Silver Linings

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it earlier today, I absolutely loved it and thought it was a really feel good movie. I was surprised by Bradley Cooper's performance as Pat, he played him very well. It's a step in the right direction from playing the typical douchey characters he is known for.

This is the first time I have seen anything with Jennifer Lawrence, may I just say that girl can ACT! She was terrific as the dark, twisted, blunt and head strong Tiffany, she complimented really well with Pat. I really liked Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver's performances as Pat Snr & Dolores Solatano, they really loved Pat despite his troubles.

Jennifer & Bradley's chemistry was brilliant and they worked so well together on screen whenever they had a banter. I felt they underused Chris Tucker & Anupam Kher, although Chris did provide comic relief whenever he was on screen. Mind you the whole cast all worked so well with each other on screen.

What I want to know is what did Pat say to Nikki when he finally meets her at the end?

I would definitely watch it again.

x
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing it

i enjoyed it and blubbed near the end :o

bradley cooper and jennifer were fab
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    This is one of the best films I have seen all year. Looking forward to watching it again.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    B-612 wrote: »
    This is one of the best films I have seen all year. Looking forward to watching it again.

I saw it twice in three days :D I appreciated the story a lot more the second time.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Saw it today and was not disappointed :) Bradley was amazing, but Jennifer stole the show for me.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to see it again.
  • J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in from seeing this and loved it.....Bradley and Jennifer were great :)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't describe it as a romcom, too much violence and aggression for that!
    Liked the way more detail was added about the characters as the film progressed. Lawrence was excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Where was the comedy?

I saw this today and found it a bit of a slog to get through. I couldn't find one character I cared about in the film. I'm really surprised that Robert De Nero appeared in this but I shouldnt be as he seems to be making a lot of tripe films lately.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where was the comedy?

I saw this today and found it a bit of a slog to get through. I couldn't find one character I cared about in the film. I'm really surprised that Robert De Nero appeared in this but I shouldnt be as he seems to be making a lot of tripe films lately.

this is the one film de niro's made lately that's worthy of his talents
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I know it's popular to say at the moment, but having watched it I really rate Jennifer Lawrence, I just put her down as a Kirsten Stewart type actress.
    Forum Member
    I know it's popular to say at the moment, but having watched it I really rate Jennifer Lawrence, I just put her down as a Kirsten Stewart type actress.

You had someone with an Oscar nod at 20 down as another KStew? :eek:
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,089
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think Silver Linings sounds a much better title than Silver Linings Playbook? The real title sounds really odd. I thought iot was just called Silver Linings until i saw a poster and the word playbook is in small letters underneath. Just think Silver Linings as a title has more of a ring to it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What an insult. Jennifter Lawerence is perhaps one of the few decent actresses of her generation.

You'll be telling me Megan Fox is a Meryl Streep type actress next.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    You had someone with an Oscar nod at 20 down as another KStew? :eek:

Don't pay attention to that Oscar rubbish. Just didn't think Jennifer was all that good, having only seen the Hunger Games before SLP - now I do.
    Forum Member
    Don't pay attention to that Oscar rubbish. Just didn't think Jennifer was all that good, having only seen the Hunger Games before SLP - now I do.

I actually thought she was brilliant in THG. Much better than anything KStew has ever produced. I don't think she was perfect because I don't think it's much of an...act-y film (and having seen X-Men and knowing what she's capable of, I think she can get quite lazy with blockbustery films).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Golden Globes nominations are out on Friday. I think we will see a lot of this film in them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    The Golden Globes nominations are out on Friday. I think we will see a lot of this film in them :)

As these are seen as the lead into the Oscar nominations as they are pretty much the same it's likely to get touch competition from some films that haven't evene been released yet but are due too in the next week or three. Like Les Mis for example.

A lot of this will depend on whether they see it as a drama (has a chance) or a comedy (no chance) as well
    Forum Member
    A lot of this will depend on whether they see it as a drama (has a chance) or a comedy (no chance) as well

SLP is in the comedy/musical categories at the Golden Globes :) This will be Brad's best shot at a big award (although Hugh Jackman will probably win) and barring any major upsets, Jennifer has pretty much won best actress in a comedy/musical already.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Silver Linings sounds a much better title than Silver Linings Playbook? The real title sounds really odd. I thought iot was just called Silver Linings until i saw a poster and the word playbook is in small letters underneath. Just think Silver Linings as a title has more of a ring to it.

I agree, I don't understand why 'playbook' is in there. Maybe someone who has read the book has more info on why it's called that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Silver Linings sounds a much better title than Silver Linings Playbook? The real title sounds really odd.

^^ I think that dropping the 'Playbook' part of the title would have been better too.

^^ I'm confused do you rate her as an actress or do you think she is in the same league as Kristen Stewart? :confused:
    What an insult. Jennifter Lawerence is perhaps one of the few decent actresses of her generation.

^^ Agree! She is a brilliant actress and one of the best younger ones out there. Saying she is in the same pool as Kristen Stewart is laughable. She's much better than that!
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Bradley was amazing, but Jennifer stole the show for me.

^^ Pretty much how I saw the acting.

Saw this a few weeks ago. While it isn't one of my favourite films of the year or all time, it was better than I was expecting (especially as it wasn't my choice going to see it). The acting was great, especially the two leads, it's a little humourous in places – making mental illness the subject of a film and trying to make it funny (to an extent) could have been disastrous but it worked out quite well. Parts of it did feel a bit run-of-the-mill and predictable (the ending, the letters etc) but i thought it was pretty good - the person I went with absolutely loved it and didn't have a bad word to say about it . 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to SLP on all their Golden Globe nominations :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only saw this yesterday. Really not convinced that Cooper can act. He uses the same expression in this film to represent various stages of mental and emotional disarray, as he uses in The Hangover to represent various stages of unloveable bastardishness. Lawrence is far better, but she now needs to find a really challenging role otherwise she risks becoming typecast as the fit but feisty girl whose life is changed by blah blah blah etc... De Niro is superb, really on great form in this film.

It's basically romcom meets mental health issues movie meets Dodgeball: quirky, heart-warming, but totally implausible.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this earlier this week. I really enjoyed it. I honestly didn't know quite where it was going to end.

And Patrick and Thingy would have ridiculous good looking children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    My film of 2012. I saw the trailer twice before seeing the film and the first time I got the impression it was a serious film so the second time I saw it, the rom com element that hit me came as a bit of a surprise. I would say it's a blend of both- the second half leaning heavily on the rom more than com.

Having previously only seen JL in THG which I didn't really "get" I was dubious about her but her portrayal of a feisty, vulnerable character was believable and moved me more than BC's. Anyone with any mental health issues shouldn't have an issue with the way the subject was dealt with although I don't think the film breaks any boundaries when it comes to helping people without understand.
    I was unsure how the film was going to end having not quite got it to be rom or serious and thought at one point the tears I had at the end of the film were going to be for a different reason. I would advise anyone to go into it with little ide of a plot as possible.