Coronation Street Is Horrible, Terrible, Dreadful, Appalling, Unwatchable...

Comments

• Acejr200Acejr200 Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    He could always go over to the BBC and do Eastenders, he couldn't make that any worse at all

6 months ago, I would have agreed with you, but I have to say, regardless of viewers, i believe Eastenders, and to a slightly lesser extent Emmerdale, are highly superior to corrie at the mo in terms of quality, writing and storytelling IMO.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    For Corrie, the Phelan and Anna stuff was quite well done. Phelan's reaction after Anna left and when Anna returned home her state of mind was very well played. Shame that we had to have the rest of the family over-doing their nauseating 'we love you' show.

I agree, they always have to over egg the pudding. They couldn't just have Anna coming back to them watching the TV, saying her tea was in the microwave and her sitting quietly all night or something. Oh no, they just happen to pick that night to make a special tea to show their appreciation *roll eyes* Too much Corrie, too much. IMO Anna's shell-shocked reaction contrasting nicely with Phelan's elated/smug one was enough, that in itself spoke volumes. We didn't need all the other stuff.

Other than that though I have to say I think Phelan is a cracking villain. I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that it's nice to have a proper villain who isn't a murderer or similar and I completely agree. This is just your general 'bad man' or if you like 'very bad man' and I have a feeling that the actor is relishing the role, lol!

Although the Tina/Peter stuff picked up when Peter went off the rails thinking he had got two women pregnant the lead up just wasn't worth the tedious, repetitive and cringeworthy ("something beautiful") lead up and nor is the stupidity we heard from Tina tonight. Guru Emily spoke some (to Tina) wise words and that's it, she's off on one again totally mistaking Peter's demeanour at falling off the wagon and being shelled shocked by Carla's pregnancy as him not being happy with the said Carla. Give me strength. Scratch that, give me a weapon and I'll kill her meself! Awful storyline which should have ended when Peter chucked her for good.

There aren't enough words for me to sound off about Maddie and Sophie (but that won't stop me :blush::D). Two completely unlikeable p!ss taking young harridans. I used to hate Maddie but I actually think I prefer her to the know-it-all, screeching banshee that is Sophie but believe me that's not saying much as I loathe the pair of them and have zero interest in them and their problems. Perhaps they should hitch hike down to London and hook up with Rosie, at least they'd be off my TV screen.

Sally's a bloomin' mug too. Who else would put up with a lodger who not only stole off her, stole off her ex-husband but also broke into her house and attacked her boyfriend and then blackmailed him? But she still let her stay to keep the spoilt little madam that is Sophie happy. As if!!! I couldn't believe it when Sophie had the cheek to say "don't talk to her like that !" when Sally was quite rightly tearing a strip off Maddie for not only all the above but for lying about her age and that she did have a place to stay after she'd lied about both. Sophie wants to learn what family loyalty means instead of thinking with her bits. Oh and Kevin wants to remind her that she still owes him £20,000 while she's getting all high and mighty.

Give me Steve, Miss Hell, Lloyd and Andrea ANY day over Peter/Tina and Sophie/Maddie. I know they're just daft filler but at least they don't make my teeth itch!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Off button for me from now on until it starts picking up.

How will you know when this is ?
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me, did you enjoy tonight's episodes? I'm a big fan of Corrie, but under SB its awful, truly awful. When ts ike this you cannot defend it, do not defend SB, he is ruining the best soap beyond recognition. By all means when its good, defend it, but when its like this you simply look desperate.

Then write to ITV and make a compliant but it won't make any difference he's there till next year

People say SB doesn't know Corrie's history well last night Emily's late husband Ernest was brought up in a conversation in the Rovers. The rich history the show has will always be there also he's had lot of bad luck since taken over yet still he's kept Corrie top of the ratings and made it feel normal again.

Ever since SB axed Dennis the knifes have been out for him on this forum ever since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit that it's a long time since CS had no storylines at all that I want to watch. The Phelan stuff was horrible tonight and I suspect will have upset a lot of people who have been pressured into sex. Genuinely nasty to watch. I am amazed by how bad it's been (though to be fair, Debbie Rush was brilliant. Shame I will be avoiding the rest of this.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I loved it tonight and the ep thread was the funniest thread I've ever seen, so I'm more than happy. :)

Haven't read it yet O and J, but look forward to reading it - sometimes even the worst episodes make for the best of DS threads on the subject lol.

When you don't laugh you'll literally cry sometimes - often proves to be the case.

