Bunion surgery aftercare...help!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Hi - I'm kinda new to this, looking for some advice. Had bunions removed on both feet 6 weeks ago and I can't move my toes, I'm walking like a duck!! Anyone got any ideas? Maybe I need physio?? Help!!!!!!!:eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, ginantonic, I'm afraid you need to go see your gp tomorrow, noone is going to be able to tell you exactly what you need to know here. Best of luck and welcome to DS :D
  • lifesabeach11lifesabeach11 Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ginantonic wrote: »
    Hi - I'm kinda new to this, looking for some advice. Had bunions removed on both feet 6 weeks ago and I can't move my toes, I'm walking like a duck!! Anyone got any ideas? Maybe I need physio?? Help!!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry but can i asked you some advice whats the op like
    I have a big bunion but have never been in hospital before and i think maybe i should just put up with it
  • moondrops1moondrops1 Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surgical Aftercare and Recovery

It is now very rarely necessary to put the foot into any type of plaster after the operation, and there are seldom wires sticking out of the foot. You get up and walk with a “post op shoe” (a type of firm soled sandal which fits over the dressings) and crutches for a period of usually about 4- 6 weeks.

In the first week or so after surgery it is important to keep the foot up as much as possible, to reduce the swelling of the foot, lessen the chances of problems with the wound and reduce the need for pain-killers.

At around 2 weeks you will return to clinic for removal of stitches, and will be shown how to begin to exercise the foot and toe.

You will usually be able to return to walking without crutches or a special shoe at about 6 weeks, but no running, jumping or similar activities are allowed for the first 3 months after the operation. The swelling of the foot usually continues to improve for several months after the operation, so don’t rush straight out to by new shoes! In some cases your doctor may refer you to a physiotherapist who will help you to regain movement in your toe, and help you regain the mobility you had before your operation. If you are slower than these times do not panic as they are only guidelines, but do let your surgeon know when you attend clinic.

Possible complications/risks

Most cases go smoothly and about 80-90% of cases are judged by patients to have been a success. There are, however, always risks of complication when doing any surgery. In bunion surtgery these include the following:
    Failure to improve the position or symptoms
    Recurrent bunion, over-correction (toe points inward), or stiffness of the big toe
    Infection
    Injury to nerves (numb or hypersensitive toe)
    Weight transfer to the 2nd toe, causing pain elsewhere in the foot
    Bone not healing, or screws becoming prominent and requiring removal
    General surgical / anaesthetic complications such as blood clots
    If you are at particular risk of complication, this will be discussed with you. If you have any specific worries, you should discuss these with the doctor treating you
    How do I know if I have a complication?

Many of the problems become obvious with time (i.e. recurrence etc), however you should notify a doctor if you get an increase in your pain or swelling after you go home which does not settle with rest, elevation and mild pain killers, as this may indicate an infection
    You will be seen in an outpatient clinic in the weeks following your surgery to enable your doctor to monitor your progress
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Sorry but can i asked you some advice whats the op like
    I have a big bunion but have never been in hospital before and i think maybe i should just put up with it

Hi lifesabeach11 - unless your bunion really hurts and you can't find shoes that are comfortable (and that aren't too gross) I would say put up with it. If it's causing you pain, first of all go and see your gp. As there are over 100 different types of bunion op, he would be the 1st stop, as some of the ops are much easier and less painful than others. If it's a simple one, they can do it with local anaesthetic and you go home the same day. If it's a general, most people are sent home after a few hours if it's only 1 foot. Hope this helps!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi - thanks for the info, I also got that off the net before I had the op, but thanks anyway. I am looking for info about physio/exercises I can do to help get the mobility back in my feet, as my local gp practice are unable to suggest anything, and I can't find anything online.:confused:
  • lifesabeach11lifesabeach11 Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi lifesabeach11 - unless your bunion really hurts and you can't find shoes that are comfortable (and that aren't too gross) I would say put up with it. If it's causing you pain, first of all go and see your gp. As there are over 100 different types of bunion op, he would be the 1st stop, as some of the ops are much easier and less painful than others. If it's a simple one, they can do it with local anaesthetic and you go home the same day. If it's a general, most people are sent home after a few hours if it's only 1 foot. Hope this helps!:)

Thank you:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi - thanks for the info, I also got that off the net before I had the op, but thanks anyway. I am looking for info about physio/exercises I can do to help get the mobility back in my feet, as my local gp practice are unable to suggest anything, and I can't find anything online.:confused:

www.tallahasseepodiatry.com/?go=qa&article=5
    Picking up a pencil with your toes and scrunching a dish towel are also recommended.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don' you ring your consultant's secretary on Monday and tell her what's happening. Your consultant can then arrange for you to have physio if he/she thinks you need it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi Ginantonic, I haven't heard any response about your condition. I am hoping the pain is gone already hence it's 7 years now. I would like to us you if you haven't felt any pain after 3 years? because my dad had a removable of screw after 3 years and shaving bone.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, "ginantonic" only ever made 15 posts - all in 2008 - so don't expect a reply from him/her.