Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, very useful!

I forgot about Alan Green who did his first PL commentary this weekend on TV and radio!

How did everyone find Kluivert today? I'd happily listen to him again
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

Pretty good to be honest - Sky could (and have) done worse than him. Wouldn't mind him appearing again.

Also, in a slight change to normal, Mark Chapman has mentioned on Twitter that MOTD2 is being recorded from Old Trafford tonight (rather than the usual studio).

Jermaine Jenas is set to be one of the pundits too - I haven't really seen him as a pundit before but I know he's appeared all around the place recently (on ITV4 and on the worldwide PL coverage for example) so I'll be interested to see what he's like tonight. Never really thought of him as a pundit before. Anyone know what he's like as a pundit?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, much as I find Green an acquired taste I thought he was perfectly good on Match of the Day, he commentated on the match in a professional manner. What I don't like about Green is when he goes off on one about the most trivial things (the noise of the tannoy, people standing in front of him) which obviously you didn't get here, so I was absolutely fine with him. It is bizarre how he's suddenly turned up on TV commentary thirty years into his BBC career on a pretty bog-standard game, but there you go.

I quite enjoyed hearing Green on MOTD - I think what it shows is that when he isn't "going on about other stuff", he's a quality commentator - especially if this was his first TV game.

I'm reluctant to guess on this forum so I'll make clear this is just a guess but I just wonder if Green appearing on MOTD could be DQF related - I notice we also had Conor McNamara last night (although he has appeared before).

Not suggesting it's 100% due to DQF but is DQF a partial driver in terms of BBC wanting to maximise the "efficient use of available resources"?
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that Alan Green does not do his column in the Belfast telegraph anymore, he always mentioned interesting tidbits regarding his broadcasting career.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Liga - Granada v Villarreal - SS5
    Comms: Dominic Johnson and David Phillips
  • Options
    D4N1EL11D4N1EL11 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Don't think it's been mentioned- Martin Tyler's birthday today- turned 69......2 months younger than john motson who retired from live commentary 6 years ago
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, very useful!

I forgot about Alan Green who did his first PL commentary this weekend on TV and radio!

He was good when he wasn't being spoken over by the other pundit.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sportscene, BBC1 Scotland, 14/9/14

Presented by Jonathan Sutherland, with Michael O'Neill and Stephen McManus.

Scottish Premiership
    Celtic v Aberdeen - Liam McLeod
    Partick Thistle v Inverness - John Barnes
    Dundee Utd v Hamilton Accies - Paul Mitchell
    Ross County v Motherwell - Rob Maclean
    St Johnstone v Dundee - Paul Mitchell
    Kilmarnock v St Mirren - Brian McLaughlin

Scottish Championship
    Raith Rovers v The Rangers - Rob Maclean
    Falkirk v Queen of the South and Dumbarton v Hearts - Jonathan Sutherland (reporting)
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Motson took a long summer in 1995, but was back in October.

Which reminds me... to cover Motty's absence, that's when Jon Champion was brought across to TV for the first time.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news; the European Football Show team of Richardson, Horncastle, Laurens & Honigatein are all involved in BT's Europa League coverage this season starting Thursday. I imagine with a view to continuing next season when the first choice EL games are theirs.

Edit; I see this is already covered in the BT Sport thread but still thought worth noting here
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Kluivert was very good. Obviously there for the Van Gaal connection but came across well.

Incidentally, he nearly moved to United back in 1998 but we signed Dwight Yorke instead. Just think, if Kluivert had joined then we may never have had to suffer Yorke as a pundit on United games :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised Kluivert wasn't at the more luxury setting of Cappielow, Greenock for his son scoring against Scotland U16s! :D
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was good when he wasn't being spoken over by the other pundit.

It's part of the 'initiation' at Sky. Go on the same show as Redknapp, be far more insightful than him but then get interrupted and shouted down so he can talk nonsense.
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Looking at these thread the most hated coverage would most likely go as followed

Presenter - Jake Humphrey
    Pundits - Jamie Redknapp, Dwight Yorke and Robbie Savage
    Commentators - Sam Matterface and Michael Owen

Second would be

Presenter - Adrian Chiles
    Pundits - Ian Wright, Mark Lawrenson and Juninho
    Commentators - Alan Parry and Andy Townsend

Honourable mentions to Clarke Carlisle and Fabio Cannavaro.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Curious promotion for Sky Atlantic's 'The Leftovers' at the end of Super Sunday; is that the first time they've trailed non-sports programming on Sky's PL coverage?

As mentioned, they've done it quite a lot, they've trailed Mad Men and Game Of Thrones quite a lot when they've been starting series. Course, Sky always say how ratings don't count because of Sky+ and On Demand and that, but then consistently promote live transmissions so they can shout about high ratings. Successful if they get high ratings, successful if they don't. That's the Sky way.
    BFGArmy wrote: »
    Also, in a slight change to normal, Mark Chapman has mentioned on Twitter that MOTD2 is being recorded from Old Trafford tonight (rather than the usual studio).

Jermaine Jenas is set to be one of the pundits too - I haven't really seen him as a pundit before but I know he's appeared all around the place recently (on ITV4 and on the worldwide PL coverage for example) so I'll be interested to see what he's like tonight. Never really thought of him as a pundit before. Anyone know what he's like as a pundit?

