Options

News from John Barrowman on 50th Anniversary

2»

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Captain Jack. If anyone was to return from New Who I would've liked to see him.
    Of course you can never say never but it seems to be becoming clear that the one thing that wont happen in the fiftieth will be a mass return of characters that will feature prominently. Doesn't mean their wont be mentions, flashbacks, maybe a voice over or Ten and even a cameo.
    But is it now getting to the point where a Five Doctors style episode is out of the question? I am not sorry if that is the case. Wouldn't have worked anyway.
    just excited to see what Moffat dreams up. It is almost an impossible task he faces so maybe he will just have to go with his vision and not worry about fandom.
    Because lets be honest as far as genre television and film goes the DW fiftieth is probably only comparable with JJ Abrams Star Wars Episode 7 in the poisoned chalice stakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yep. If not the fiftieth then please Moffat...move heaven and earth to get Jack in S8.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jack would be better in a standalone story, as I think he'd be a bit overshadowed by the Anniversary special. I really want to see him again, but in a story where he can properly interact with The Doctor.

Kind of feel this way as well. The only episode that Jack has had a chance to shine in as a character in his returns post series 1 was Utopia, otherwise he has been part of a large ensemble cast given little to do.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    A "Captain Jack Special" set in the Whoniverse, but separate from the Doctor, could work. I'm sure Mr. Barrowman would love that.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a very specific tweet from JB

I remember when someone accused him of lying because he said he wasn't going to be the the DT christmas special.

His reply was that his episode had aired New Year:

I'm wondering if, although he might not be in the episode that actually airs on the date of the anniversary, he might still be in the story arc somewhere :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    A "Captain Jack Special" set in the Whoniverse, but separate from the Doctor, could work. I'm sure Mr. Barrowman would love that.

A stand-alone spin-off with Jack?

We could call it... "Torchwood."

;)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Jack should be in the 50th but for Series 8, a new male companion (not as a love interest for Clara) would be preferable.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A stand-alone spin-off with Jack?

We could call it... "Torchwood."

;)

Can't see it working myself... :D
  • Options
    GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I don't know why Captain Jack should be considered for the 50th anyway really, I mean is Sabalom Glitz going to be appearing?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gillray wrote: »
    I don't know why Captain Jack should be considered for the 50th anyway really, I mean is Sabalom Glitz going to be appearing?

That would be good, as long as he doesn't bring his girlfriend.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Moffat said it's an understanding of the Doctor not just a lot of past characters returning. In the grand scheme of things what was the importance of Captain Jack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    Also Moffat said it's an understanding of the Doctor not just a lot of past characters returning. In the grand scheme of things what was the importance of Captain Jack?

I though the episode Utopia gave a good insight into the Doctor's personality, about him deliberately leaving Jack on the Games Station, lying to Rose, being 'prejudiced' against him, yet still using Jacks ability at every opportunity.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    Can't see it working myself... :D

:D

Yeah. I give it no more than four series and that'll be it! :D

Seriously, I do think there's room for a non-Torchwood Captain Jack one-off. What's happened to him since the snorefest that was Miracle Day. Or even a look at his earlier life in Edwardian or Victorian times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, I do think there's room for a non-Torchwood Captain Jack one-off. What's happened to him since the snorefest that was Miracle Day. Or even a look at his earlier life in Edwardian or Victorian times.

There were the post Miracle Day BBC TW audios
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tweet from JB ,

someone tweeted

"I wonder if @Team_Barrowman said 'Dr WHO' because he'll turn around and say 'but I'll be in Doctor Who!"

JB replied "'no tricks :) jb"

https://twitter.com/Team_Barrowman/statuses/316221241503645697
  • Options
    drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Thank god! Totally agree re "variety" - good point. Would be ideal on Blackpool pier 1978.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Four series over six years might be better... Can't have too much Jack now.

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »

I always thought Captain Jack was so much more than just a companion. His relationship to the Doctor was a complex and interesting one. He was like Han Solo to the Doctors Obi Wan- a petulant cowboy who started off without a care in the world and who treated things as a game but who grew as a character to realise the gravity of his actions and place in the universe. And that reached its horrible end point at the close of Children of Earth. I know we got a salute in The End of Time but I always wanted to see the Doctor with Jack again and them having a chance to talk about the events of COE, a slightly changed Jack who was more than just a cause for the Doctor to tut and raise his eyebrows. I like the idea of Jack being a constant, much like the Brig was. A friend and allie for the Doctor even when all other companions move on or meet a doomed end. It gives the whoniverse some added something.

I am biased though as for me it was with the arrival of Jack in S1 that New Who really finally clicked and I fell in love with the show again. Think of a season 1 with no Jack and it would be a very different show indeed. And a much poorer one.