Internet problem

CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need some help. For the past two weeks or more now my internet stops working every night between around 7-9pm. It has been cutting out several times for a few seconds at 11-12pm every night for months, which is annoying but I can live with it at that hour, it's this early evening issue that's driving me mad. It is generally ok throughout the day (though it's just stopped working right before I posted this).

I am using a first version iPad mini so I'm not sure if it's that what is the problem or my router or the connection itself, the main computer tends to stay working when the iPad goes off, which leads me to think it's that, but then my iPhone which is much newer also goes off:confused:.

I have phoned BT several times but besides saying they can see drops on the line they don't seem to be much use, they didn't even phone me back when they said they would, and when I signed up to a new phone contract with them and asked for a new router they said I'd have to pay £50, which I'm not prepared to pay incase it's not that causing the issue.

I have no idea what to do next, I don't know how to find out if it's the iPad that needs replacing, the router, or something else, all I know is I'm fed up of paying for an Internet service that's unreliable and not working properly:( . Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this or how to sort it? BT Infinity isn't an option, it's not available where I am.

Comments

• victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the main computer connected to the router via Ethernet cable? If so then the iPad and phone issue is more likely to be down to a wifi problem. If it only happens at specific times then it's likely to be something that causes interference to the wifi rather than affecting the internet connection.

There are numerous posts on the BT Forums which may help you identify the problem:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Connections-Broadband/ct-p/BB

If at the end of the day you decide a new router is the answer then I certainly wouldn't be paying for a BT one, as you will see from the BT Forums, they are not the most reliable ones out there.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the main computer isn't connected by a Ethernet cable, it's on the wi-fi because it's upstairs whilst the router is downstairs. The only thing I can think of is that the router is not plugged into the main phone socket by the front door, it's in a phone socket in the living room below the TV, but surely that wouldn't make much difference anyway?

Is there a way I find out if there's interference on the line? Something I forgot to say as well, the lights on the router continue to stay steady and blue when the net goes off but if I slide the wifi option on the iPad off then back on it either won't find the network again or takes ages to do so.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the main computer isn't connected by a Ethernet cable, it's on the wi-fi because it's upstairs whilst the router is downstairs.
    If the computer is on WiFi then it should be going off at the same time as the other devices, in theory. However, depending on what kit you have you could in fact have two separate WiFi networks. One on the 2.4GHz band and one on the 5GHz band. If the PC was on the 2.4GHz band and the iPad on the 5GHz band then it is quite possible one could go off while the other works perfectly OK. Especially as 5GHz in general is more easily blocked by walls and floors than 2.4GHz. But even so any dropouts should be random unless there is something causing interference.
    The only thing I can think of is that the router is not plugged into the main phone socket by the front door, it's in a phone socket in the living room below the TV, but surely that wouldn't make much difference anyway?
    If the extension cabling is poor quality or damaged in any way then that can cause problems for the broadband. If it uses the proper grade BT spec cable, is properly installed and in good condition then you should not see a significant hit in performance.

The other thing to ensure is that you use filters on everything that is plugged into the phone line. Not just whatever socket the router is plugged into. In fact the router is the one device that doesn't need a filter!
    Is there a way I find out if there's interference on the line?
    Interference on the phone line should be audible as crackles on the phone. You can dial 17070 which is a test number and select the Quiet Line test which as the name suggests should be a silent line so makes it easier to detect any noises.
    Something I forgot to say as well, the lights on the router continue to stay steady and blue when the net goes off but if I slide the wifi option on the iPad off then back on it either won't find the network again or takes ages to do so.
    Is that the indicator for Broadband or WiFi? If Broadband then that implies the phone line is OK and it is the WiFi signal that is going off.

You can get various utilities to display the WiFi signal on PCs and possibly other devices as well. I've only ever used inSSIDer on a PC so can't comment on any apps for iPhone/iPad or Android devices. But if you find ver 3 (the last free one) of inSSIDer and can install that on the PC it may show what is happening to the WiFi. Or install a similar app on the iPad to check that.

One other thing. If possible try to connect a computer via cable to the router bypassing the WiFi. Then see if that too drops out when the WiFi connected devices drop out. That will give you a pointer as to whether it is a broadband fault or a WiFi fault.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The three lights on the router are the power, broadband and wireless, all three are steady blue which according to BT means there's no problem.

I have tried getting into the router settings to change the channel but it won't load the page. The router itself is a Home Hub 3.0 that BT provided when I set up with them 2 years ago. I don think I have two separate wifi networks but I'm no expert so I'm not at all certain on that.

I will try the phone line test next time it goes off and see if I can find the app you've suggested, thank you:)
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the HH3 is only 2.4 GHz. I have one and am mulling on dumping it for something else as I keep having similar problems, though in my case when one device loses wifi, they all do, and Ethernet is my only fallback to sort it out via Hub Manager.

Note that if any device cannot contact the Hub Manager, then it is more likely a wifi problem than a line problem as the manager is internal to the hub and does not use the Internet in any way for connection as far as I know.

If the PC is continuing when the others stop, then that suggests a problem on your side of the fence, not BT's, even if it is the hub which is causing it, though they may be more sympathetic if you can prove that somehow. However don't try this sort of problem out on their call centre in India, you will just tear your hair out in frustration - use the BT forum.

For checking for other routers around you, inSSIDer is a good bet for Windows as Chris mentioned. On Android there is one called WiFi Analyzer, but I don't know about iPad. However, none of these will show up interference from other electrical sources, only other routers.