I have a tip for the OP - watch the episode on silent (like I do with other things sometimes I'm not too keen on) and concentrate on the DS "as live" thread - thats always guaranteed to cheer you up and give you a good laugh.

Or one can always switch off altogether - which I don't think I'll be doing anytime soon - Phelan and Tina etc keeps me watching, no matter what.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    It's diabolical what Blackburn is being allowed to get away with, he is destroying Corrie.

He'll be allowed to carry on until ITV see a change in viewers unfortunately, so the quickest way to get shot of him is by turning off and hope everyone else follows.

It's definitely Blackburn, EastEnders was going through the same thing under Lorraine Newman . A new producer needs to come in with a fresh writing team and then look at characters that are not working- there is a lot of deadwood in Corrie at the mo but it starts with Blackburn.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Phelan story last evening was superbly written and acted, real drama.
    Compare that with the Sophie and Maddie 'story', dire writing and even more dire acting. It is impossible to understand how it came from the same team. How old is Sophie - 11? 12?
    Can anyone explain this enigma?
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    It's definitely Blackburn, EastEnders was going through the same thing under Lorraine Newman . A new producer needs to come in with a fresh writing team and then look at characters that are not working- there is a lot of deadwood in Corrie at the mo but it starts with Blackburn.

Corrie IMO has been about fun and not taking itself too seriously. OK there have been a few social issues in Corrie that reflect real life but these have been dealt with subtlety. However, the Phelan story line, bullying, extortion, sex in exchange for a piece of paper is a story line too dark for me. SB thinks he is writing for an American soap. I couldnt bear to watch the cheap, seedy hotel scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I couldn't even be bothered to tune back in for the 20:30 episode last night. There's no spark to the show at all, everything just feels like it's going through the motions.

I hate the way that most of the new characters are being introduced. For some reason, it feels VERY forced. For example, the girl that works in the bistro (so dull I can't even remember her name) seems to be loved by all the other characters even though most of her scenes just involve her butting into other peoples private conversations in the bistro. The same thing is happening with her brother and that new family who are opening up the gym. Totally forced.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I think the Anna and Phelan stuff has been well acted I am just left thinking 'but why did she do it'. Why did she get dolled up too, why not go as you were. Also why has no one just said, 'we are being blackmailed' and go to the police. As far as I am aware black mail is a serious offence.

The Maddie stuff is just terrible. I don't care about either of them. That Maddie is just rude filth and wish she would get lost! As for Sophie, she is such a bloody needy desperate girl.

Tina and Peter I just still don't believe. Out if no where she starts to fancy him, sleep with him and be desperatley in love. Tina has never behaved like this before, acting like a bunny boiler.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is beyond belief...

The interesting thing is that there were threads just like this when Phil Collinson was in charge. And Kim Crowther. And before her...

I simply don't see what's wrong with Corrie...

Phelan's storyline is good, and Phelan is a great villain.

Peter and Tina is pretty entertaining , and it's leading towards the murder, which will be great.

Maria's actually getting a storyline.

There's still plenty of humour.

The new characters are good.

Someone explain what, exactly, is the problem right now?

If you ask me, some of you folks are expecting the worst from SB and are therefore seeing the worst. I went in with an open mind, and I've liked Corrie under him.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ursula321 wrote: »
    Although I think the Anna and Phelan stuff has been well acted I am just left thinking 'but why did she do it'. Why did she get dolled up too, why not go as you were. Also why has no one just said, 'we are being blackmailed' and go to the police. As far as I am aware black mail is a serious offence.

The Maddie stuff is just terrible. I don't care about either of them. That Maddie is just rude filth and wish she would get lost! As for Sophie, she is such a bloody needy desperate girl.

Tina and Peter I just still don't believe. Out if no where she starts to fancy him, sleep with him and be desperatley in love. Tina has never behaved like this before, acting like a bunny boiler.

Blackmail is a serious offence, you are correct, but so is ABH/GBH, and considering Gary has a very colorful criminal record already, he'd be in a lot of trouble.

Also, Tina hasn't acted like this before, but think of how much she's gone through in the last few years. It's probably driven her a bit mad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andera is just awful too. Wish Lloyd could get with someone else, like Liz again maybe. Lloyd could do with some better storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Blackmail is a serious offence, you are correct, but so is ABH/GBH, and considering Gary has a very colorful criminal record already, he'd be in a lot of trouble.

Also, Tina hasn't acted like this before, but think of how much she's gone through in the last few years. It's probably driven her a bit mad.

Fair enough about Tina.

