Will An Iomega Nas Hard Drive Record From A Satellite Hd Box

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I am thinking of buying a iomega nas hard drive desk top box but i need to know it i can connect the usb to my M/vision hd sat box to it to record sat programs, I have tried using a portable hd seagate but the M/vision box will not power a portable hard drive,i assume it needs a external mains powered desk top hdd any advice welcome thank you.regards David

PS by connection i mean connecting the omega directly to the sat box ( not via the router)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    HDMI wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of buying a iomega nas hard drive desk top box but i need to know it i can connect the usb to my M/vision hd sat box to it to record sat programs, I have tried using a portable hd seagate but the M/vision box will not power a portable hard drive,i assume it needs a external mains powered desk top hdd any advice welcome thank you.regards David

PS by connection i mean connecting the omega directly to the sat box ( not via the router)

I have a 500GB Buffalo HDD laptop drive connected USB to a "Technisat" freesat receiver - runs fine without separate mains adapter also a 250GB Buffalo Laptop HDD connected to a Techomate 6800 similarly connected. Both are trouble free and recordings are just fine. The Technomate and MVision are very similar in specs.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ike1998 Thank you for the reply but my sat box (M/vision) will not run a portable hard drive. I believe it needs a hard drive with mains power.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    HDMI wrote: »

If the box is a NAS (network-attached) device then it is possible that any USB port is a host port designed to connect to another external disk, and not a target port that is designed to be connected to a computer (which is what a SAT box will look like to it). You really need to look for a SAN (storage-attached) device, which are not so plentiful, although they do exist, usually just descibed as "external hard drive".

Most portable hard drives can take an external power supply, you should double-check the connectors on your Seagate, there might be a power connection.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not get a sensible answer in any shop about the iomega so i took a chance and bought a Seagate which was a more suitable looking box and i am am pleased to say it worked a treat, set itself up with the m/vision sar box in seconds