Leon Brittan has died

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    Will they though?

There'll be more than him involved in any alleged cover-ups. Probably have to wait until 50% of the House of Lords dies before we even get a sniff of what really happened.
    But allegations about him are 'fair game' as you can't libel the dead
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if people gave it a few days before coming out with the conspiracy theories and personal slurs, at least for the sake of his family.

Yep. Fair enough.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    RIP, but this is how I will remember him - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYBR00C19w
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if people gave it a few days before coming out with the conspiracy theories and personal slurs, at least for the sake of his family.

A member of one of the nastiest governments in our history......................so no sympathy from me.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    RIP, but this is how I will remember him - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYBR00C19w

Sympathy from me i cannot hate anybody even if i disagree with their political views.

But yes this sketch is a classic one,and really close to the truth it hurts i will also remember him by that.

And i liked Douglas Hurd with the ice cream cone on his head,and also Kenneth Baker as a slug.:D:D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will they though?

There'll be more than him involved in any alleged cover-ups. Probably have to wait until 50% of the House of Lords dies before we even get a sniff of what really happened.

Yeah but being dead and having been widely named on the internet could make him a convenient scapegoat - especially since he alone was handed the disappearing dossier, it would be relatively easy to manufacture a one man conspiracy.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sympathy from me i cannot hate anybody even if i disagree with their political views.

Not even Hitler?
  • Options
    Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is how I will remember him, too. I didn't care much for the man, personally. Paying homage to his caricature is the best way to remember him.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would be nice if the likes of Cyril Smith had been outed as a paedophile before he died ... I have some sympathy for the recently bereaved, but a lot more sympathy for people who were abused over 30 years ago but who's abusers have escaped justice.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    But allegations about him are 'fair game' as you can't libel the dead

Yes.

Just be careful what you carry through customs.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    The papers have started printing stuff which they wouldn't have done 24 hours ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11363027/How-Leon-Brittans-final-years-were-tarnished-by-lost-paedophile-dossier.html

This could get very interesting!
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But yes this sketch is a classic one,and really close to the truth it hurts i will also remember him by that.

And i liked Douglas Hurd with the ice cream cone on his head,and also Kenneth Baker as a slug.:D:D

That was classic television, which I doubt could be done today :)

On topic though, I suspect that some of the scum newspapers that we have will wallow in any dirt they can find, irrespective as to its authenticity.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Not sure why there should be any heat, the same lady now making accusations for compensation denied years back that anything of a sexual relationship nature occurred
    Stop repeating that please, she did not say anything, it was a legal disclaimer in the Mail.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even Hitler?

I hate what he did but a person i did not know i cannot hate.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Maybe the truth will now emerge ...the dead can't threaten or sue.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably have to wait until 50% of the House of Lords dies before we even get a sniff of what really happened.

About five years to wait, then.

Never liked him. Those slitty eyes reminded me of David Mellor, kind of "noone's going to know what I really think.".
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He takes with him, to the grave, vital knowledge about potential Parliamentary paedophillia.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes.

Just be careful what you carry through customs.

Is this a story I missed ?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Stop repeating that please, she did not say anything, it was a legal disclaimer in the Mail.

I will repeat what I like thank you as I told you before the Mails recent story has sod all to do with what she said years back or her compensation claim now or the book she is writing. They have already retracted the claims that she met with the Queen.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha Life peerage whats it worth
    Keeping your mouth shut is the right answer
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "In October 2014, a Labour MP used parliamentary privilege to refer to claims that Brittan had himself been linked to child abuse. In a debate on the 1984 miners' strike, Jim Hood MP was reported to have said: "By the way, the current exposé of Sir Leon Brittan [sic], the then Home Secretary, with accusations of improper conduct with children will not come as a surprise to striking miners of 1984
    Rape allegation

In June 2014, Brittan was interviewed under caution by police in connection with the alleged rape of a 19-year-old student in his central London flat in 1967, before he became an MP. He was not arrested, and The Independent on Sunday reported that he declined to discuss the allegation. In a statement on 7 July 2014, the Conservative peer said about these claims: "It is true that I have been questioned by the police about a serious allegation made against me. This allegation is wholly without foundation"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Brittan#Rape_allegation

The BBC made a docu/drama about the Home Secretary having sex with underage girls, whilst Leon Brittan was Home Secretary. Margaret Thatcher slapped a D Notice on the BBC forbidding the broadcast
    The programme was eventually transmitted when they were no longer in power
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll said.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not only that whilst many are busy speculating what he did with said dossier why are they not jumping up and down about the dossier given to the DPP Sir Thomas Hetherington in August 1983 (before he handed Leon Brittan a dossier in the November) mentioned in an interview which can be seen here

https://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/eight-top-names-on-my-list-of-shame-25-8-83/