Options

How good is your spelling - online test

Comments

• Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of those saying they got 15/15 are telling the truth? Just wondering and not accusing anyone. (I did it and got 15/15 but then I could just say that anyway).
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11/15.

Even so, I think the test is too easy, because it gives alternatives and often it's easy to see which 'looks' right; many were obviously wrong. In my case, 4 out of 15 must have had plausible-looking alternatives!
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    14/15. Tripped up by minuscule (I thought it was miniscule).
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I got 15/15 but Ive always been quiet good at spellings
  • Options
    CablejockeyCablejockey Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I got 13 right. Its funny how I made my choice more based on how the word looked to me rather than how it was actually spelled.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 /15 for me

surprised. I thought I would be one of the cleverrist on diggitalspud
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    13/15

You're not really spelling it out but your brain is picturing if it's correctly spelt if that makes sense....

I wouldn't consider it a true spelling test.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vivelamour wrote: »
    14/15 (got graffiti wrong). As English is not my first language, I am very proud of myself:p

congrats, English spelling is no way straightforward as many of us native speakers can confirm

I speak German as a second language, and although I do sometimes still struggle with the advanced grammar, spelling in German is never problem for me as they pronounce every letter in their words.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those saying they got 15/15 are telling the truth? Just wondering and not accusing anyone. (I did it and got 15/15 but then I could just say that anyway).

Precisely. I think I'd have got 15 if I'd have regularly typed the words that I got wrong.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I got 15/15 but Ive always been quiet good at spellings

You may be good at spelling but using words in their proper context.........................
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    13/15

Similar situation to deans6571.

One of them, however, seems to now be an accepted variant. Samr one as dorydaryl I'd guess.

Here's a link to what I mean so, if you've still to take the test, don't be tempted!!

Link

Ooooooooooh I'm glad abowt that - I wos so shaw I was write - I'm normilie grate at speling.
  • Options
    vivelamourvivelamour Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    congrats, English spelling is no way straightforward as many of us native speakers can confirm

I speak German as a second language, and although I do sometimes still struggle with the advanced grammar, spelling in German is never problem for me as they pronounce every letter in their words.

Thanks Lucy. My first language is Dutch and like German spelling is a lot easier in Dutch.

To be honest, most of the words in the test have the same spelling in French which is my second language.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12/15
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    7/15

I must try harder. Spoiled by auto-correct.

15/15 for me. Auto-correct is fine but don't rely on spellcheck, I was messaging a friend on facebook today & it didn't like 'gammon' at all! I wonder what it thought I should be typing.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15/15 :D

Not saying how many tries though.
  • Options
    MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    15/15. I remembered Minuscule cropping up a few years ago on the TV Test The Nation prog and came a cropper, thinking it was miniscule. Now it has stuck in my mind.

I wonder how many would pass the their/there/they're and your/you're test.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    14/15

Thwarted by 'Accommodate'.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15/15 for me. Auto-correct is fine but don't rely on spellcheck, I was messaging a friend on facebook today & it didn't like 'gammon' at all! I wonder what it thought I should be typing.

I don't have a spellchecker in Firefox. It gets on my nerves when the wavy lines appear after I've typed a word that's not in the list of proper words.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14/15. I don't think I've ever written the word 'minuscule' before, so I put 'miniscule', thinking of mini being small. Oh well, you learn something new every day! :)
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15/15 peese ov kake!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    I got 15/15. I'm good at spellng.

Me too. Dead easy! :)
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9/15 oops and i thought I was good at spelling.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    15/15. I remembered Minuscule cropping up a few years ago on the TV Test The Nation prog and came a cropper, thinking it was miniscule. Now it has stuck in my mind.

I wonder how many would pass the their/there/they're and your/you're test.

Your joking, their easy.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 out of 15.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14/15 - got minuscule wrong.