Do the titles and theme tune need refreshing?

2»

Comments

• GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Titles and music are fine by me.

What I would change is the TARDIS interior. I really don't like the dirty steampunk/"made from 20thC rubbish" look. Give me gleaming white hi-tech any day, or even the wood-panelled control room we saw briefly once.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    As with every other aspect, it's only the ones that object that make noise. Those who are content don't rouse themselves.
    I like the theme and visuals, don't have a problem with them at all.

To be fair, I'm responding to a thread that someone else set up to discuss the opening credits and theme tune.

I don't like the new musical arrangement and I'm not keen on the new credits. If you do, that's fine.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I've never liked the current titles and theme arrangement!

I think they need to recreate the mysteriousness of the programme through the music paricularly as the Doctor has decided to continue in more clandestine way. I think RTD got a good balance in 2005 between modern and 70s style (which are probably the most iconic). The current theme for me is too epic (particular the intro - that really annoys me!) and the credits, I really don't know but they are just not right but I can't say why! Is it the cloud, the lightning??

Anyway, a fresh arrangement and credits would be very welcome and I agree with CHJ, bring back the middle eight!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm responding to a thread that someone else set up to discuss the opening credits and theme tune.

I don't like the new musical arrangement and I'm not keen on the new credits. If you do, that's fine.

Uh, okay. Thanks. But I'm wondering slightly if you misunderstood what I meant, or if I'm misunderstanding you.

I'm not saying anything about whether either side is correct, just that TheSilentFez was wondering why everyone seems to have complaints - it's just because those who think there should be changes have more to say on the subject, and are more motivated to say it. The poll results seem fairly well-matched.
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying anything about whether either side is correct, just that TheSilentFez was wondering why everyone seems to have complaints - it's just because those who think there should be changes have more to say on the subject, and are more motivated to say it. The poll results seem fairly well-matched.

I think this thread is pretty well balanced too - some people love it, some people hate it. But I don't think the haters are any louder!:)
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I've never liked the current titles and theme arrangement!

The current theme for me is too epic (particular the intro - that really annoys me!) and the credits, I really don't know but they are just not right but I can't say why! Is it the cloud, the lightning??

Anyway, a fresh arrangement and credits would be very welcome and I agree with CHJ, bring back the middle eight!

I have to agree DoctorQui. I've been listening to all the opening themes and i'm not a music expert but this current theme and titles only inspire me to go get my cup of tea in the kitchen.

The tempo is too slow and all the crashes and lightening strikes distract & dilute from the underlying theme music.The opening titles font is silver but doesn't move like quicksilver.
    Doctor Who has gone ommphapha!

Give me the nu Season 4 theme and I can get excited.Give me the blue time vortex against a Blue Tardis hurtling through it every time.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I thought the 4th series theme was the best. This latest theme and titles is the worst (IMO) - lightening/clouds and a weird choral orchestration?? WTF??
    To be honest - my favourite theme was the 80's version by Peter Howell! The first major re-vamp since 1963....and it was a success!
    This travesty of 2010/11 is a total mess!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the 4th series theme was the best. This latest theme and titles is the worst (IMO) - lightening/clouds and a weird choral orchestration?? WTF??
    To be honest - my favourite theme was the 80's version by Peter Howell! The first major re-vamp since 1963....and it was a success!
    This travesty of 2010/11 is a total mess!:cool:

Is that the Peter Davison one with the electric guitar ? Thats cool.
    Forum Member

It was a success for sure, it really worked when, if you compare it to original, it shouldn't have!

My favourite will always be the Tom Baker theme and titles (74-80) but the Howell theme was good!

Never really liked the star field titles though...they weren't whooshy enough for me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite will always be the Tom Baker theme and titles (74-80) but the Howell theme was good!
    !

