Should Scottish mps vote on English matters?

Comments

• BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,563
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The answer is simple. Abolish the Scottish Parliament.

Good one! Would be a brave PM who tried that
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The answer is simple. Abolish the Scottish Parliament.
    And scrap the Barnet formula. That'll make them squeal. It was only ever meant to be a temporary measure.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Of course it came down to guts. Almost half the country had the self to confidence to take a risk in the belief that Scot are innately better are governing themselves and prospering for themselves. 55% don't believe that is the case. They didn't believe Scots could govern themselves and prosper.

I absolutely disagree, over 55% of Scots realised that an independent Scotland under the proposed system would have simply been untenable and we would all,have been in the poor house.

Facing Billions in set up costs and thrust out into a world where our finances would be in turmoil was not the best option and we made a choice with our heads rather than our hearts.

The recent fall in oil price has shown this to be a fact already.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Jesus wept - is that the level that you have sunk to? :D:D:D

I'm not sure they manage to get above this level for most of the time. Every hardship ever is carried out by Tories or Aristos, sometimes I feel like I'm trapped in some French Revolution meme......
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I absolutely disagree, over 55% of Scots realised that an independent Scotland under the proposed system would have simply been untenable and we would all,have been in the poor house.

That's just fantasy. That's like me saying every Scot who voted yes made an information choice. You know as well as I do there is a large number of morons on both sides.

The consensus amongst most economists is that Scotland, as independent nation is completely viable.
    Facing Billions in set up costs and thrust out into a world where our finances would be in turmoil was not the best option and we made a choice with our heads rather than our hearts.

You're getting as melodramatic as me!

It really hasn't. Take all oil revenue away and Scotland would viable. You could never rely on oil to make as an independent state, there would have had to have been borrowing in order to fund infrastructure projects to increase employment, revenue and reduce the strain on the state from the unemployed. It wouldn't be easy but even without oil Scotland would still qualify for a strong credit rating.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

wasn't true in September, wouldn't be true now & if anything it would have been westminster in big trouble
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Should Scottish mps vote on English matters?

Sure, if that's what they want to do.
    Irrespective of budgetary factors, principle alone dictates that any legislation to be passed , if not affecting all UK counties, should not be 'voted on' by MPs from countries unaffected by such legislation.

That is completely unacceptable. The crude and archaic first past the post electoral system gives the Conservatives 60% of English seats on 40% of the vote so they get an artificial and unjust majority despite 60% of English voters voting against them.

Either there's a bar of 70% of English MPs required to block legislation for England using the current voting system (meaning it's 50% of the actual vote) or there's got to be wholesale reform of the Westminster voting system.
    Forum Member
    Then again SNP didn't get 50% in Scotland.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    The simple answer isn't always the best.
    If anyone tried it (UKIP used to have it as a policy) then all hell would break loose. Much better just to get rid of all Scottish MPs and let Scotland go about it's own business as a separate country:)

Or simply create an English parliament and reverse the system.

Instead of raising tax's at federal level and dividing it up, why not raise it at country level and pay in to a federation? That's how the EU works.

Scotland has already had a referendum on independence and rejected it. Devo Max and an English parliament is the way forward.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Then again SNP didn't get 50% in Scotland.

They got a majority under a proportional representation system in 2011 and that's not something that either Labour or the Conservatives have ever achieved. Indeed, those two parties are now even finding it difficult to achieve a majority under the current crude and archaic first past the post voting system.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Or simply create an English parliament and reverse the system.

Instead of raising tax's at federal level and dividing it up, why not raise it at country level and pay in to a federation? That's how the EU works.

Scotland has already had a referendum on independence and rejected it. Devo Max and an English parliament is the way forward.

I'd have no objection to that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    The consensus amongst most economists is that Scotland, as independent nation is completely viable.

