was really Foyle's son from his earlier encounter with his mother? There seemed to be a hint of it.

I agree, pretty big hints I would say! I definitely came away believing that Foyle was the father.

I think that this series has actually been one of the best. I've loved just about everything about it and do hope that we follow Foyle to the USA or at the very least see him at home again when he goes to Honeysuckle Weeks' characters (middle of the night amnesia, can't remember her name!) wedding! :)

And just to bring the tone of this thread down a bit: Michael Kitchen/Christopher Foyle? He might be getting on a bit but I would!!!! :o;):D