Brian Dowling is dying a death. Enough already

Comments

• WinsomeWinsome Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Davina wants to return to BB, she has a couple of shows now now, a quiz show and got to dance, and appears to be happy with it. She has moved on :)
  • Pretty GreenPretty Green Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Chav Willis? Thanks but no thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davina did her job really well, and you could NEVER tell that she was reading from the autocue, and she was respected. You can see Brian reading the autocue, he can't control the crowds or housemates, and he doesn't have the star quality that Davina did!

I don't know about reading from the autocue, but Davina was terrible for flipping through her cue cards during interviews. Sometimes you could tell that she wasn't hearing a word the person said she was so busy looking through them for her next question. Though of course Zizzi will always be my favourite.

Zizzi: "How are you feeling now that you are out?"

Housemate: .....talks at length about their feelings while Zizzi looks vacant...

Zizzi: "Oh right, great. And how are you feeling now that you are out?"
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it - he's cheap, so he suits C5 .
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    I doubt Davina wants to go back to BB now. She has other projects and has made her fortune from hosting it for 10 years. She never comments on the Channel 5 series in the media. I think she's over it to be honest.

No I don't believe that! :p She still loves BB in her heart! Oh, and I don't think she's allowed to comment on it. Although if you watched M£D mash up episode, she said "loving it loving it" (corin) and then she said, "awwww that reminds me of big brother :(:("
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about reading from the autocue, but Davina was terrible for flipping through her cue cards during interviews. Sometimes you could tell that she wasn't hearing a word the person said she was so busy looking through them for her next question. Though of course Zizzi will always be my favourite.

Housemate: .....talks at length about their feelings while Zizzi looks vacant...

LMAOOOOO! Is that the BBLB girl? She did get a lot of hate! :D That post seriously cracked me up
  • BrigBee10BrigBee10 Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Emma Chav Willis? Thanks but no thanks.

Since when is Emma a chav?
  • LostindexLostindex Posts: 2,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is the most useless presenter ever he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He is wooden, robotic,boring,and so unfunny. Davina over him any day !!!
  • Dutch MarleneDutch Marlene Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at the beginning I thought let's give him a chance so I thought he did okay but recently I've watched some old BB's with Davina and she was so natural. Like she was your friend and I loved her jokes. She made me laugh.Brian is the opposite of natural. He puts on a weird little voice and makes jokes that are not funny at all.

Nice guy but I miss Davina.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    To be fair to Brian, the BB Live show, with that loud and boisterous crowd, is one of the tougher presenting gigs and quite a few presenters with much, much more experience than Brian would also struggle and stumble from time to time. Eviction night is fairly "seat of the pants" stuff, and always gives the impression that it could all spiral out of hand at any minute

That's why, however much one might criticize Davina's interviews, she was pretty good at the actual hosting in front of the crowds without getting massively distracted and lost. I read a recent Q & A where she said on BB1 the crowds at Three Mills were so loud she couldn't hear herself (probably no loopback earpiece), which is why she ended up developing the very 'shouty' style we know her for, because she forgot that with a powerful microphone in your hand you don't actually need to shout into it (anyone who has tried to carry on a conversation while listening to their iPod* will know of the tendency to raise ones voice so as to hear what one is actually saying!)

* - Being somewhat of an old git, I was going to put Walkman, but figured few would know what one of those was nowadays :D
  • kezabellakezabella Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »
    I prefer Brian to Davina. His interviews are much better.

I was bored of Davina and her gurning!

i agree.She would comstantly laugh or smirk at her own quips and she was sycophantic to the extreme...shit post eviction interviews.
    As for Brian,good interviews but shit presenting
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davina,how many times did that berk say im loving it or loving it at the launch?
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    He's awful....how has he been hired to present 3 series of the show now? He would have been better as a head panelist on BBOTS or a presenter, he is fine when he is having an unscripted chat but when he is following an autoque he is unbelievably wooden. how many times did he say 'I like IT' in response to a celebs answer on launch night, about 40 times? Terrible.. he must seriously have some close friends on the production team to be able to keep the job this long.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is the Ultimate Big Brother housemate, he never got a nomination, he was wiity and funny in the house so what on earth happened to him. He is less in depth and more inept. I have it on good authority that the reason that he was picked was he was the cheapest.

