Options

Sir Bruce Retires!

Comments

• Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,906
    Forum Member
    I don't know if he'd want to do it/could still do it, but I could imagine Matthew Kelly doing the job well, he was a natural at live tv on Stars in their eyes although admittedly that was a while ago :p
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I don't know if he'd want to do it/could still do it, but I could imagine Matthew Kelly doing the job well, he was a natural at live tv on Stars in their eyes although admittedly that was a while ago :p

Good call !!

Add to the wild card pile.

Although he is an Actor now, so maybe wants to leave the stress behind him
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Ian Waite? He was excellent on ITT.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think for 2014 the show should stick with Tess and Claud to lend some continuity and to see if they work as a team over a series rather than the odd week here and there. if they don't then it would be good if the public were given the chance to vote for who should front the show from a list containing an equal number of men and women. Personally I'm sick of the over-representation of men on BBC shows and don't want to see another one fronting Strictly unless he is very good.
  • Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    How about Mr Blobby as host.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that if the BBC decide to go with Tess and Claudia it is because they can't be bothered to find a big name, and that they are going to let Strictly run its course and die a natural death within the next two years. So whilst many may be pleased (Tess ok for me, not Claudia) I do think it would be a bad sign for the show.
  • Options
    IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hallelujah!

It won't be a big upset, the show is much bigger than Forsyth anyway. If anything, he has hindered it in recent years rather than helped it.

Tess and Claudia would be the best shot as Tess doing the main hosting and moving the show along plays to her strengths and Claudia bantering with the contestants in the pit plays to her strength. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If the BBC were insistent on getting a guy in, I'm not sure Alexander Armstrong would throw his hat in the ring. I like him and think he is excellent with Richard on Pointless (his job is to repeat the rules for first time watchers and move the show on if they're running short on time) and has a very personable and kindly manner. I think he is also a genuinely nice guy from what I've heard. But he is from the alternative comedy scene and I have the impression that he did Pointless due to his friendship with Richard and that acting is still his main passion so I don't know if he'd want to throw his hat in the ring.

Graham Norton would be too much with Craig and Bruno and that isn't meant in a horrible way because I like Graham Norton.

Anyone else, no. If they had to go with a guy, I'd say AA but I really want them to go with Tess and Claudia. If Tess quits, then Alexander and Claudia if he wants the job.
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matchmaker wrote: »
    What about Ian Waite? He was excellent on ITT.

Be still my heart....but I think divine Ian is best as a dancer/teacher. The Matthew Kelly idea, however, sounds fun, esp after his divine stint playing a Pro Ballroom Dancer in 'Benidorm'!
  • Options
    Carole_CoxCarole_Cox Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Claudia and Tess would do a fine job, as would Anton
    But I would love to see Bradley Walsh in the spot, or perhaps Karen Hardy
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I honestly think that if the BBC decide to go with Tess and Claudia it is because they can't be bothered to find a big name, and that they are going to let Strictly run its course and die a natural death within the next two years. So whilst many may be pleased (Tess ok for me, not Claudia) I do think it would be a bad sign for the show.

I have to agree with you although I am not keen on Claudia. They are running out of proper celebrities too.

Would like to see someone like John Barrowman or perhaps Anton (he is hopeless with the Latin Dances) - or perhaps someone we haven't heard of.

I would keep Claudia for the results show though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Claudio and Tess have to be in with a shout. They did do the "Sunday night" programme, after all.

Though I suspect that the producers will want the three presenter format to remain.. So I think it is a fair (but not guaranteed) assumption that Claudia would move to the pit and Tess will co present with someone else.

Any one is them just speculation

I wouldn't mind Anton. People have mentioned Zander Armstrong. I hadn't thought of him and he would be a good choice. On a personal note I don't like the idea of Paul O'Grady doing it - but he has had health problems too.

Of all the names mentioned the one that I think is more likely to be in with a shot is Chris Evans. As others have said his bad boy / heavy drinking days are behind him. He has become BBC establishment. (Not only has he increased the audience overall for the flagship Radio Two show he fronts a prime time TV show too).

Certainly capable of holding a live, big audience show as well.

He's also publicly stated he wants the job. Not just a throwaway line on the One a Show, but on the News and his Twitter feed. I suspect that there my be some behind the scenes lobbying as well - he is well respected in broadcast production circles.

Plus, when he threw his hat into the ring, I wonder if some exec didn't think actually that's a possibility.

The race for the Strictly crown has started, the runners and riders will be discussed over the next few months. But rather like the Grand National it could be anyone's race. Tess and Claudia are strong favourites but I wouldn't right Chris Evans off as a total 66/1 outsider either.

I hope you are wrong. Chris Evans would make me switch off.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    If you move to a new town, you can only buy a house that is for sale on that day.

You might drive round leafy lanes pointing out dream homes, but unless they are for sale, you cannot have them.

A huge LIVE TV show needs a very experienced and skilled host to hold it together.
    There are not many names who can do this.

The BBC will not get anyone "new and fresh" - because Strictly's core audience is older. It is too big a risk.

There are obvious (qualified) people who do not seem to have any particular showbizzy background/ pedigree, who would not come to mind as an obvious choice, Chris Tarrant or Noel Edmonds. for example.

