Options

Is the bbc the best value tv in the world?

Comments

• Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Is it good value? A lot of staff there work for nothing on "workfare", and that is paid for by the taxpayer.

I think you are over thinking the analogy. I just meant you don't pay very much, it mostly tastes good and you leave feeling full.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. How would we be better off if we watched more BBC than we do? For example, so far this week we have watched exactly one program on the BBC. So according to you, if we'd watched, say 5, we'd be better off? How? What benefit would we gain from watching more BBC? Other channels have some great documentaries, for example.

You'd be better off because you wouldn't have missed some high quality drama, lots of family entertainment, informative documentaries and a lot of comedy.

If nothing else, you'd have had more things to talk about with other people as a lot of very popular programs are on the BBC.

I'm not going to list individual programs just so you can tell me why you don't watch each of them, but I honestly think everyone would be better off if they watch/listened to more than a hour a week of the BBC.

Obviously there is some total tat on the BBC. If the one hour you watched was Flog It, I agree it will have given you no benefit whatsoever.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be better off because you wouldn't have missed some high quality drama, lots of family entertainment, informative documentaries and a lot of comedy.

If nothing else, you'd have had more things to talk about with other people as a lot of very popular programs are on the BBC.

I'm not going to list individual programs just so you can tell me why you don't watch each of them, but I honestly think everyone would be better off if they watch/listened to more than a hour a week of the BBC.

Obviously there is some total tat on the BBC. If the one hour you watched was Flog It, I agree it will have given you no benefit whatsoever.

And same goes for non BBC channels lots of good lots of family entertainment, informative documentaries and a lot of comedy.
  • Options
    welshkidwelshkid Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    And same goes for non BBC channels lots of good lots of family entertainment, informative documentaries and a lot of comedy.

Yes, although how much of that is Sky made, or more importantly these days, commissioned by Sky?

Not many things are black and white. Why does there seem to be the viewpoint that if you like things that the BBC make there must be something wrong with you?

But to get back onto topic...

Whether you actually choose not to ingest anything on BBC TV, Radio, or online, how can anyone really say that for what you get access to and what you are have to pay for that content is not good value, I don't know?!? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where did I say everything not on the BBC was rubbish? I just said watching only one program a week on the BBC meant you had probably missed some really good content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshkid wrote: »
    Yes, although how much of that is Sky made, or more importantly these days, commissioned by Sky?

Not many things are black and white. Why does there seem to be the viewpoint that if you like things that the BBC make there must be something wrong with you?

But to get back onto topic...

Whether you actually choose not to ingest anything on BBC TV, Radio, or online, how can anyone really say that for what you get access to and what you are have to pay for that content is not good value, I don't know?!? :confused:

Does it matter if something is home made or commissioned,what matters the most if you enjoy it and i enjoy American programming.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I say everything not on the BBC was rubbish? I just said watching only one program a week on the BBC meant you had probably missed some really good content.

What is good or not is a matter of personal opinion, not fact. I like Rookie Blue, for example, I think it's well made, and the acting is convincing. I, however, unlike BBC lovers, would not presume to suggest that everyone is missing something because I think it's good.

There are programs on the BBC that get great reviews and a lot of people seem to watch them but they are about things that don't interest me or I don't want to watch them for some other reason. It's my personal choice. I don't think I'm missing good content. I always scan through all the channels when I am watching TV to see if anything that interests me or OH is on, and usually there is nothing on the BBC we want to watch.

Anyhow, the people we know and are friends with don't spend lots of time discussing TV shows. In fact, we hardly ever talk about TV. We have lives, you know, that are interesting and enjoyable. We don't actually watch much TV at all. As for the BBC, I don't like any of their comedy that is on at the moment. Other channels have interesting documentaries and I can't think of a single drama on at the moment that OH and I want to watch.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter if something is home made or commissioned,what matters the most if you enjoy it and i enjoy American programming.
    So you think it wouldn't matter if everything was imported from the US and nothing was commissioned here? I enjoy some US shows but I certainly wouldn't want everything on British television to be imports for all sorts of reasons, cultural etc. Other countries are the same. Without public broadcasting there would be none or very little home commissioned programming. Certainly Nordic Noir would be non existent without public broadcasting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think it wouldn't matter if everything was imported from the US and nothing was commissioned here? I enjoy some US shows but I certainly wouldn't want everything on British television to be imports for all sorts of reasons, cultural etc. Other countries are the same. Without public broadcasting there would be none or very little home commissioned programming. Certainly Nordic Noir would be non existent without public broadcasting.

Just as long as you enjoy watching the program ,does not matter where it's made does it. It's about what you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as long as you enjoy watching the program ,does not matter where it's made does it. It's about what you like.
    Nonsense. Again you think it would be ok for nothing to be made here and everything imported? So if all childrens programming came from the US that would be OK? Without the BBC that is all you would get. Some of the US shows may well be good but we are culturally a different Country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally disagree, and so do the majority of broadcasters around the world. Why do you think there are so many local versions of X Factor, Who wants to be a millionaire, and other quiz / reality shows? Why do UK and US networks remake foreign dramas like The Bridge or The Killing? Most people do want to watch programs that reflect their own culture.

If you want to live in a bubble of US culture, that's your decision, but you are in a minority.

Whether you watch it or not, the BBC is amazing value for money for Britain.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do not understand that do they.

I know not everybody liked SKY, but why do BBC fans have a hard time understanding not everybody likes the BBC.

