PMQ's 28/01/215

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Dennis Skinner once again makes Labour realise how rubbish Miliband is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron is just NASTY.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, people are queuing up for jobs according to Dave!
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    And Dennis Skinner once again makes Labour realise how rubbish Miliband is.

Hardly. Cameron dealt with Skinner a lot better than he did with Milband.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed slowly changing Labour into a single issue party
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see it as an issue if he did say it because in reality they all weaponise the NHS at election time.

I know. We all know. Nobody believes a word any of them says. But instead of scaremongering and trading statistics. How about they actually do something that'll actually benefit the electorate?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    After that exchange, I'm more convinced than ever that the NHS needs to be completely removed from political hands.

I'm not sure how it can be completely divorced. I recently heard stats suggesting one in every sixteen jobs in the country is related to the NHS and that it's something like the fourth biggest employer on the planet.

Whether that make it too big to be used as a political football or too big not to from a party political perspective is a good question.
    It should be removed but I can't see the parties ever wanting to let something that big go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are there any other issues in this country at the moment other than sick people?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Never mind the academics.."

Will have to remember that one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are there any other issues in this country at the moment other than sick people?

Apparently it's holocaust memorial business that both all agree on. NHS that the conservatives are going to destroy but the conservatives don't agree. A bit of banks/cost of living. other than that there's nothing else we're interested in. The usual plant about "X number of jobs have been created in my constituency" is expected soon. Other than that nothing else is happening.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Cameron ever answered a question at PMQ's ? The insults he was shouting today is not befitting a Prime Minister
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron cannot pace either his voice or his temper for a period of 30 minutes.

What will happen towards the end of a 2 hour session of uncomfortable truths/baiting (you decide) is something we have yet to discover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cameron not directly answering questions on the NHS, preferring instead to bait Ed about him wanting to weaponize it plays to Cameron's argument because Ed doggedly persists on the same theme.

Ed should think on his feet and change the subject because I'm struggling to think of the last question he put at PMQs that wasn't on this subject. Ed's beginning to sound like a stuck record because he's letting Cameron play him.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    Has Cameron ever answered a question at PMQ's ? The insults he was shouting today is not befitting a Prime Minister

He does let himself down at PMQs quite often in terms of statesmenship I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Cameron cannot pace either his voice or his temper for a period of 30 minutes.

What will happen towards the end of a 2 hour session of uncomfortable truths/baiting (you decide) is something we have yet to discover.

With the number of people likely to be on that podium he'll struggle to get ten minutes to speak let alone thirty so I wouldn't worry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven more to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Seven more to go.

...and unlikely to be magnificent I fear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think it would damage EM if he said "Yes I used the term" but added something like "Because the NHS is worth weaponising".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    ...and unlikely to be magnificent I fear.

More "circles of hell" than "magnificent" I feel.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely we can get to the bottom of this Weaponization thing?
    George Osborne's biographer and closest political friend, Janan Ganesh is a guest on the Sunday Politics show every single week.

All that is required is for Andrew Neil to ask Ganesh to confirm that Osborne was using the "disgusting" word Weaponization to describe his own tactics as applied to sensitive political areas.
    And that Osborne started doing that several years before an unconfirmed report that Miliband had used the word.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think it would damage EM if he said "Yes I used the term" but added something like "Because the NHS is worth weaponising".

Then it would remove any doubt that he's an opportunist and torpedo his claims about the conservatives wanting to privatise it. Those floating voters (the ones who decide elections) who are drifting towards labour on the basis of the nhs will disappear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You wouldn't think so particularly when it's basically true give or take the exact wording he may have used.

Same can be said when the tories get slated about missing things like immigration targets. "Yes we missed the (insert word: aspirational) target but that's not to say it's not a worthy aspiration to pursue."
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Cameron needs to back off from this angle of "weaponising" - however hot he gets under the collar he gets about it, I can't see it being a key issue for most people. Besides. Miliband and Burnham are more than capable of undermining their own NHS strategy long before we get to May.

The idea that next 6 weeks will just be re-runs of this week is truly depressing.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Surely we can get to the bottom of this Weaponization thing?
    George Osborne's biographer and closest political friend, Janan Ganesh is a guest on the Sunday Politics show every single week.

All that is required is for Andrew Neil to ask Ganesh to confirm that Osborne was using the "disgusting" word Weaponization to describe his own tactics as applied to sensitive political areas.
    And that Osborne started doing that several years before an unconfirmed report that Miliband had used the word.
    :)

I cant believe that a discussion over something as important as the NHS has descended into this tedious spat - the calibre of the politicians on offer is dire at the moment.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Harman didn't look very fired up today. Seemed rather passive I thought. Ed Balls doing his normal finger pointing.

I think it's clear Ed is putting all of Labours eggs into the NHS basket. He's in big trouble if that gamble doesn't pay off. I'm not sure what else he has left.

And they also keep banging on privatisation business when Labour themselves do not even have a shining track record on that area, as the statistics below shows ( source GF):

http://order-order.com/2015/01/28/watch-angry-burnhams-newsnight-nightmare/

Labour is just shameless and hopeless.