Could Phelan really use weeks old CCTV footage though as evidence that he was attacked if he hasn't reported it. As far as I know he didn't even go to hospital. I think he would be charged, not sure what would happen to Gary but it would be worth calling Phelans bluff I think.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    How will you know when this is ?

:D:D He can wait until The Great and The Good of DS tell him. :D:D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thamwet wrote: »
    This is beyond belief...

The interesting thing is that there were threads just like this when Phil Collinson was in charge. And Kim Crowther. And before her...

I simply don't see what's wrong with Corrie...

Phelan's storyline is good, and Phelan is a great villain.

Peter and Tina is pretty entertaining , and it's leading towards the murder, which will be great.

Maria's actually getting a storyline.

There's still plenty of humour.

The new characters are good.

Someone explain what, exactly, is the problem right now?

If you ask me, some of you folks are expecting the worst from SB and are therefore seeing the worst. I went in with an open mind, and I've liked Corrie under him.

There is nothing wrong with it , it constantly gets high ratings, more than the other soaps most of the time, so people are still enjoying it, there is a minority though that do not like SB( I am not that keen on him for what he did in Emmer) and these threads pop up from time to time, to me it is the most watchable of all of the soaps.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I've got people talking anyway. :D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I've got people talking anyway. :D

In my household it was about the Anna/Phelan/ rape discussions. Is a soap the right medium for such an issue or not?
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I can add my opinion on CS as I'm not a regular viewer and haven't been for years. My mum however has watched the show all her life so I do get to see it indirectly with her.

I had the 'pleasure' to sit through the show last night and have to say I was shocked at the decline of this once great show. I grew up with Hilda, Bet, Alf Roberts, Curly, Raquel. The show was warm, funny, and had a genuine heart.

Now we have the most unlikeable couple in Soap history with Sawphie and Meddeh. Are we supposed to like either? They just shout at one another. Who cares?

Tangoed Teeneh and Peteh, again totally unlikeable and Carla who talks through her nose and now suddenly wants a babeh. Then there's the dreadful Windass clan. With Anna sleeping with some low life thinking it will solve their problems. I think not, it will just lead to more shouting from Gareh, Izzeh and Owen. And the dreadful Fay....all the bullying she did has obviously been forgotten about.

And as for the hilarious 'comedy' (straight out a carry-on film) of Steve falling on top of her from Dancing on Ice just as Michelle and Red Dwarf man walk in.......was this written by a 5 year old?

The show needs to go back to its roots. A new family - likeable, that we care about. Some decent storylines, characters and actors.

The great Annie Walker, Ena Sharples, Bet Lynch, Hilda Ogden were iconic. Now we have Michelle (fold arms and look miserable), Sawphie - kill her off, Steve (whose been turned into an idiot), and Fizz. No one will remember them in 30 years time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I'm sure this has been said ad-nausium on here in recent weeks, but I thought I'd add my two-pennith.

It's ok, that's why this forum is here so people can have their 2p on situations.

I mainly agree with you, but I'm finding Phelan ok at the moment, and with Katy in the family they are manageable also.

However, I cannot handle the Sophie/Maddie stuff. Maddie is weird/annoying, but ever since Sophie turned into a lesbian, she has been so annoying and so up herself. Acting like a good person in the soup kitchen, and acting like a hero by appearing to be willing to sleep rough. Hope this storyline ends quick and she's back home where she belongs.
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Then write to ITV and make a compliant but it won't make any difference he's there till next year

People say SB doesn't know Corrie's history well last night Emily's late husband Ernest was brought up in a conversation in the Rovers. The rich history the show has will always be there also he's had lot of bad luck since taken over yet still he's kept Corrie top of the ratings and made it feel normal again.

Ever since SB axed Dennis the knifes have been out for him on this forum ever since.

Axing an original character isnt really respecting the shows history, what positives come from axing Dennis?
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, it's more realistic to have a villain like Phelan who is not a serial killer for a change, and although the sl is a grim for a family show, he and Debbie Rush are acting it well. Although the rest of the family are really annoying.

Sophie and maddeh, well words fail me really. Both awful, unsympathetic and a really bad example of a same sex relationship too.

Carla suddenly an earth mother? Steve henpecked and ridiculed? Hope he dumps Miss Hell for Eva.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    :D:D He can wait until The Great and The Good of DS tell him. :D:D

A fine answer !!!!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackburn is missing a trick. What is really needed in Corrie is a jobless Slovakian family who are living on benefits and chucking all their rubbish in the back ginnel. :D

We've had black people, we've had mixed race people, we've got plenty of Asians now we need the Slovaks.