I'd like to know that too. They don't seem to accept that people have a choice and exercise it and are entitled to do so. Evidently we are missing some wonderful programs which we could talk about with our friends who are naturally watching lots of BBC programs, only our friends don't seem to be watching lots of BBC programs and we don't talk about TV much anyhow.

We're going out now. We are going out tonight too. We wont be watching any TV or recording anything. I am terribly sorry we wont be staying in and watching the BBC so we can talk about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense. Again you think it would be ok for nothing to be made here and everything imported? So if all childrens programming came from the US that would be OK? Without the BBC that is all you would get. Some of the US shows may well be good but we are culturally a different Country.

Does it matter what people enjoy as long as they enjoy it does it matter where it's made.
    I loved watching the american kids program as a kid .
    And when i have kid if they just want to watch American shows I will just let them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter what people enjoy as long as they enjoy it does it matter where it's made.
    I loved watching the american kids program as a kid .
    And when i have kid if they just want to watch American shows I will just let them.
    And it certainly has affected you as a an adult because you still can't get in your head, You have ignored posts from others that explain the differences between cultures You are like talking to a brick wall. There is nothing wrong with watching some US shows but it would certainly matter if that is all we had. .
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Maybe to you. I don't watch/listen to an hour a week of the BBC, and quiet often nothing at all. So what you are saying applies to me with regards to the BBC.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't meaning how much of each broadcaster a person watched but how much original programming they create.

There is more original content shown throughout the week than there are on the Sky branded channels and you pay more to view them.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't meaning how much of each broadcaster a person watched but how much original programming they create.

There is more original content shown throughout the week than there are on the Sky branded channels and you pay more to view them.

Okay, yes I see what you are saying...though I think Sky are trying to change that, they certainly said that last year, that they want to do more original content, and cut back on the imported shows.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,775
    Forum Member
    I know not everybody liked SKY ,but why do BBC fans have a hard time understanding not everybody likes the BBC.
    Many people don't like Sky because of the limited amount of different programming available. There are basically Movies, Sport, US TV and repeats.

Meanwhile, the BBC does all this.

The point being that if you can't find something on the BBC to watch or listen to then that perhaps says more about your limited viewing than it does about the BBC.

And yes, I include myself in that statement, to a degree. I should really watch more UK-made stuff but I like my US dramas too much :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    repeat after repeat after repeat! now they do not even date the programmes first airing..
    all programmes such as street patrol,the housing enforcers are demeaning and that all civil servants are heroes?Do they think apart from the lounge lizards who spend allday sat on their arses that we are all stupid and lulled into thinking our moneygrubbing government is efficient and conscientious..the political bias borders on north korean state run television...shame on aunty beeb..fresh blood is needed.:cry:
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technoguy wrote: »
    You would finally understand why we find BBC apologists on digital spy so annoying.

This word "apologist" always gets laid at the feet of anyone who dare take the side of a big corporation/company like the Beeb and Sky.

Well I apologise to you if I find £12-13 a month excellent value for what the BBC provides for me. And I apologise that the aforementioned £12-13 goes out of my account unnoticed every month because I earn enough for that to be the case.

And I feel sorry for you that you'll give yourself a tumour getting angry about something that bothers me not one iota.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    No, I think American TV is the best value for money. Whether it's just broadcast TV or basic pay cable/satellite.

And it has been that way since the 1970s. There's no question in my mind about it, whatsoever!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    No, I think American TV is the best value for money. Whether it's just broadcast TV or basic pay cable/satellite.

And it has been that way since the 1970s. There's no question in my mind about it, whatsoever!

Broadcast TV in the US is virtually unwatchable due to the frequency and duration of adverts (for me anyway). This makes it very poor value to me.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,775
    Forum Member
    Dai_Gore wrote: »
    repeat after repeat after repeat! now they do not even date the programmes first airing..
    all programmes such as street patrol,the housing enforcers are demeaning and that all civil servants are heroes?Do they think apart from the lounge lizards who spend allday sat on their arses that we are all stupid and lulled into thinking our moneygrubbing government is efficient and conscientious..the political bias borders on north korean state run television...shame on aunty beeb..fresh blood is needed.:cry:

Not the best first post, really. Good for a rant but not for anything more than that.

2/10 for effort though :)
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that is a bit uncalled for Carl. First post has nothing to do with the sentiment. I agree that the BBC fobs us off with repeats without flagging up the first broadcast date. Its fair to say that the BBC has a tendency to favour the establishment.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Toen wrote: »
    I think that is a bit uncalled for Carl. First post has nothing to do with the sentiment. I agree that the BBC fobs us off with repeats without flagging up the first broadcast date. Its fair to say that the BBC has a tendency to favour the establishment.

Oh, i don't know. The "North Korea" bit turned the post into comedy.:D
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    [highlight]CORRECT![/highlight] and its programmes are much better quality and have higher budgets than the cheap and tacky rubbish like Tumble that the BBC serves up.

Considering We pay nearly £4 billion for the BBC with our Forced pay TV subscriptions, its probably the worst Value TV service in the world. >:(

RUBBISH
    Just look at the major US broadcasters revenues. NBC had revenues last year of $23.6 billion, Fox $13.2 billion, and the Disney owned ABC $45 billion.

Some of those revenues are down to the films produced by these companies (unlike the BBC they are all owned by film studios) but despite the huge amounts of cash they generate, they are still further funded by adverts.

HBO (a subscription channel) had revenues last year of $4.9 billion, is (only!) a billion pounds short of the BBC's budget, but they only provide 1 channel, not 6 TV channels a fully interactive web service, a 24 hour news gathering service and 59 radio stations.