This isn't the first time they've done MOTD2 on the road, this time last season when they only had one match they did the whole thing from Villa Park - and they did MOTD Extra from there as well. Makes sense if there's only one game. I suppose. I like Jermaine Jenas, he's always come across as very likeable and articulate and I thought he was good here.
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to guess on this forum so I'll make clear this is just a guess but I just wonder if Green appearing on MOTD could be DQF related - I notice we also had Conor McNamara last night (although he has appeared before).

Not suggesting it's 100% due to DQF but is DQF a partial driver in terms of BBC wanting to maximise the "efficient use of available resources"?

McNamara has been on MOTD for many seasons, of course he started as a TV commentator in Ireland (he told the story of how his first match was the Cup Final because the existing commentator resigned immediately before it) so they're happy to use him when they're stretched like John Murray. But it's obvious that they do appear to be using more people across MOTD and Five Live with Bower and Mowbray going in the opposite direction quite frequently too. Presumably it's the same idea as Pearce and Brotherton being on BT, if it doesn't interfere with their main role they're now happy to let them be heard elsewhere.
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky need to get rid of Yorke and Redknapp.

Agreed and add Quinn and Tyler to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    commod wrote: »
    Saturday 13th September - BBC One

Match of the Day

Gary Lineker presented alongside Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy

Chelsea v Swansea City - John Motson
    Arsenal v Manchester City - Steve Wilson
    Liverpool v Aston Villa - Jonathan Pearce
    Southampton v Newcastle United - Martin Fisher
    West Bromwich Albion v Everton - Alan Green
    Stoke City v Leicester City - Steve Bower
    Crystal Palace v Burnley - Conor McNamara

It was interesting to hear from Alan Green on MOTD, I have sometimes wondered if Alan Green would ever be used on television, and I couldn't find any faults with his performance. In other news, Jacqui Oatley was the interviewer at Chelsea-Leicester; Gary Lineker conducted his own interview with Nigel Pearson, and the goal of the season segment came from Fulham's Alan Mullery against Leicester from the 1973/74 season.

Oh and I do like the idea of different music being played in the 'Coming up' section at the start of each show! This time it was 'Purple Haze' by Jimi Hendrix.

Probably about time for Green as no1 BBC football commentator, a cut above anybody else the BBC have as a commentator, Mowbray crap as ever Saturday called Internazionale or Inter as commonly called the Italian team, Inter Milan. No such club you moron, as BBC no 1 an embarrassment to those who over promoted him.

Green could put a bit of quality back into the higher echelons of BBC TV commentary. Long overdue.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    ianmatt wrote: »
    Probably about time for Green as no1 BBC football commentator, a cut above anybody else the BBC have as a commentator, Mowbray crap as ever Saturday called Internazionale or Inter as commonly called the Italian team, Inter Milan. No such club you moron, as BBC no 1 an embarrassment to those who over promoted him.

Green could put a bit of quality back into the higher echelons of BBC TV commentary. Long overdue.

That's the thing, when Green commentates of the action, i have never had any truck with him, when he starts ranting, my heart sinks. TV offers you fewer chances to do this. He once said The Hawthornes was one of his favourite grounds to commentate from so i guess he was happy to be there
    Mowbray I don't really get, a bit like Ed Milliband, seems pleasant enough, but a bit dull
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed and add Quinn and Tyler to that.

id,like,to,see,you,be,a,commentator,on,a,match,so,we,can,call,you,crap...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mowbray crap as ever Saturday called Internazionale or Inter as commonly called the Italian team, Inter Milan.

Although it's long offical name is Internazionale Milano - So clearly Inter Milan is used often worldwide. Just like Manchester United is often shortened Man Utd.

But hey carry on moaning about everything.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow:16th Uefa Youth League
    Liverpool's Academy vs Ludogorets Razgrad.
    LFCTV:2pm
    Real Madrid v FC Basel
    Eurosport2:5pm

Tuggeranong United v Melbourne Victory
    Australian FFA Cup Last 16
    10:30am BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD

a few matches for people who just like football...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it's long offical name is Internazionale Milano - So clearly Inter Milan is used often worldwide. Just like Manchester United is often shortened Man Utd.

But hey carry on moaning about everything.

Not worldwide at all in Italy they are called Inter, not ever Inter Milan, standards well below what you would expect from a commentator in such an exalted position.

Such lack of knowledge of one of the worlds biggest clubs says a lot. It simply wouldn't happen with the best like Green.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not worldwide at all in Italy they are called Inter, not ever Inter Milan, standards well below what you would expect from a commentator in such an exalted position.

Such lack of knowledge of one of the worlds biggest clubs says a lot. It simply wouldn't happen with the best like Green.

As an Italian I should probably point out to you that you are wrong. Any Italian speaking in English could refer to them as Inter Milan, I fail to see why you see Inter as ok but not Inter Milan. Its no different to any commentator saying "Bayern Munich", you wouldn't expect to hear that in Germany would you?

Even in Italian I would expect the hear them referred to as 'I Nerazzurri' as well as "Internazionale" before I did "Inter".
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice Steve Banyard hasn't appeared on world feed duty at all so far? Don't know if he's been on FIFA international tournament duties or what but quite surprising that Proudfoot has taken his role it seems.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
    Forum Member
    http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/09/14/gus-johnson-steps-down-foxs-top-soccer-announcer

The silly Gus Johnson experiment on Fox is over. Opens the door a bit for what they'll do for the 2018 World Cup.
This discussion has been closed.