How good is your spelling - online test

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 11. I am a bit rubbish at spelling but it was easier than having to spell them without seeing the right answer.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not telling

oh alright 9/15
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    11/15.

13/15 second time around. So at least it's educational.

(Millennium and Questionnaire were the culprits. But, those double Ns still look wrong...)
  • Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12/15 :cry:
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    14/15 .. as others were, I was scuppered by minuscule, although I'm relieved to read a post above that explains that miniscule is acceptable :D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,525
    Forum Member
    I got 15/15. I'm good at spellng.

Sorry HJB but anyone who got 15 spelt one of the words in the old way and not what is now the majority way:
    the spelling *** now makes up around 52% of the total use of the word. This includes examples in printed sources such as newspapers and periodicals
    Google search gives a similar result so you are one of the old school 48%... like the Mirror question master. More from Oxford Dictionary:
    It is now so widely used that it can be considered as an acceptable variant, although it should be avoided in formal contexts.
    I got 14 because of that one, but if Oxford says it's an acceptable variant, that'll do me. So 15 for you and me both. Maybe. :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13/15

Similar situation to deans6571.

One of them, however, seems to now be an accepted variant. Samr one as dorydaryl I'd guess.

Here's a link to what I mean so, if you've still to take the test, don't be tempted!!

Link

That's the one that tripped me in this test. Got 14/15 as a result.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    14/15 - got pronunciation wrong.
  • Fancy pantsFancy pants Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I always thought I was good at spelling!

10/15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13/15

One of them, however, seems to now be an accepted variant. Samr one as dorydaryl I'd guess.

Here's a link to what I mean so, if you've still to take the test, don't be tempted!!

Link

That was the only one I got wrong, although I'm glad it is now considered an alternative spelling
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 11/15. I was pleased because I can't spell and rely on checking everything before I post it. I can usually tell when a word is wrong but I don't know the correct way to spell it so I try a different word. Sometimes spell check doesn't know what I mean!!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13/15

Link

Thanks for the link, Hieronymous :). I feel better now, because of that :D.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    13/15 second time around. So at least it's educational.

(Millennium and Questionnaire were the culprits. But, those double Ns still look wrong...)

You got some wrong on the second attempt, even after seeing the four you got wrong?
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14/15 I think they spelled miniscule wrong.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14/15 I think they spelled miniscule wrong.

No, they've spelled their correct minuscule right. I've just looked it up in Oxford dictionary to make sure.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/minuscule
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 for me, slipped up on minuscule and graffiti. Even now auto-correct had to correct me, so it's interesting that my mispellings are so ingrained.

I feel a bit embarrassed too, so I almost didn't post this, granted they're not words I'd use every day but they're hardly uncommon to the socio-cultural vernacular.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got distracted by the article under the quiz... kids spelling errors, hilarious
    The one about the pupil that likes his "meth" teacher :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15/15 but I'm a stickler (and have been pulled up a few times on here for moaning about spelling...)

Minuscule is one that often catches people out because it's easy to think it's "miniscule" since something which is very small is "mini"
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    I knew minuscule because it was mentioned in an article I read a few years back about words commonly spelt incorrectly.

Another word I remember from that article was supersede. I would have thought it was supercede, but no.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    You got some wrong on the second attempt, even after seeing the four you got wrong?

Yes. (I presumably didn't know two, and guessed. ThenI didn't really notice in what way the right answers differed from mine.)

But I suspect I'd get 15/15 on the third attempt. (Now that those double Ns have been drummed into my brain.)
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Moonbean wrote: »
    14/15. I don't think I've ever written the word 'minuscule' before, so I put 'miniscule', thinking of mini being small. Oh well, you learn something new every day! :)

I got 14/15 and I fell for the miniscule as well.:D
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    11/15 for me!

I think I would have got them all correct if I was actually writing them in a sentence, however, when I see the correct spelling against 2 other incorrect spellings, I start to question myself?!!!!

Same here. :p
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 13/15 - doubted myself on a few and ended up picking the wrong ones. I am surprised some of them are on the list, I thought they were quite easy (psy... Being one of them, dotted for those that have not done it!), but a few I felt were definitely worthy of that list!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    12/15
  • anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10/15. English is not my first language, but never thought I would get wrong the words I got.

The words I got wrong are,

1. Mischievous
    2. Graffiti
    3. Minuscule
    4. Pronunciation (I have always spelt it Pronounciation, surprised when it turned out wrong)
    5. Millennium