I do get a tingle for the Tom Baker theme purely nostalgic I think as reminds me when we first got a colour TV and lying on the sofa watching my first doctor Tom (and Lalla)
    Forum Member
    I do get a tingle for the Tom Baker theme purely nostalgic I think as reminds me when we first got a colour TV and lying on the sofa watching my first doctor Tom (and Lalla)

That was my golden era:D I have such happy memories of watching DW back then.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my golden era:D I have such happy memories of watching DW back then.:)

Tom WAS the Doctor back then - he had such a presence - pure charisma for children
    Forum Member

Oh yes . . . I remember every Saturday evening being frightened silly just by the opening credits!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »

What I would change is the TARDIS interior. I really don't like the dirty steampunk/"made from 20thC rubbish" look. Give me gleaming white hi-tech any day, or even the wood-panelled control room we saw briefly once.

I agree. The old style interior looked the part.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

I'm in two minds about this. In general I like the current interior, but I do find some of the junk on the console a little too random.

As for the current titles and theme tune, I like them. However, I always look forward to them being overhauled.
    Forum Member
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    I agree. The old style interior looked the part.

The old console matched the old series. Cheap, restrictive and poorly-lit.

The current layout is great, regardless of the style - having the multiple levels and angles to shoot from really makes a huge difference, the 2005 Tardis set was always limited on that front.

But I would agree that the junk shop console seems to be trying a little too hard to be 'wacky' and 'eccentric'.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Oh yes . . . I remember every Saturday evening being frightened silly just by the opening credits!

I remember watching it at my Grandads house in 1974, I had been so used to JP and his credits, the first part of Robot came on and the slightly altered credits when (it seemed to me, a 6 year old) BANG Tom Bakers face suddenly appeared and I jumped so much and dropped my tea on the floor. I just remember my family laughing at me!:o
    Forum Member

The current layout is great, regardless of the style - having the multiple levels and angles to shoot from really makes a huge difference, the 2005 Tardis set was always limited on that front.

But I would agree that the junk shop console seems to be trying a little too hard to be 'wacky' and 'eccentric'.

You're right it was a very limited set back then, you would occasionally get a main door view of the console but that was it.

I love the multi-layer console room, I'm ok with the low level lighting BUT I hate the console itself, the steam punk,randomness of it just shouts 'Blue Peter Competition WInner' to me. I do try not to focus on it but every now and then you get sight of the type writer or the water taps and I think WTF is the Moff doing!

You could quite easily keep the whole layout of the console room but have a more futuristic complicated looking console. Sadly, that wont happen, I would imagine they paid someone a lot of money to come up with that appalling design!!

Less H G Wells Time Machine, more Tardis please Mr Moff.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member

I do like the general layout, multi-level etc, (an improvement on the grunge look) but, as with the others who've commented, I don't like the random rubbish on the console.

Of course, being The Doctor, he could arrange the TARDIS interior any way he likes. With so much to choose from around the Universe, he really must be obsessed with Earth and humans.

Back in the real world, random human rubbish doesn't seem very imaginative.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the general layout, multi-level etc, (an improvement on the grunge look) but, as with the others who've commented, I don't like the random rubbish on the console.

Of course, being The Doctor, he could arrange the TARDIS interior any way he likes. With so much to choose from around the Universe, he really must be obsessed with Earth and humans.

Back in the real world, random human rubbish doesn't seem very imaginative.

I think it gives us more to look at, allowing The Doctor to give a bigger performance when doing simple TARDIS operations. Rather than running around just pressing buttons or flicking switches - there are all kinds of things to mess with.
    Forum Member
    Less H G Wells Time Machine, more Tardis please Mr Moff.

Well, actually I would say more H.G.Wells, to be honest. Less Steptoe and Son. The 2005-2010 console was about the right level of steampunk, I have no problem with pneumatic pumps and oversized levers and hammers. But having things just because they don't look like controls looks to me like they're trying too hard. I mean, ketchup and mustard dispensers? A pinball machine?
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could do with an update, not too keen on the lightning struck Tardis vortex.....kinda liked the vortex opening they had in Matt Smiths first trailers....maybe something like that....and the middle eight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbmMhNe6aA
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    gareth1408 wrote: »
    I personally have never been keen on the Matt Smith version of the titles or the theme - I think they peaked with series 4

series 4 was the best
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The short answer is ... Yes.

The present version is not a patch on the Eccleston era version.
    I'd go as far as to say it's now beaten the Colin Baker era version to be my least favourite.