Christmas Dinner!!

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
What is everyone eating this year?

We are having a small turkey and a small pork leg joint, with the usual trimmings!! I have also volunteered to cook it this year! there is just the two of us though so not too stressful lol!!:D
i'd love to try and make a christmas pudding but i worry i've left it too late, or have I ?
:)

Comments

• SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the one meal I usually go out to buy fresh produce for the 4 of us around 5 days before, but this year we're being lazy and having it pre-ordered and delivered by Tesco on 23rd.

Easy carve duck with cranberry, orange & apricot stuffing, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, baby carrots & gravy. Followed by Victoria plum & damson sponge pudding with custard.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've completely gone off meat since being pregnant so I'll either be having just the veg, yorkshires and roasties or, my current fave, Mac 'n' Cheese!
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something fishy for a starter. Goose cooked with prunes and apples. Home-made christmas pud - made two last year, having the second one this year. Usual trimmings and wines.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the one meal I usually go out to buy fresh produce for the 4 of us around 5 days before, but this year we're being lazy and having it pre-ordered and delivered by Tesco on 23rd.

Easy carve duck with cranberry, orange & apricot stuffing, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, baby carrots & gravy. Followed by Victoria plum & damson sponge pudding with custard.

Oooh that all sounds lovely!!!:D
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Something fishy for a starter. Goose cooked with prunes and apples. Home-made christmas pud - made two last year, having the second one this year. Usual trimmings and wines.

I've never had goose, sounds v nice though!! Am I too late to contemplate making my own Christmas pud?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually have duck. Last year we had duck and turkey as we had some other people to dinner that prefer just turkey. This year we are forgoing the duck on Christmas day and just having turkey and honey roast ham. Got a lovely boneless turkey crown from a local place where we got our one last year. It was lovely.

Will have to have the duck for a meal another day, can't not have my roast duck :D

Will also be doing all the usual trimmings. Apart from bread sauce. No one in my family likes bread sauce. Just a nice gravy and a bit of cranberry will suffice.

We don't do a starter as we would all prefer extra helping of mains and a nice pud which will be something chocolatey but other people are sorting that.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    I've never had goose, sounds v nice though!! Am I too late to contemplate making my own Christmas pud?

You can still make it, but it needs to be done in the next day or so, as it really has only two weeks to mature. Soak the fruit overnight in the booze.

Nigella's recipe sound good

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ultimate-christmas-pudding
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Delivered on the 23rd?
    You must have nerves of steel!
    :o
    :D

Why do they describe the duck as "easy carve"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's two that will enable you to say
    "Of course I made it myself!"
    :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2715/lastminute-christmas-pudding
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/last-minute-christmas-pudding/
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you're not too late at all. I think I used a James Martin recipe. Dead simple, stick all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and steam for a few hours. None of that awful bitterness you get with some commercial puds.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey and all the trimmings, because that's the tradition in our household :) Yule log and custard for desert. Assorted biscuits and confectionery throughout the day.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i polish off a couple of tangerines a day during the holidays
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i polish off a couple of tangerines a day during the holidays
    Do they buff up nicely?
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually start off with a starter - smoked salmon and prawn cocktail.

I am on a meal plan now which obviously includes breakfast, so I'm going to have my 'starter' as breakfast earlier in the day instead I think, with some lettuce (as part of the meal plan's importance is regular eating, without long gaps without having anything).

Christmas Dinner will be: Turkey , roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnip (I am going to cook mine separately without oil, butter etc), brussel sprouts (of course!), peas, stuffing, and pigs in blankets. And gravy!
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eating out at a restaurant this year and the menu goes something like this;

Starter - Roasted pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms and parmesan.

Main - Roast turkey, chestnut stuffing, pigs in blankets, goose fat roasties, honeyed baby carrots, brussel sprouts and pancetta and red cabbage.

Dessert - Vanilla cheesecake with hazenuts and chocolate sauce.

Can't wait :)
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delivered on the 23rd?
    You must have nerves of steel!
    :o
    :D
    We only chose Tues 23rd because it's the closest available day this year to our usual weekly Thurs home delivery, and they only deliver the duck between 20th-23rd. Like I said, it's the first time we've had Xmas dinner home delivered, so if it all goes horribly wrong, we won't be doing it again. :D
    Why do they describe the duck as "easy carve"?
    According to their website, "It's part boned, so is beautifully simply to carve".
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    We don't do a starter as we would all prefer extra helping of mains and a nice pud
    Same here. That and the fact I could give Gregg Wallace a run for his money in the dessert eating stakes! :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    Eating out at a restaurant this year and the menu goes something like this;

Starter - Roasted pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms and parmesan.

Main - Roast turkey, chestnut stuffing, pigs in blankets, goose fat roasties, honeyed baby carrots, brussel sprouts and pancetta and red cabbage.

Dessert - Vanilla cheesecake with hazenuts and chocolate sauce.

Can't wait :)

How much is that lot costing you?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not decided yet will make a decision much nearer the day, will likely be roast something, lamb, chicken or veggie dish. Although we have been known on several occasions to decide on Christmas day what we really fancy is egg and chips and just gone with that. Will see.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    We have never had starters in our house, this year is no different. My menu this year is:

Turkey & honey roast ham
    Pigs in blankets
    Stuffing
    Goose fat roasties
    Honey roast parsnips & carrots
    Braised red cabbage
    Sprouts with pancetta & chestnuts
    Gravy

Puddings will be a selection of different bought ones, Yule log, cheesecake, Christmas pudding etc with creams & ice cream.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my own so gonna see what nice goodies m&s do. Or a small turkey crown with roasties, Brussels, carrots and swede and brocolli.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much is that lot costing you?

£65 per head, kids eat free. We have put by £15 a month for it so we don't really notice it.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    We are still stuck in the 70's for our Christmas Dinner.

Prawn Cocktail for starter
    Turkey with all the trimmings
    Trifle for pudding.

Works for us!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    £65 per head, kids eat free. We have put by £15 a month for it so we don't really notice it.

Wow, it's amazing how much restaurants rip people off at Xmas. There's no justification for those prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    The usual turkey with everything else :D
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey crown, sage & onion stuffing, pigs in blankets,mash & goose fat roasties, sprouts,carrots, peas, gravy

Xmas pud or chocolate sponge pud and custard