A far, far less political one - seagulls at the beach. :D

S'all part of the experience!
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Ok, Izzie why have you chosen The North and South divide
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s because I’m from ‘oop North’, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that we have this imaginary ‘divide’ in such a (relatively) tiny country.

It’s not so much the financial implications, but the ridiculous stereotypes. The South is stereotyped as full of ‘toffs’, puffing on cigars while voting Tory, while the North is stereotyped as flat-capped wearing, Labour-supporting coal miners. Once upon a time...maybe, but now? I’m pretty sure it isn’t the case, and trotting out this trope only encourages the the North/South divide mindset.

There are going to those who are rich and poor in both the North and the South of England, and in a country that insists on a ridiculous ‘empire’ patriotic outlook at times, I think it’s just stupid to create the idea of two countries within a country, when we’re actually all rather similar.
    Forum Member
    Ok, Aaron your decision
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I don't think Aaron even needs to explain his decision!
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Maybe it’s because I’m from ‘oop North’, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that we have this imaginary ‘divide’ in such a (relatively) tiny country.

It’s not so much the financial implications, but the ridiculous stereotypes. The South is stereotyped as full of ‘toffs’, puffing on cigars while voting Tory, while the North is stereotyped as flat-capped wearing, Labour-supporting coal miners. Once upon a time...maybe, but now? I’m pretty sure it isn’t the case, and trotting out this trope only encourages the the North/South divide mindset.

There are going to those who are rich and poor in both the North and the South of England, and in a country that insists on a ridiculous ‘empire’ patriotic outlook at times, I think it’s just stupid to create the idea of two countries within a country, when we’re actually all rather similar.

Totally agree. I'm from "oop north" as well. :)
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to go for David Cameron. Don't really need to say much on this! You can tell he's a typical dad dancer, trying to be cool but failing on every level. And he left his child in a pub, surely you don't condone child-leaving-behindness?! I know politics in general isn't a barell of laughs, but David Cameron is a man who lacks any direction, balls or humility.I understand to run a country can't be easy, and you're going to upset some people along the way, but how does he manage to get it all so wrong, yet look so smug! Plus, people say he looks like Iggle Piggle, and i love Iggle Piggle and my Iggle Piggle love has been tainted slightly by such a horrific comparison!

(And to counteract Izzy, i'm from the south and can certainly confirm i DON'T support Tory! :p)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smile371 wrote: »
    I have to go for David Cameron. Don't really need to say much on this! You can tell he's a typical dad dancer, trying to be cool but failing on every level. And he left his child in a pub, surely you don't condone child-leaving-behindness?! I know politics in general isn't a barell of laughs, but David Cameron is a man who lacks any direction, balls or humility.I understand to run a country can't be easy, and you're going to upset some people along the way, but how does he manage to get it all so wrong, yet look so smug! Plus, people say he looks like Iggle Piggle, and i love Iggle Piggle and my Iggle Piggle love has been tainted slightly by such a horrific comparison!

(And to counteract Izzy, i'm from the south and can certainly confirm i DON'T support Tory! :p)

Exactly! It's the stereotype, not the reality. That's my issue with the North/South divide.

Cameron personfies it, funnily enough. ;)
    Forum Member
    Ok and Luke
    Forum Member

Who on earth is Iggle Piggle? :o
    Forum Member
    I hate seagulls. You'd never guess.

They do four things.
    1. Fly around your head, being a nuisance.
    2. Excrete on your head - even more of a nuisance.
    3. Steal your food.
    4. Make the most awful squawking noise imaginable.
    And yet, go anywhere by the coast in the UK and you'll find them, taking your food and plopping it back all over you. And it isn't just by the coast - take Leicester for instance, where I live, slap bang in the middle of the country. Yet apparently seagulls think it's the perfect place to spend half of the year, terrorising the residents. (may have used a little hyperbole there).

WE ARE BEING TAKEN OVER BY SEAGULLS, PEOPLE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who on earth is Iggle Piggle? :o

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: He's a character from the kids TV show In The Night Garden, and for some reason at the age of 21 i have a very large Iggle Piggle Collection . . . :o
    Forum Member
    IzzieStar wrote: »

Thanks - that's scary. :eek: (I can see the resemblance to Cameron!)
    Forum Member
    Val, your decision please :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: He's a character from the kids TV show In The Night Garden, and for some reason at the age of 21 i have a very large Iggle Piggle Collection . . . :o

You're in good company...so does my four-year old niece. :p
    Forum Member

I'm the same age (for a few more days, anyway...) and I stopped watching kids' shows when I was five? Six?

It isn't sad at all... ;):o
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay.

I have to rule out seagulls as I've never faced any torment from one, and therefore I don't really see much fuss. And while I agree with Izzie (I live in the South and am NOT a Tory), I just can't stand David Cameron. Especially how Daily Mail throw him off as an outstanding public figure. Plus, he's jumped on the One Direction bandwagon, recently...

So I'll put David Cameron into Room 101.