Best teaching pro so far this series

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Kevin, he always makes Susanna do a bit by herself and his choreography is AMAZING.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    Kristina surprisingly, I think Ben has come the furthest.

Sophie's going backwards
    Dave hasn't moved, neither has Fiona who has ballet training
    Mark has musicality but hasn't improved
    Ola's not sorting Ashley's shortcomings
    Patrick, Abbey and Natalie could all dance
    Susanna still is heavy footed for me

As the title is who is the best teacher (not best choreographer or best dancer), I think you have got it spot on. And Kristina is one of my least liked pros.

The worst teacher of the year would go IMHO to Brenda (as you say, SEB is going backwards).
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Softly, softly does it :)

I said in another thread, Anya has been so under the radar air-time wise but that's a blessing in disguise as her recognition comes from her talented choreography and dancing rather than an in your face personality.

ETA: Shout out to Aljaz too who is doing an amazing job with another well disciplined student.

Those two exactly, Anya and Aljaž. :)

I would like to add Iveta for her choreography but understand I'm not going to like Mark's tonight performance...
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Softly, softly does it :)

I said in another thread, Anya has been so under the radar air-time wise but that's a blessing in disguise as her recognition comes from her talented choreography and dancing rather than an in your face personality.

ETA: Shout out to Aljaz too who is doing an amazing job with another well disciplined student.

I concur :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark was always going to struggle with rumba and i think he did the best he could. That whole concept was as always brilliant. Just because Mark can't deliever a dance, doesn't mean Iveta cannot teach him. She is working the best way she could with his abilities.
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally I would of said Pasha but I was dissappointed by him this year, simplicity taught well equals a good result and I think pushing someone when they haven't had their basics approved yet is a bad move

Has to be Kristina for me, ever since John she has tailored a dance so well for her celeb
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin and Brendan (although I think Sophie's had a few blips, generally his choreography has suited her and I think he's been very patient too).
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin and Anya. Two new pros.
  • LordsallyLordsally Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping
  • ElanElan Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Kevin!

Aljaz, and Anja.

As above I still love Pashas choreography and teaching usually.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya, Kevin & Aljaz and to be fair Anton has his moments otherwise how did Fiona manage to disguise the mistakes better than Anton.

Anya after last nights performance shows she has taught Patrick some basics rather than just the routine.

Aljaz and Kevin look like they have explained the whys of a routine if not always worked on the detail. Less easy to tell with Abbey as she has had more posed or Aljaz lead routines. The Charleston is really just learned as a whole.
  • AmyokllewAmyokllew Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Kristina is doing well with Ben
  • JosephFanAlisonJosephFanAlison Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anya aljaz and Kevin for me
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya and Kevin
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan. No discussion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    Kristina surprisingly, I think Ben has come the furthest.

Sophie's going backwards
    Dave hasn't moved, neither has Fiona who has ballet training
    Mark has musicality but hasn't improved
    Ola's not sorting Ashley's shortcomings
    Patrick, Abbey and Natalie could all dance
    Susanna still is heavy footed for me

Totally agree with this, Kristina's choreography is by far the best out of all the celebs as well & so much fun to watch even if Ben isn't the best dancer, it helps make him look better but he is one of the only celebs to look like he's improving each week.

Also I really don't think Brendan is doing a good job with Sophie & for me he is the worst! Just have to look at their jive & cha cha the routine just didn't having any oomph & it just seems that Sophie isn't performing as well as she could, just like the judges said
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya and Kevin are currently producing the best results. Both had decent materials to start with.

Kristina is doing well with beautiful but more difficult materials.

Brendan and Anton and Iveta are failing their celebs. Iveta may be being scuppered by the producers though.

Abbey is less consistent, up and down rather than following a straight improvement trajectory. As a first timer though, I think he's doing OK.

Karen has made a sow's ear out of a sow's ear but is excellent at giving Dave basics rather than humiliating him. I also think she's great at supporting him in what must be an emotionally draining experience.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sueh21 wrote: »
    Anya and Iveta

Anya, Iveta and Kristina. Brandon is OK but he needs to tell Sophie the truth not just skirt around the issues. (She is way too laid back)
  • Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Anya. She has worked wonders with Patrick. A couple of weeks ago, I would've said Iveta, but I've not been impressed with Mark over the last two shows, even though I am still rooting for him to improve.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya and Aljaz. Dedicated, clever, committed and talented.

Bottom of the heap - Anton and Brendan. The latter cannot get beyond his appalling ego to even teach his celebs to dance properly.

He is the master of cover up choreography - a combination of flash moves and dragging your celeb around like a parcel.

Time he was exposed for his shallow approach to his work.

Anton is just past it and has been for some time.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Kristina or Anya, with Ola or Iveta in 3rd place.

They have all worked really hard on getting the basics right and now that hard work is starting to show results.

Iveta took a calculated risk last night. Mark's body shape was always going to be a problem in the Rumba and I think she hopes their 'visual' routine would get them through a difficult week. I'm not so sure and didn't vote for them.

Once they can back into hold, Mark's talent will show again, but I don't rate him highly in the same way others do.

Best choreographer this series is a whole different ball game.
  • PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya and Kevin are currently producing the best results. Both had decent materials to start with.

Kristina is doing well with beautiful but more difficult materials.

Brendan and Anton and Iveta are failing their celebs. Iveta may be being scuppered by the producers though.

Abbey is less consistent, up and down rather than following a straight improvement trajectory. As a first timer though, I think he's doing OK.

Karen has made a sow's ear out of a sow's ear but is excellent at giving Dave basics rather than humiliating him. I also think she's great at supporting him in what must be an emotionally draining experience.
    DiamondBetty: What did you make of Pasha's teaching from seeing Rachel's dancing? :)
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But Patrick looked good from week 1. In the first group dance it was clear he had rhythm.

Patrick has natural rhythm, yes. And it must be easier teaching someone who has talent in the first place, I accept that.

But Patrick had a problem projecting that talent into his dance and his earlier ballroom was stiff and awkward. Maybe he's just relaxed into the series now but I think Anya deserves some credit for turning Patrick from a middle of the pack celeb into someone who is capable of delivering on all levels in both Latin and ballroom.

Contrast this with Sophie's experience with Brendan. She too has some innate ability. She too has difficulty projecting it into the dance. She also has some technical issues (she looks floppy and hesitant despite a decent sense of musicality). However, not only is she getting nowhere with correcting these problems, she seems to be getting worse.

When the question in the title says "Which pro is doing the best job this series", how anyone can say it's Brendan is beyond me.

I wouldn't say that Janette was particularly impressive although she had limited resources to work with, but all the other new pros seem to be doing a very decent job.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marinamau wrote: »
    As the title is who is the best teacher (not best choreographer or best dancer), I think you have got it spot on. And Kristina is one of my least liked pros.

The worst teacher of the year would go IMHO to Brenda (as you say, SEB is going backwards).

I think this is all part and parcel of what makes a good teacher. Do they dance to their own standard, or to their celebs? Do they choreograph to their own strengths or to highlight those of their partners?

The latter are assets that signify understanding and instil trust, which is vital for the learning process.

Can you imagine coming away from the judges table having heard your 'coach, mentor, professional partner' being scolded for not adding enough content for your ability? I know I would feel I wasn't trusted and that would definitely make me lose confidence in the partnership. Likewise, if my Pro was told they were making the choreography too complicated, it would suggest they didn't understand me, or were too selfish to care.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst teacher this year would be Pasha for me.

He misjudged Rachel's capabilities and got in a bit of a mess trying to finding her level.

I really like him btw. :)