Birthday cake help

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
My sisters birthday is coming up and I have found a cake o would like to make her, only problem is I can't seem to find a recipe anywhere. I am hoping someone on here can help me :)
I'm looking at making a malteser cake with either smarties/m&n or another chocolate alongside.

This is the photo I have but no instructions, help!
Thanks

http://m.weheartit.com/entry/125216936

Comments

• sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    My sisters birthday is coming up and I have found a cake o would like to make her, only problem is I can't seem to find a recipe anywhere. I am hoping someone on here can help me :)
    I'm looking at making a malteser cake with either smarties/m&n or another chocolate alongside.

This is the photo I have but no instructions, help!
    Thanks

http://m.weheartit.com/entry/125216936

You'll probably find that the cake underneath is an ordinary chocolate sponge cake - plenty of recipes on the net for those!
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    You'll probably find that the cake underneath is an ordinary chocolate sponge cake - plenty of recipes on the net for those!

Yep that would be my thought too. Just jazz up an ordinary sponge with all the chocs you want.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep just a cake covered in maltesers/m&ms/whatever.

One way to do the pouring effect is you could stick some sort of support in the cake, cover it with modeling chocolate and then use edible glue to stick the sweets on.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »

Yes. This is the chocolate cake recipe I use for everything. Very rich, very moist. Has turned out perfectly every time and I'm no baker, believe me.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Just ignore the part where it says to slice it into three layers and all the decoration. Slicing it horizontally into two layers* and sandwiching with a small amount of ganache (you won't need anywhere near the amount in the recipe if it's just to sandwich it) will give you a beautiful chocolate cake ready for your gravity thing - which looks class btw.

(*or you could divide the mix into two shallower tins to give you your two layers. )

There are lots of how to videos online showing you how to decorate it.
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's great, thank you
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    That's great, thank you

go into the food and drink forum, they will help you out
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could beat some malted milk powder into the buttercream icing. That would give it a malteaser vibe.

Or contrarywise put the malted milk in the vanilla sponge cake and frost with chocolate. Crush malteasers and sprinkle generously over the top.
  • Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did something similar for my mum. I just did a normal chocolate sponge cake and covered it in Betty Crocker chocolate fudge icing and trust me, everything sticks to it. I had chocolate fingers round the side and nothing fell off.

For the pouring effect several ways to do that but easiest is to do something like a bread stick or anything long, edible that wont take away from the taste. Again smother it in icing and add the sweets to it.

Ooo or a curly wurley! Hmm. May not get the structure but everyone likes curly wurleys.