Some are simply not signed to the BBC, and hosting Strictly would bar them from working on ITV, so Phillip Schofield, Ant & Dec, Dermot O'Leary, Jonathon Ross

Some are retired, or have health issues, Wogan, Paul O'Grady

The most likely list - like it or not
    Chris Evans
    Graham Norton
    Aled Jones

plus - one wild card mentioned - and I DO like the idea
    Tom Bergeron from DWTS

This is very true. Are there any highly talented presenters on the smaller channels who are approaching al dente? If ever there was an opportunity for such a talent, then here it is.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Halle-ruddy-lujah! About time he shuffled off to wherever it is old hoofers go!

I really can't wait for the new series knowing he (and hopefully his stupid catchphrases) won't be there this year!

As to who replaces him - I don't care - anyone is going to be better than Bruce!
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A sigh of relief from me! I think BF has made the right decision for himself if he wants to keep any credibility.

But who will replace him? No doubt plenty of guessing on here!

I like Claudia, but wouldn't want her to do the whole show with Tess - maybe as a Tess replacement though?

Graham Norton has been mentioned, but he once said he didn't want to do any more reality shows after he did ALW's shows.

Would definitely like to see one of the pro dancers take over, but please not Anton.

Whoever gets the job, it has to be someone who will treat the show and the dancers with respect, unlike the way Terry Wogan introduced the old Come Dancing in a silly sneering way.
  • Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news! I have been waiting for this for several years.

As to who should take over I don't know. But who ever it is will be an improvement.

Graham Norton would probably be my first choice.
  • Options
    AmSalt12AmSalt12 Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    So not gone completely from SCD! Wonder what the "other specials" will be?

I suspect he was 'encouraged' to give up the main show.

Be Christmas shows and Comic Relief one I would expect.

Hope they find someone decent to replace Brucie. Claudia and Tess together is a no no from me.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I know Claudia is there to record the results show but I can't see her wanting to commit to the live shows when she still has young children to think about. I would love her to do it though with either Tess or Anton. I can't see anyone outside of SCD coming in to take over no matter how big of a BBC name they are. I understand people may be apprehensive about Anton but whoever takes over am sure will be heavily moulded by the producers as to this being their big shot so to take note and listen. There will be no excuses for any poor presenting or failure to capture the audience when it's a flagship show and with the media no doubt looking to tear the show apart at the first opportunity.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great Bruce is returning to present some special shows for which will see the end of Strictly as the BBC will eventually pull the plug to save money. That's my vision for of the future. It's a shame, but the carry on over the past few years with the BBC resting shows.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    This is very true. Are there any highly talented presenters on the smaller channels who are approaching al dente? If ever there was an opportunity for such a talent, then here it is.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of live, Entertainment television these days.

Childrens Saturday morning TV is long gone (Ant & Dec, Phillip Schofield, Noel Edmonds, Chris Tarrant, Lenny Henry, Sandi Toksvig all came from there)

Big Brother's Live segments have mostly gone (Davina McCall, Dermot O' Leary, Emma Willis)

Breakfast TV is all news based now, not entertainment based (Chris Evans, Johnny Vaughan and DVO)

Apart from shopping channels and slapper channels, there is little that is LIVE on TV these days
  • Options
    catkins198catkins198 Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Chris Evans or Michael Ball could do a good job.

I said to my husband that who ever took over I would still watch as I am such a big fan of Strictly but in today's Sun paper they mention Lisa Riley. Now she would make me not want to watch
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Steve9214;72050498
    plus - one wild card mentioned - and I DO like the idea
    Tom Bergeron from DWTS[/QUOTE]

Only people in the DWTS subforum on here know who that is. Everyone else in the UK would be :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Riley???? No, just no, I don't care where she is in the betting, no.

Fat chance!

An irritating, sulking competitor who never took any comments or criticism gracefully, who really did pretty much the same dance every week, just in a different costume.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My money absolutely on Paul O'Grady. He is now purveying a cuddly warm persona now he's left Lilly in the locker. Great for making celebrity guests at ease whilst still having wit at his disposal if he wants to use it. Graham Norton is by nature more sarcastic, juvenile and overtly camp and risks unsettling people.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My money absolutely on Paul O'Grady. He is now purveying a cuddly warm persona now he's left Lilly in the locker. Great for making celebrity guests at ease whilst still having wit at his disposal if he wants to use it. Graham Norton is by nature more sarcastic, juvenile and overtly camp and risks unsettling people.

I don't think Paul will do it. Has he not already had 3 heart attacks?
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little worried that if the Beeb do get a new male presenter and continue with Tess (and I like Tess. I've never understood her detractors), then there may not be a place for Claudia. She and Tess only did the 'Sunday' show together as Brucie thought it was too much to stay an extra hour or two after the main show to do it. A new male presenter isn't going to have the same problem.

I would like to see Tess/Claudia trialled for at least the next season before making any decision, but this is the Beeb. They will make sure there is a man at the helm. Assisted by a woman. Because women don't present things on their own (the Sunday SCD was not as big a draw as the Saturday night show; so they didn't care as much about it).

I'm not sure who would be good as a replacement male; whoever it is will draw praise and criticism in equal measures, because no-one is universally liked!