Although taking into account the current oil prices, if Scotland was independent today, then it would have a £6bn annual hole in its finances.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    There are hardly and England only votes, but the SNP voluntarily doesn't vote on them. .
    By that logic there are very few Scottish only issues. Yet we need a seperate parliament that English MPs cant vote in.
    Forum Member
    They got a majority under a proportional representation system in 2011 and that's not something that either Labour or the Conservatives have ever achieved. Indeed, those two parties are now even finding it difficult to achieve a majority under the current crude and archaic first past the post voting system.
    Your complaint was that a party should get 50% or more, SNP didn't.
    Forum Member
    Although taking into account the current oil prices, if Scotland was independent today, then it would have a £6bn annual hole in its finances.

It wouldn't have been possible for Scotland to be independent today, it would have been 2016 at earliest. As for what the shortfall in finances would be it's impossible to say annually as the oil prices goes up and down. Shortfalls in finances however are more common than for independent countries than uncommon. The UK always runs a shortfall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't have been possible for Scotland to be independent today, it would have been 2016 at earliest. As for what the shortfall in finances would be it's impossible to say annually as the oil prices goes up and down. Shortfalls in finances however are more common than for independent countries than uncommon. The UK always runs a shortfall.

The salient point is that irrespective of the dates, had the vote been a Yes, then there should be no disagreement that many hearts will have leapt into their mouths over the last few months. A point where the SNP is now requiring a bailout from Westminster.
    Forum Member
    The salient point is that irrespective of the dates, had the vote been a Yes, then there should be no disagreement that many hearts will have leapt into their mouths over the last few months. A point where the SNP is now requiring a bailout from Westminster.[/QUOTE]

Sorry? Holyrood receives none of the oil revenue so in what way are Westminster bailing out the SNP?
  • InsanellamaInsanellama Posts: 139
    Forum Member

Who's to say that in the interim period WM wouldn't decide to devolve all taxes to Scotland? With oil at it's current level I could see a WM government, who in this hypothetical situation, would have lost a refferendum looking out for rUK. In that case with record low oil prices it would probably be beneficial politically to just scrap the barnett formula and give Scotland everything it raised, while just taking a set amount for defence and foreign affairs.

In that case even with independence day being in 2016, The Scottish government would have to find the money before that to make up the shortfall. On top of that the start up costs of a new country.

Just because Alex Salmond said 2016 doesn't mean that come independence day everything suddenly switches.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVEL is a virtual irrelevance within the UK that accounts for the less than 2% of bills going through WM that are genuinely England only -- have politicians etc run out of things to say?
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    The salient point is that irrespective of the dates, had the vote been a Yes, then there should be no disagreement that many hearts will have leapt into their mouths over the last few months. A point where the SNP is now requiring a bailout from Westminster.

The last few months have shown why you need an Oil Fund in order to smooth out fluctuations in prices. You also need to ensure adequate investment in the industry rather than squeeze it dry. But let's not dwell on Westminster's mismanagement.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as the rules on voting isn't changed it stays the same
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I briefly caught a clip of Sturgeon talking about the SNP voting in Westminster on English NHS issues because it directly effects the Scottish budget.

Unless I misheard her I'm struggling to follow her logic. Doesn't every decision taken at Westminster have a fiscal impact that effects the size of the slice of the pie she wants to protect for Scotland? By that logic the SNP would have to vote on everything whether it's a devolved power or not wouldn't they?
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    By that logic the SNP would have to vote on everything whether it's a devolved power or not wouldn't they?

I dont think it is really wise to have the SNP and logic mentioned in the same sentence. ;-)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    :D
    The simple answer isn't always the best.
    If anyone tried it (UKIP used to have it as a policy) then all hell would break loose. Much better just to get rid of all Scottish MPs and let Scotland go about it's own business as a separate country:)
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Good one! Would be a brave PM who tried that

They could accept it or leave the UK.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    EVEL is a virtual irrelevance within the UK that accounts for the less than 2% of bills going through WM that are genuinely England only -- have politicians etc run out of things to say?

Ed Miliband would beg to disagree.