Options

1970s 0r 1980s Regional Slang Words That You No Longer Hear

Comments

• Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Dub" - The act of making love.

"Shell" - Bascially scoffing at someone who's made a fool out of themselves.
  • Options
    Cult of Z-ListCult of Z-List Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    Does anyone still use "Porking" to describe the physical manifestation of love.

Or indeed "twoinking", or "grinding"
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    Beeling = crying is the one I remember the most from around here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vellum wrote: »
    Ever heard 'Kay-Lyed' drunk :confused:

Or along the same lines pie-eyed
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    "Dub" - The act of making love.

"Shell" - Bascially scoffing at someone who's made a fool out of themselves.

Aren't Nish and Netto Manchester words, before the supermarket too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't Nish and Netto Manchester words, before the supermarket too.

That's right; I forgot about those.;)

Another couple:-

'Duss' - zero

'Dussed' (as in dussed out), meaning knocked out or beaten up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We used to play a school yard game called "Tiggy on high" the rules of which were basically you couldn't be tagged and become it if your feet weren't in contact with the ground (eg standing on a wall).

I also remember Kerby which involved standing on opposite sides of the road and trying to throw a football against the payement in front of your opponent.

I understand if you call someone a "wally" these days your regarded as something of a geek.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    "Divvy" - an idiot. As in, "what d'ye do that for, yer divvy!"

Skriking" - crying. First thime I heard it in Bolton I wondered what the hell it meant.

"Shady" - not acceptable. I think it's still used in some areas. As in "Aww, you pulled that spiders leg off - that's shady that" Same applied for "Awl Ar*e" (same meaning)

"Sack it" - stop it.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "bobbing" from my school days, meant playing truant, as school meals cost a shilling a day (a bob) you would keep the money and spend it on chips or something, hence "bobbing it"

"greaser" or "greebo" was a name often shouted at myself or my mates, as we were bikers, and back in the 60s we rode old British bikes that leaked oil, and we would no doubt have copious amounts of it on our clothing, hence greasers,

"boneheads" our term from anyone who was NOT a biker, usually casually dressed soul music fans,
    "hairdryer pilot" anyone who rode a scooter,
    "can" or "cage" a car,

"joe puplic" or a "joe" a cigarette and NOT a joint,

"plastic pig" a reliant robin 3 wheeler,
    and then there is the unique dialect of Stoke on Trent,
    "cost kcik a bow agen a wow n mak eet cum back n yed eet till eet bosts ar bet thee cosner cost"? wull ar con dust sey?

(can you kick a ball against a wall and make it come back and head it until it bursts? I bet you cant can you? well I can you see,)

tow reyt? or, art geennon, or ow at?
    (are you alright, or how are you going on, of how are you old chap)?

"ast ast im? they atner ast im ast"?

(have you asked him? you haven't asked have you)?

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We used to play a school yard game called "Tiggy on high" the rules of which were basically you couldn't be tagged and become it if your feet weren't in contact with the ground (eg standing on a wall).

I also remember Kerby which involved standing on opposite sides of the road and trying to throw a football against the payement in front of your opponent.

I understand if you call someone a "wally" these days your rergarded as something of a geek.

Officially sanctioned as 'Off Ground Tig'

In that vein and with the current weather it seems kids no longer know how to make ice slides, first thing we would do at sign of snow was work on creating hudreds of slides - getting them 'bottle' and then 'black' and doing runs and tobbogans on them all break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At uni I knew two lads from Manchester who earned the nicknames "safe" and "large" for their continuous use if the words to express approval of something.

(eg "That's well safe that is")

("I'm 'avin it large me")
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "bobbing" from my school days, meant playing truant, as school meals cost a shilling a day (a bob) you would keep the money and spend it on chips or something, hence "bobbing it"

"greaser" or "greebo" was a name often shouted at myself or my mates, as we were bikers, and back in the 60s we rode old British bikes that leaked oil, and we would no doubt have copious amounts of it on our clothing, hence greasers,

"boneheads" our term from anyone who was NOT a biker, usually casually dressed soul music fans,
    "hairdryer pilot" anyone who rode a scooter,
    "can" or "cage" a car,

"joe puplic" or a "joe" a cigarette and NOT a joint,

"plastic pig" a reliant robin 3 wheeler,
    and then there is the unique dialect of Stoke on Trent,
    "cost kcik a bow agen a wow n mak eet cum back n yed eet till eet bosts ar bet thee cosner cost"? wull ar con dust sey?

(can you kick a ball against a wall and make it come back and head it until it bursts? I bet you cant can you? well I can you see,)

tow reyt? or, art geennon, or ow at?
    (are you alright, or how are you going on, of how are you old chap)?

"ast ast im? they atner ast im ast"?

(have you asked him? you haven't asked have you)?

:D

Is Duck/Ducks Stoke or Nottingham?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Officially sanctioned as 'Off Ground Tig'

In that vein and with the current weather it seems kids no longer know how to make ice slides, first thing we would do at sign of snow was work on creating hudreds of slides - getting them 'bottle' and then 'black' and doing runs and tobbogans on them all break.

And the art of the "scrub" (ie crushing a snowball in a victims face) has long since disappeared in these days of bullying hysteria.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    blockered?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or the classic Neds Atomic Dustbin.

Ahh those were the days

Don't know much of their stuff, but I love Grey Cell Green.

That's a great song. :cool:
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lemon = a lesbian
  • Options
    hotpotatohotpotato Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread.... a couple I remember from my childhood in Shropshire:

"nesh" to describe someone extra-sensitive to the cold ...
    "snappin" which was slang for a packed lunch (often in a tupperware container) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hotpotato wrote: »
    Great thread.... a couple I remember from my childhood in Shropshire:

"nesh" to describe someone extra-sensitive to the cold ...
    "snappin" which was slang for a packed lunch (often in a tupperware container) :)

Lathered - too hot.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Divvy" - an idiot. As in, "what d'ye do that for, yer divvy!"

Skriking" - crying. First thime I heard it in Bolton I wondered what the hell it meant.

"Shady" - not acceptable. I think it's still used in some areas. As in "Aww, you pulled that spiders leg off - that's shady that" Same applied for "Awl Ar*e" (same meaning)

"Sack it" - stop it.

We say that sometimes up here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Spaz
    Spazzmo
    Spazzy
    Spacker
    Skill
    Ace (as in good)
    VHS
    C90
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in London in the early 90's anything good was 'safe' I haven't heard anyone say that in years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Bogey (this was a home made go-kart made from scrap wood and wheels from a baby's pram/buggy). After 1990 they seem to have vanished from Britain's streets as I don't see the many more, probably becuase the health and safety nazis who've forgotten their childhood of the
    70s/80s
    Oh yeah, Pigs (the police).
    Crucial=good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Seen' - My compariots & I used to say this a lot, meaning, 'OK' or something to that affect.

I don't really hear this anymore.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A teacher at our school in the 70s once asked the class if teenagers still said 'way out'. One pupil said 'no, we say 'exit'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Bogey (this was a home made go-kart made from scrap wood and wheels from a baby's pram/buggy). After 1990 they seem to have vanished from Britain's streets as I don't see the many more, probably becuase the health and safety nazis who've forgotten their childhood of the
    70s/80s
    Oh yeah, Pigs (the police).
    Crucial=good

Ah yes, I had a mate who made one and he fixed a 'roll cage' to it (metal section from a school chair) by means of cement :D