He did get nominated, that's an urban legend. He never faced eviction.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Brian started I was very open minded about it even though I have always said the show should be hosted by either a female host or 2 hosts sharing the stage to play off against each other.

Now after 1 full series of normal BB and this second series of CBB I have made up my mind,he is complete total and utter crap at hosting the eviction show.

Hes not natural like Davina was and she was decent from series 1.
    He doesnt put any true excitement into the show,Davinas body language and voice seemed to have the excitement needed for a live show.
    His eviction interviews are ..well dull would be a nice way of describing them.
    He seems to have no control and little connection with the audience,with the hm and the viewers.

Wooden and repetitive come to mind when I analyse his performance so far.

But who to replace him..Davina wont come back,too many people feel Emmas blew her chance..I supose it could be worse..the thought of Lauren Harries,Jamie whatshisname or Josie hosting is the stuff of nightmares.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SG-1 wrote: »
    When Brian started I was very open minded about it even though I have always said the show should be hosted by either a female host or 2 hosts sharing the stage to play off against each other.

Now after 1 full series of normal BB and this second series of CBB I have made up my mind,he is complete total and utter crap at hosting the eviction show.

He doesnt put any true excitement into the show,Davinas body language and voice seemed to have the excitement needed for a live show.
    He seems to have no control and little connection with the audience,with the hm and the viewers.

But who to replace him..Davina wont come back,too many people feel Emmas blew her chance..I supose it could be worse..the thought of Lauren Harries,Jamie whatshisname or Josie hosting is the stuff of nightmares.

Omg. Could you imagine Channel 5 giving Lauren Harries a live slot on a prime-time show... She'd be more entertaining than Brian at least though I fear the show would be taken off the air again.

He is very dull. And the connection thing is a real problem, his presenting is poor but his interviews are even worse. He doesn't seem to know how to react to people and everything seems forced. He makes Davina seem like a true professional which is hard to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Alice is better than Emma.

No she's not. Her diction is appalling - I can hardly understand a word she says, or rather, mumbles.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    SG-1 wrote: »

How did she blow her chance? They just chose Brian because he won UBB and is cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaymb72 wrote: »
    My God.

Did you see the twitter abuse directed at Brian Dowling? Apalling. So much negativity directed towards the poor guy I was shocked. I really like Brian ( here's the hypocritical part )but he is an awful, awful presenter. He just doesn't get any better does he?

I think the crux of the matter is that he just can't read an autocue. Davina was superb at reading the autocue but she annoyed me. It's only when you see someone like Brian making a pigs ear of it that you actually appreciate how good Davina was.

Channel 5 need to sort this out now once and for all. Emma needs to get the gig a.s.a.p. She would be superb and she deserves it. Alice can present BOTS no problems as she is also very talented. Brian, well, I just don't know. Good as a housemate but we need to move on now.

Please sort it out now channel 5 for the summer BB.

It can't go on. Put the poor lad out of his misery.

Is it autocue? I always thought it was 'in ear'. Agree that Emma Willis would be superb. I don't understand why so many people seem to disliker her.

Can't believe I have been reminded about Zizzi. Wow. :eek: I had blocked that out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did she blow her chance? They just chose Brian because he won UBB and is cheaper.

I keep reading that Brian is cheaper. How much money is he getting? I must have missed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first CBB season and he was dreadful. Plus the fact that he's lost the twink looks and put on weight.

Swap him with Emma or bring in Kate 'OKTV' Walsh.
  • Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan121 wrote: »
    All i want is a presenter who will ask the questions we want answered, rock the boat. His interviews are non events.

I think Brian does ask the questions we want to know. He is much better at the interviews than Davina ever was.

If you are talking about Brian's interview with Andrew last night, he did say on BOTS that he didn't ask most of the questions he was going to as he could see Andrew was very emotional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »
    I think Brian does ask the questions we want to know. He is much better at the interviews than Davina ever was.

If you are talking about Brian's interview with Andrew last night, he did say on BOTS that he didn't ask most of the questions he was going to as he could see Andrew was very emotional.

Yes. Having a presenter that can think on his feet is an asset to the show. It's not the point of the show or the interview to be cruel to the evicted housemate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian has genuine enthusiasm for the show and I like his chatty style of interviewing. But reading the autocue - that's where he falls down. I can't help but feel he'd be much better employed hosting a Big Mouth-type free for all show, where he basically ad libs.